    shop or when it was wired? Seems like it must be a router config issue, but
    I can ping everthing, desktop, router, outside world. It's not a DNS issue
    because I can ping urls. Any ideas?

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJrYXRl?=, Aug 23, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bXJrYXRl?=

    Guest

    On 23-Aug-2006, =?Utf-8?B?bXJrYXRl?= <> wrote:

    > Seems like it must be a router config issue, but
    > I can ping everthing, desktop, router, outside world. It's not a DNS issue
    > because I can ping urls. Any ideas?

    Ping (echo request) is a different protocol.
    If you can get a dotted quad IP address from the ping enter that in your
    browser instead of the URL.
    Personally I'd suspect that your security settings are too high but it
    wouldn't explain why the wired connection works, or wireless working
    at a public access point.
    Try ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt on desktop and
    laptop, see where they differ as far as wireless adapters
    are concerned.

    , Aug 23, 2006

  3. Two new pieces of info:

    1) the problem seems to be related to packet size. If I ping with a packet
    larger than around 200 bytes, it fails, whereas my desktop doesn't.
    2) I was able to try it on another wireless network and it doesn't work
    there. So the only wireless network that it worked (the coffee shop) was an
    11g network, whereas the two that didn't work are both 11b networks. My
    laptop's internal wireless is supposed to be compatilble with 11b and 11g.

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJrYXRl?=, Aug 23, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bXJrYXRl?=

    Lem Guest

    mrkate wrote:
    > Two new pieces of info:
    >
    > 1) the problem seems to be related to packet size. If I ping with a packet
    > larger than around 200 bytes, it fails, whereas my desktop doesn't.
    > 2) I was able to try it on another wireless network and it doesn't work
    > there. So the only wireless network that it worked (the coffee shop) was an
    > 11g network, whereas the two that didn't work are both 11b networks. My
    > laptop's internal wireless is supposed to be compatilble with 11b and 11g.
    >

    > "" wrote:
    >
    >> On 23-Aug-2006, =?Utf-8?B?bXJrYXRl?= <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seems like it must be a router config issue, but
    >>> I can ping everthing, desktop, router, outside world. It's not a DNS issue
    >>> because I can ping urls. Any ideas?

    >> Ping (echo request) is a different protocol.
    >> If you can get a dotted quad IP address from the ping enter that in your
    >> browser instead of the URL.
    >> Personally I'd suspect that your security settings are too high but it
    >> wouldn't explain why the wired connection works, or wireless working
    >> at a public access point.
    >> Try ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt on desktop and
    >> laptop, see where they differ as far as wireless adapters
    >> are concerned.

    There may be a setting in the laptop's wifi adapter configuration
    utility that sets it to g-only or mixed. This is definitely the case
    for wireless g routers, but I can't recall if I've seen such a setting
    for wifi adapters. You probably will have to use the configuration
    utility from the laptop/wifi mfr for this.

    Lem, Aug 23, 2006
  5. After mucking with it some more, turns out that if I set the wireless driver
    to use "11 Mbps" instead of "best rate" that solves the problem for the 2nd
    11b network. As for home, that still did not work. I tried an older 11b
    only pcmcia card for the laptop at home and that worked. So seems like some
    incompatibility between my built in wifi and various wifi networks. BTW my
    laptop is an hp dv5000 model, the built-in wifi is a broadcom.

    =?Utf-8?B?bXJrYXRl?=, Aug 24, 2006