    And here, to add insult to injury, when you want to replace the part that
    isn’t covered by the warranty anyway, suddenly they claim it voids the
    warranty. That is just unacceptable.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 23, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Feb 23, 8:24 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > <http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010022201735OSBZMS>
    >
    > If you look at the fine print, you’ll probably notice that your vendor’s
    > warranty doesn’t cover the copy of Microsoft Windows that comes with it..
    >
    > To me, they are trying to have their cake and eat it. They insist on selling
    > Windows with the hardware as an indivisible package, yet they won’t treat it
    > as an indivisible package for warranty purposes.
    >
    > And here, to add insult to injury, when you want to replace the part that
    > isn’t covered by the warranty anyway, suddenly they claim it voids the
    > warranty. That is just unacceptable.

    For computers sold to 'consumers' for private use, this is probably
    not relevant since warranties cannot oust consumer protection law.
    This would include 'fallout' from a buggy operating system packaged
    with the computer.

    There is only one area I can think of where an alternative OS can
    cause hardware problems and this relates to power management and
    overheating, to the extent that the OS can control fans, processor
    speed etc.
    peterwn, Feb 23, 2010