    it to multicast sparse mode. My question is whether multicast sparse
    mode get\use the routing information created by dense mode?

    , Dec 13, 2007

  2. Guest

    On Dec 13, 1:30 am, "" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a query related to exchanging roting information.
    >
    > Initially I have enabled multicast dense mode . Now i want to change
    > it to multicast sparse mode. My question is whether multicast sparse
    > mode get\use the routing information created by dense mode?

    Harish,

    Good question. I think the answer can differ, depending on how you
    migrate. You'll probably want to lab it up and experiment with
    different ways to migrate (some routers in dense or sparse-only, some
    routers with an interface in dense and another in sparse, etc..). Let
    us know how it goes.

    neteng
    http://blog.humanmodem.com

    , Dec 14, 2007

  3. bthetford Guest

    On Dec 13, 2:30 am, "" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a query related to exchanging roting information.
    >
    > Initially I have enabled multicast dense mode . Now i want to change
    > it to multicast sparse mode. My question is whether multicast sparse
    > mode get\use the routing information created by dense mode?

    What about sparse-dense mode, during migration?
    Methinks that will take care of it for you.

    AFAIK, the multicast routing table is the multicast routing table - ie
    it doesn't matter if it's sparse or dense - it should all be there.
    sho ip mroute

    bthetford, Dec 20, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Dec 19, 8:47 pm, bthetford <> wrote:
    > On Dec 13, 2:30 am, "" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,

    > > I have a query related to exchanging roting information.

    > > Initially I have enabled multicast dense mode . Now i want to change
    > > it to multicast sparse mode. My question is whether multicast sparse
    > > mode get\use the routing information created by dense mode?

    > What about sparse-dense mode, during migration?
    > Methinks that will take care of it for you.
    >
    > AFAIK, the multicast routing table is the multicast routing table - ie
    > it doesn't matter if it's sparse or dense - it should all be there.
    > sho ip mroute

    After thinking about this more, I don't think it will be to big of an
    issue. Without the 'no ip pim dm-fallback' command configured, sparse
    mode will fall back to dense mode when an RP isn't reachable. So you
    might want to wait to bring your RP online until everyone is
    configured in sparse mode. Just a thought.

    neteng
    http://blog.humanmodem.com

    , Dec 20, 2007