    recoverable were ones that were moved from the camera to a PC, rather than
    deleted from the camera like I did this morning. Would that make a
    difference?

    Stephen Stormont, Oct 14, 2003

  2. "Stephen Stormont" <> wrote in message news:<XDKib.11536$>...
    > I have a Fuji Finepix 1300 with a PNY 32 MB SmartMedia card. I stupidly
    > erased all the images from the card this morning (including pictures from
    > the scattering of my father's ashes at sea). I've tried numerous data
    > recovery programs; PhotoRecovery, Image Recall, PhotoRescue and have had the
    > same result with all three.
    >
    > 12 images that were taken about 2 weeks ago are recovered and 4 images
    > that were taken about 2 months ago are recovered. None of the pictures that
    > I just took yesterday are recovered. I haven't done anything to the card
    > since I deleted the images this morning.
    >
    > All efforts have been done with the card in the camera. Would I have
    > better luck buying a card reader and trying that? The 16 images that are
    > recoverable were ones that were moved from the camera to a PC, rather than
    > deleted from the camera like I did this morning. Would that make a
    > difference?

    You might also try a HEX Editor like AXE...... BUT be very
    careful and make a copy of the file or complete card first and work on
    that. If you're lucky the file names might just have the high bit
    set, if that's still how it is done these days.

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Oct 14, 2003

  3. "Stephen Stormont" <> wrote in message news:<XDKib.11536$>...
    > I have a Fuji Finepix 1300 with a PNY 32 MB SmartMedia card. I stupidly
    > erased all the images from the card this morning (including pictures from
    > the scattering of my father's ashes at sea). I've tried numerous data
    > recovery programs; PhotoRecovery, Image Recall, PhotoRescue and have had the
    > same result with all three.
    >
    > 12 images that were taken about 2 weeks ago are recovered and 4 images
    > that were taken about 2 months ago are recovered. None of the pictures that
    > I just took yesterday are recovered. I haven't done anything to the card
    > since I deleted the images this morning.
    >
    > All efforts have been done with the card in the camera. Would I have
    > better luck buying a card reader and trying that? The 16 images that are
    > recoverable were ones that were moved from the camera to a PC, rather than
    > deleted from the camera like I did this morning. Would that make a
    > difference?

    I've just downloaded the latest version of the AXE hex editor.
    I then took a photo with my Fuji s602 Pro Zoom. I then connected the
    camera to my PC and viewed the image contents with the hex editor. I
    then erased the image and then reconnected the camera to the PC and
    ran the hex editor and there was no sign of the image in the camera.
    This is as I would have expected.

    So in answer to you question, yes, I think you are going to
    have to use a card reader in order to perform any editing on your
    SmartMedia card.

    I also noticed that very near the begining of the file the
    following hex digits appeared.... 2D 2D 00 2A Now 2D decodes to M
    giving a pair of characters MM. This tells me that the file was
    written by a Motorola processor. If the two digits decoded to II then
    the file would have been written by an Intel processor. Also the 2A
    decodes to 42 which tells me that it is a TIF file. The file however
    is in JPEG format.

    Regards Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Oct 14, 2003
  4. I have more information to add. I connected the SmartMedia card to a
    standalone reader, but that didn't allow for recovery of anymore images.

    I used EasyRecovery 6 and it found 74 files, where as every other
    utility only found 16 files. Easy Revovery lists the condition of the files
    that I really want (from 10/12) as just D (for deleted).

    I can recover those files to the hard drive, but they will not open in
    any image program. I opened them in AXE Hex editor and the Bytes are just
    FF FF FF FF FF all the way through the file. ANSI text reads as
    ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

    If I open in AXE one of the 16 files that can be successfully restored
    from the SmartMedia, the file looks fine. ANSI reads as: FUJIFILM
    FinePix1300 H  H  Digital Camera FinePix1300 Ver1.24 2003:10:02
    23:10:50

    I guess there is no hope for getting the files I really need back since
    the structure appears to be totally trashed? I still don't understand why I
    can recover images from 10/2/2003 but not 10/12/2003, especially since I
    didn't take anymore pictures after I deleted the stored images from the
    camera.

    Steve

    Stephen Stormont, Oct 15, 2003
  5. "Stephen Stormont" <> wrote in message news:<VV2jb.20530$>...
> [...]

    > > I then took a photo with my Fuji s602 Pro Zoom. I then connected the
    > > camera to my PC and viewed the image contents with the hex editor. I
    > > then erased the image and then reconnected the camera to the PC and
    > > ran the hex editor and there was no sign of the image in the camera.
    > > This is as I would have expected.
    > >
    > > So in answer to you question, yes, I think you are going to
    > > have to use a card reader in order to perform any editing on your
    > > SmartMedia card.
    > >
    > > I also noticed that very near the begining of the file the
    > > following hex digits appeared.... 2D 2D 00 2A Now 2D decodes to M
    > > giving a pair of characters MM. This tells me that the file was
    > > written by a Motorola processor. If the two digits decoded to II then
    > > the file would have been written by an Intel processor. Also the 2A
    > > decodes to 42 which tells me that it is a TIF file. The file however

    Steve,
    are you saying that you can recover the file names but not the
    data in the file? The hex FF would seem to indicate that the image
    has been erased with all bits set.

    Did you perform some in camera function like editing? A mate of
    mine lost a whole weekends worth of shots by viewing them in camera,
    zooming in and out and shuffling them around while waiting at the
    airport. A slip of the thumb in those menus can loose the lot. All I
    ever do is just a quick view and then get them out of the camera PDQ.

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Yeah, I accidentally did a "Delete All" instead of just "Delete" on an
    image on the camera.

    Stephen Stormont, Oct 18, 2003
  7. Stephen Stormont

    Reg Hamilton Guest

    Try www.RecoverMyFiles.com and see if you get better results - the trial
    version has a preview.

    Good luck

    Reg Hamilton, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Stephen Stormont

    mfa Guest

    I was very successful with a program called jpegdump available at...
    http://www.goto.onlinehome.de/dsc/jpegdump.htm

    Where other programs could not recover a photo, this program often was
    able to recover the 320x240 16kb preview image from the file. No
    where near to the real photo, but still better than nothing for those
    lost once-in-a-lifetime shots.

    mfa, Oct 20, 2003
  9. Stephen Stormont

    BF Guest

    Try Norton Utilities unerase.

    BF, Oct 20, 2003
  10. On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:01:56 GMT, "BF" <> wrote:
    This works well even brought back images I erased 4 years ago

    http://www.lc-tech.com/photorecovery.htm

    --
    Brian E.Ashley Ashley Technical Services

    (remove 'nospam' to reply)

    Brian E. Ashley, Oct 20, 2003