    and have to be renewed twice as often (making them effectively four times as
    expensive)?

    I would really love to understand this one...

    BTMO, Nov 4, 2005

  2. BTMO

    EMB Guest

    BTMO wrote:
    > ... why passports with a 50 cent chip imbedded in them cost twice as much,
    > and have to be renewed twice as often (making them effectively four times as
    > expensive)?
    >
    > I would really love to understand this one...

    Bruce Simpson has asked the same thing over at http://www.aardvark.co.nz
    in his column today. I expect there a bit of commentray on this in the
    forums there by now.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 4, 2005

  3. BTMO

    Joy Guest

    "BTMO" <> wrote in message
    > ... why passports with a 50 cent chip imbedded in them cost twice as much,
    > and have to be renewed twice as often (making them effectively four times
    > as expensive)?
    >
    > I would really love to understand this one...

    Internal affairs seems to have a culture of passing on all and sundry costs
    to the public. For instance they might figure in say all the cost of
    upgrading their computer programs, and their computers, their training
    costs, a new trainee staff member, extra acc costs, inefficiency costs and
    anything like that onto the cost of the new passport. Then the IA minister
    will not need to stroke his face on tv when he's telling us his lies. IA did
    this with certificate costs for a while but lobbying them worked a little
    and they relented. IA seems to be inefficient anyway, I'd question if they
    have someone there who could estimate the costs properly.
    Joy

    Joy, Nov 4, 2005
  4. BTMO

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:48:51 +1300, "BTMO" <> wrote:

    >... why passports with a 50 cent chip imbedded in them cost twice as much,
    >and have to be renewed twice as often (making them effectively four times as
    >expensive)?
    >
    >I would really love to understand this one...

    As this is a US government requirement they should pay for it, why does the
    user, that does not need it have to pay..

    XP, Nov 4, 2005
  5. BTMO

    BTMO Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote

    >> I would really love to understand this one...

    > Bruce Simpson has asked the same thing over at http://www.aardvark.co.nz
    > in his column today. I expect there a bit of commentray on this in the
    > forums there by now.

    Bruce!

    I haven't been to Bruce's site since I quit Telecom (science is a MUCH
    better life!!!) - I will just duck over there and...

    (-does so-)

    Yep. He hit the nail on the head, alright.

    Incidentally, I don't think I am allowed back in Australia any more.

    Apparently thinking bad thoughts about the Howard govt is illegal these
    days...

    Great huh?

    BTMO, Nov 4, 2005
  6. BTMO

    EMB Guest

    BTMO wrote:

    > Incidentally, I don't think I am allowed back in Australia any more.

    That's their loss then.

    > Apparently thinking bad thoughts about the Howard govt is illegal these
    > days...

    Must be a lot of criminals out there then.... hang on, Australia was
    already full of criminals. ;-)

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 4, 2005
  7. BTMO

    BTMO Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote

    >> Incidentally, I don't think I am allowed back in Australia any more.

    > That's their loss then.
    >
    >> Apparently thinking bad thoughts about the Howard govt is illegal these
    >> days...

    > Must be a lot of criminals out there then.... hang on, Australia was
    > already full of criminals. ;-)

    The pricks are welcome to it.

    Howard is now, and has always been, a sleazy little scumbag....

    Unfortunately, he has taken the country down with him.

    BTMO, Nov 4, 2005
  8. BTMO

    steve Guest

    BTMO wrote:

    > ... why passports with a 50 cent chip imbedded in them cost twice as much,
    > and have to be renewed twice as often (making them effectively four times
    > as expensive)?

    The life of a passport was cut to 5 years a while back.

    > I would really love to understand this one...

    Another question i haven't heard anyone ask is how they are going to get
    that biometric info to put it into your passport.

    Is it just a scan of a photo you provide? In which case, the system can be
    fiddled and what's the point?

    Or is everyone going to have to physically visit a passport office and get
    their faces scanned?

    That will cost a lot of people a lot more than $150.

    steve, Nov 4, 2005
  9. BTMO

    steve Guest

    BTMO wrote:

    > "EMB" <> wrote
    >
    >>> Incidentally, I don't think I am allowed back in Australia any more.

    >> That's their loss then.
    >>
    >>> Apparently thinking bad thoughts about the Howard govt is illegal these
    >>> days...

    >> Must be a lot of criminals out there then.... hang on, Australia was
    >> already full of criminals. ;-)

    > The pricks are welcome to it.
    >
    > Howard is now, and has always been, a sleazy little scumbag....
    >
    > Unfortunately, he has taken the country down with him.

    Heartily agree with that....and the majority of Aussies have consented to it
    - informed or not.

    Negligent in charge of a voting paper.

    steve, Nov 4, 2005
  10. BTMO

    steve Guest

    Joy wrote:

    > Internal affairs seems to have a culture of passing on all and sundry
    > costs
    > to the public. For instance they might figure in say all the cost of
    > upgrading their computer programs, and their computers, their training
    > costs, a new trainee staff member, extra acc costs, inefficiency costs and
    > anything like that onto the cost of the new passport. Then the IA
    > minister will not need to stroke his face on tv when he's telling us his
    > lies. IA did this with certificate costs for a while but lobbying them
    > worked a little and they relented. IA seems to be inefficient anyway, I'd
    > question if they have someone there who could estimate the costs properly.
    > Joy

    Peter Dunne was Internal Affairs Minister under National in the 1990s IIRC.

    steve, Nov 4, 2005
  11. BTMO

    steve Guest

    XP wrote:

    > As this is a US government requirement they should pay for it, why does
    > the
    > user, that does not need it have to pay..

    Because if you don't have one of these passports, you'll need to apply for a
    visa even to transit the US on the way to London.

    Though you'd think Air NZ would be looking at flying via Singapore in
    future.

    Just to keep options open.

    steve, Nov 4, 2005
  12. BTMO wrote:
    > .... why passports with a 50 cent chip imbedded in them cost twice as much,
    > and have to be renewed twice as often (making them effectively four times as
    > expensive)?
    >
    > I would really love to understand this one...

    Because you can travel 4 times as far with them?

    Actually you can probably travel a fraction less as the passport cost
    comes out of your travel budget!

    A L P

    Myftrefs Voleftrangler Snr., Nov 4, 2005
  13. BTMO wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote
    >

    >>>I would really love to understand this one...

    >>Bruce Simpson has asked the same thing over at http://www.aardvark.co.nz
    >>in his column today. I expect there a bit of commentray on this in the
    >>forums there by now.

    > Bruce!
    >
    > I haven't been to Bruce's site since I quit Telecom (science is a MUCH
    > better life!!!) - I will just duck over there and...
    >
    > (-does so-)
    >
    > Yep. He hit the nail on the head, alright.
    >
    > Incidentally, I don't think I am allowed back in Australia any more.
    >
    > Apparently thinking bad thoughts about the Howard govt is illegal these
    > days...
    >
    > Great huh?

    Shit, wait for the influx of illegal Aussie refugees caught mid-OE.

    A L P

    Myftrefs Voleftrangler Snr., Nov 4, 2005
  14. BTMO wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote
    >

    >>>Incidentally, I don't think I am allowed back in Australia any more.

    >>That's their loss then.
    >>

    >>>Apparently thinking bad thoughts about the Howard govt is illegal these
    >>>days...

    >>Must be a lot of criminals out there then.... hang on, Australia was
    >>already full of criminals. ;-)

    > The pricks are welcome to it.
    >
    > Howard is now, and has always been, a sleazy little scumbag....
    >
    > Unfortunately, he has taken the country down with him.

    Isn't he a frightful little shifty shit! How bad was the opposition,
    how did he get voted in AGAIN?

    A L P

    Myftrefs Voleftrangler Snr., Nov 4, 2005
  15. BTMO

    Peter Guest

    BTMO wrote:

    > ... why passports with a 50 cent chip imbedded in them cost twice as much,
    > and have to be renewed twice as often (making them effectively four times
    > as expensive)?
    >
    > I would really love to understand this one...

    The passports in effect cost four times as much since validity has been
    halved to five years.

    The real reason is that Labour needs to finance interest free student loans,
    the cost of other election bribes as well as the cost of keeping in sweet
    with Peter Dunne and Winston Peters.

    Peter, Nov 4, 2005
  16. BTMO

    BTMO Guest

    "Myftrefs Voleftrangler Snr." <> wrote

    >> Howard is now, and has always been, a sleazy little scumbag....
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, he has taken the country down with him.

    > Isn't he a frightful little shifty shit! How bad was the opposition, how
    > did he get voted in AGAIN?

    A couple of points...

    The opposition is *appalling*!!

    "The new laws don't go far enough! They need to be more draconion!"

    Secondly, Australia is rapidly becoming a completely urbanised old folks
    home.

    "Oh John (they croak in their quivery voices), protect us from the evil
    spectres you have been telling us about for the last 8 years!"

    Honestly, the place is like Tauranga...

    BTMO, Nov 4, 2005
  17. BTMO

    BTMO Guest

    "Myftrefs Voleftrangler Snr." <> wrote

    >> Apparently thinking bad thoughts about the Howard govt is illegal these
    >> days...
    >>
    >> Great huh?
    >>

    > Shit, wait for the influx of illegal Aussie refugees caught mid-OE.

    They won't get me. I doubt I will ever go back - except to visit
    relatives...

    BTMO, Nov 4, 2005
  18. BTMO

    BTMO Guest

    "steve" <> wrote

    >> ... why passports with a 50 cent chip imbedded in them cost twice as
    >> much,
    >> and have to be renewed twice as often (making them effectively four times
    >> as expensive)?

    > The life of a passport was cut to 5 years a while back.

    Indeed it was. This is merely phase two...

    >> I would really love to understand this one...

    > Another question i haven't heard anyone ask is how they are going to get
    > that biometric info to put it into your passport.
    >
    > Is it just a scan of a photo you provide? In which case, the system can be
    > fiddled and what's the point?

    Because it makes the simple minded believe that Something is being done
    about terrorism (capitalisation deliberate)

    > Or is everyone going to have to physically visit a passport office and get
    > their faces scanned?

    They will outsource it, like they did with drivers licences I imagine. Then
    there will be no opportunity for abuse. Just like driver's licences...

    > That will cost a lot of people a lot more than $150.

    That is phase three...

    BTMO, Nov 4, 2005
  19. BTMO wrote:

    > Honestly, the place is like Tauranga...

    Good god,that bad,oh,by the way,Tauranga,in English
    is Waitingtodieville.
    grumpy

    grumpyoldhori, Nov 4, 2005
  20. "BTMO" <> wrote in message

    > "Myftrefs Voleftrangler Snr." <> wrote
    >
    > >> Apparently thinking bad thoughts about the Howard govt is illegal these
    > >> days...
    > >>
    > >> Great huh?
    > >>

    > > Shit, wait for the influx of illegal Aussie refugees caught mid-OE.

    > They won't get me. I doubt I will ever go back - except to visit
    > relatives...

    Shame

    baggly grimmel, Nov 4, 2005