can see each share folder/computer but only one can access?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jun 2, 2005.

  1. desktop on xp home 4 users and my daughter wishs to transfercontents of her
    "my music" and "my pictures" folder to her new laptop which also will be of
    same

    cable modem on comcast (using nic for desktop) with linksys wrt54g
    router/wireless for laptop.

    no issues with internet connections.

    read all i could here about setting up wireless network and file sharing.

    setup her 2 folders to be shared on desktop.
    did the same for her laptop.

    enabled tc/ip on wins tab of both computers.

    desktop can see laptop and access the 2 folders fine.

    laptop can see desktop folders but when trying to access them gets error
    message "hvvkq/my pictures is not accessible. you might not have permission
    to use this network resource. contact the admin of this server to see if you
    have access permission. access denied."

    any help greatly appreciated.

    thanx

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jun 2, 2005

  2. should read enabled netbios over tc/ip o wins tab.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jun 2, 2005

  3. Mark, try disabling any fire-wall that you are using. You must disable it
    in the services folder under computer management in the control panel. Then
    try to ping the host computer. If you have done this then you have the same
    issue I have and unfortunately I have been unsuccessful. I get the same error
    message you describe when the fire-wall for my anti-virus software is
    running. When I removed the fire-wall I get "Access is denied when trying a
    net view (Host computer) dos cmd.

    =?Utf-8?B?cGNkcnVtcw==?=, Jun 2, 2005
  4. i have done that turned off nav 2005 and windows firewall on both computers.

    thanx

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Mark,

    I have the same problem also using very similar equipment. The strange
    thing is that I did not have this problem before I had a hard disk crash on
    my Laptop. After rebuilding the hard disk, my laptop was no longer allowed
    to access my desktop. Before the crash, each computer could access the other
    just fine.

    Sorry that this is no help, but you are not alone. I have tried disabling
    all firewalls in my network, but that hasn't worked. Good luck. If you find
    a solution, please post it.

    Mike

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZVo=?=, Jun 3, 2005
  6. I spoke to soon. The fix in this link helped me.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=177078.

    I increased the Registry variable to 21 in both my laptop and my desktop and
    now they can see each other.

    Hope this helps you too. It was a tip given by Peter in one of the threads
    from 1/24/2005.

    MikeZ

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZVo=?=, Jun 3, 2005