    If I leave the laptop connected wirelessly and run the Add Printer wizard it
    will not show the printer attached to the desktop, I can only see the pritner
    if the laptop is wired.
    Nih, Feb 14, 2008

  2. Nih

    Nih Guest

    I wanted to add a few things, the printer is definately shared and works just
    fine when both are connecte via cat5. I am running WPA2 encryption on the
    wireless, both computers are in the same workgroup.

    Are there some ports that Windows closes once the wireless is enabled which
    may be blocking access to the printer?

    In summary: both pc's wired = can access shared files and print to shared
    printer. Can also see the shared printer in add printer wizard.

    one wireless/one wired = can access shared files and printer for a day or so
    then it stops working, at no point does the shared printer show up in add
    printer wizard when connected wirelessly
    Nih, Feb 14, 2008

  3. Hi
    As long as the Wireless works, using the Network is the same with wire or
    wireless,
    Try to change the computer with the printer to static IP. By doing so the
    printer would be on the network with the same address regardless of DHCP IP
    assignments.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 14, 2008
  4. Nih

    Nih Guest

    Both the laptop and pc have static IP addresses. What I noticed today (on my
    dad's network) is I went upstairs to the desktop and woke it up, I saw that
    the network connection icon in the system tray (wired connection) was
    animated, it was acquiring network address even though it is static. Is it
    possible the NIC on his desktop went into standby when the computer kicked
    into standby? I have it set to turn the monitor off after a while but NOT to
    turn off the harddrive or go into hibernation.

    I'm going to take a look at his power settings next time I am there

    Nih, Feb 15, 2008
  5. Nih

    Nih Guest

    For anyone else having this issue I seemed to have fixed it by doing the
    following. I activated Windows Wireless Zero instead of using the software
    that came with the wireless adapter. This allowed me to run the Windows
    Wireless Network wizard, once that completed it set up the shared printer up
    automatically and it has not dropped the connection in several days. Before
    this it would drop after an hour or two.
    Nih, Feb 22, 2008