    of booting trouble to some extent.

    Thanks.

    , Mar 13, 2007

  2. On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:27:03 -0700, joshidm wrote:

    > Please redirect me if I have stumbled on wrong Group.
    >
    > Blue screen causes lot of trouble to me.
    >
    > If I partition the primary disk into size sufficient for operating
    > system and rest of the size, would my troubles reduce?
    >
    > Almost exclusibely my troubles are with win2k.
    >
    > When disk has free space there is always temtation to put other things
    > on it. Thought by having nothing but OS on C: partition I may get out
    > of booting trouble to some extent.

    No.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater, Mar 13, 2007

  3. Guest

    On 13 Mar, 15:28, Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater <>
    wrote:

    > No.
    >
    > COOSN-266-06-25794

    Recently bought a PC which came with Disk divided into 2 equal
    partition. Thought that could be a way to solve my troubles to an
    extent.

    , Mar 13, 2007
  4. Bob I Guest

    No, only identifying and resolving the cause of the problem, will stop
    the booting trouble.

    Bob I, Mar 13, 2007
  5. Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:13:55 -0700, joshidm wrote:

    > On 13 Mar, 15:28, Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> No.
    >> --
    >> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
    >>
    >> COOSN-266-06-25794

    > Recently bought a PC which came with Disk divided into 2 equal
    > partition. Thought that could be a way to solve my troubles to an
    > extent.

    Need to figure out the source you your system stops. How about posting the
    Stop Error(s) listed on the blue screen?

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Mar 13, 2007
  6. Guest

    > > On 13 Mar, 15:28, Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> No.
    > >> --
    > >> Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

    > >> COOSN-266-06-25794

    > > On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:13:55 -0700, joshidm wrote:
    > > Recently bought a PC which came with Disk divided into 2 equal
    > > partition. Thought that could be a way to solve my troubles to an
    > > extent.

    > On 13 Mar, 16:55, Meat Plow <> wrote:
    > Need to figure out the source you your system stops. How about posting the
    > Stop Error(s) listed on the blue screen?

    I am a kind of low level worjer in the game. I read out the error on
    phone and get told to remove the disk which eventually gets formated
    and freshly set up with OS.

    I should have taken down the the long number of the error and 5/6
    lines that appear below it.

    Two things I remember, one is possibility of virus and another is look
    into manual.

    I am certainly going to copy the whole thing next time it appears on
    next machine ( though how I wish it will never appear).

    Regards,
    DMJoshi

    , Mar 13, 2007
  7. wrote:

    > Recently bought a PC which came with Disk divided into 2 equal
    > partition. Thought that could be a way to solve my troubles to an
    > extent.

    If you right-click your "documents and settings" folder and transfer/move it
    to the 2nd partition, together with mail storage folder and other important
    things, it may make a reinstall less painful.
    However, it will not solve that problem you didn't tell us about.
    What does your event viewer tell, and have you disabled automatic reboot on
    error to be able to get a clue out of the bluescreen?

    Walter Mautner, Mar 13, 2007
  8. Guest

    On 13 Mar, 22:06, Walter Mautner <nodeleaf.
    > wrote:
    > If you right-click your "documents and settings" folder and transfer/move it
    > to the 2nd partition, together with mail storage folder and other important
    > things, it may make a reinstall less painful.

    Reinstall is always by formating the whole disk. So far on the primary
    disks are without partition. It is planned that these disks as they go
    in error will be resettup with partition, but if error appears, they
    will get formated before resetup. Partitioning is looked at as an
    option whereby error takes longer to reappear.

    > However, it will not solve that problem you didn't tell us about.
    > What does your event viewer tell, and have you disabled automatic reboot on
    > error to be able to get a clue out of the bluescreen?

    There is never automatic reboot. Error appears only when machine is
    restarted or repowered.

    > --
    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
    > on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    > incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    , Mar 14, 2007
  9. WhzzKdd Guest

    "Geoff Fitton" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Reinstall is always by formating the whole disk.

    > Where did you get that idea ?

    I believe you misunderstood. The poor guy is seriously lacking in basic
    grammer skills. I think he meant to say "When I have reinstalled in the
    past, I have always reformatted the whole disk." So he's asking if he should
    partition the disk, so next time he only has to format the boot partition,
    leaving the data partition intact.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 14, 2007
  10. wrote:

    > On 13 Mar, 22:06, Walter Mautner <nodeleaf.
    > > wrote:
    >> If you right-click your "documents and settings" folder and transfer/move
    >> it to the 2nd partition, together with mail storage folder and other
    >> important things, it may make a reinstall less painful.

    > Reinstall is always by formating the whole disk. So far on the primary

    Is it a policy you are talking about?

    > disks are without partition. It is planned that these disks as they go

    Uhm. No, there has to be at least one partition.

    > in error will be resettup with partition, but if error appears, they
    > will get formated before resetup. Partitioning is looked at as an
    > option whereby error takes longer to reappear.

    I lost you now. You don't mean partitioning helps to get worn-out disks
    working a bit longer, don't you? *banging my forehead against ... let it be
    a pillow*

    >> However, it will not solve that problem you didn't tell us about.
    >> What does your event viewer tell, and have you disabled automatic reboot
    >> on error to be able to get a clue out of the bluescreen?

    > There is never automatic reboot. Error appears only when machine is
    > restarted or repowered.

    You mean, the machine has the bluescreen at startup and that one stays long
    enough you can write it down? Usually that happens with the
    dreaded "unmountable_boot_device" and similar fatal errors only.
    So why not do write it down to keep our crystal balls clear?

    Walter Mautner, Mar 14, 2007
  11. "Walter Mautner" <>

    .... the stupid troll that sets a follow-up to himself ...

    > wrote in message news:
    > wrote:
    > > On 13 Mar, 22:06, Walter Mautner <> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > If you right-click your "documents and settings" folder and transfer/move
    > > > it to the 2nd partition, together with mail storage folder and other
    > > > important things, it may make a reinstall less painful.

    > > Reinstall is always by formating the whole disk. So far on the primary

    > Is it a policy you are talking about?
    >
    > > disks are without partition. It is planned that these disks as they go

    > Uhm. No, there has to be at least one partition.

    Not really. Make the drive removable and you can format it without partitioning.

    [snip]

    Folkert Rienstra, Mar 15, 2007
  12. PeeCee Guest

    snip

    > The poor guy is seriously lacking in basic grammer skills.

    snip

    Maybe it's just me but I've seen similar 'grammer' appearing in other posts.
    Lots of tech speak but with rather flawed grammer, obfuscated logic & a
    fixation on one solution (see w_tom in the thread 'PC won't power on')

    Makes me wonder if Kman hasn't transmorgified into another (subtler) form of
    bot.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 16, 2007
  13. Mark Dykstra Guest

    All the furry creatures in 24hoursupport.helpdesk gathered 'round and
    watched as PeeCee said:

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    > >

    > snip
    >
    > > The poor guy is seriously lacking in basic grammer skills.

    > snip
    >

    > Maybe it's just me but I've seen similar 'grammer' appearing in other posts.
    > Lots of tech speak but with rather flawed grammer, obfuscated logic & a
    > fixation on one solution (see w_tom in the thread 'PC won't power on')
    >
    > Makes me wonder if Kman hasn't transmorgified into another (subtler) form of
    > bot.
    >
    > Paul.

    And it's "grammar" not "grammer"

    just my two cents.
    mark

    Mark Dykstra, Mar 16, 2007
  14. WhzzKdd Guest

    "Mark Dykstra" <> wrote in message
    > All the furry creatures in 24hoursupport.helpdesk gathered 'round and
    > watched as PeeCee said:
    >>
    >> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> snip
    >>
    >> > The poor guy is seriously lacking in basic grammer skills.

    >> snip
    >>

    >> Maybe it's just me but I've seen similar 'grammer' appearing in other
    >> posts.
    >> Lots of tech speak but with rather flawed grammer, obfuscated logic & a
    >> fixation on one solution (see w_tom in the thread 'PC won't power on')
    >>
    >> Makes me wonder if Kman hasn't transmorgified into another (subtler) form
    >> of
    >> bot.
    >>
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > And it's "grammar" not "grammer"
    >
    > just my two cents.
    > mark

    Heh - quite correct. I stand spell-checked (or spell-chequed?)

    My old Grammers had much better grammar then I do anyway <g>!

    WhzzKdd, Mar 16, 2007
  15. Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:09:45 +0000, Mark Dykstra wrote:

    > And it's "grammar" not "grammer"
    >
    > just my two cents.
    > mark

    Unless you mean Kelsey Grammer :)

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

    Aardvark, Mar 18, 2007
  16. Guest

    On 14 Mar, 22:34, Walter Mautner <nodeleaf.
    > wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On 13 Mar, 22:06, Walter Mautner <nodeleaf.
    > > > wrote:
    > >> If you right-click your "documents and settings" folder and transfer/move
    > >> it to the 2nd partition, together with mail storage folder and other
    > >> important things, it may make a reinstall less painful.

    > > Reinstall is always by formating the whole disk. So far on the primary

    > Is it a policy you are talking about?
    >
    > > disks are without partition. It is planned that these disks as they go

    > Uhm. No, there has to be at least one partition.
    >
    > > inerrorwill be resettup with partition, but iferrorappears, they
    > > will get formated before resetup. Partitioning is looked at as an
    > > option wherebyerrortakes longer to reappear.

    > I lost you now. You don't mean partitioning helps to get worn-out disks
    > working a bit longer, don't you? *banging my forehead against ... let it be
    > a pillow*
    >

    > >> However, it will not solve that problem you didn't tell us about.
    > >> What does your event viewer tell, and have you disabled automatic reboot
    > >> onerrorto be able to get a clue out of the bluescreen?

    > > There is never automatic reboot.Errorappears only when machine is
    > > restarted or repowered.

    > You mean, the machine has the bluescreen at startup and that one stays long
    > enough you can write it down? Usually that happens with the
    > dreaded "unmountable_boot_device" and similar fatal errors only.
    > So why not do write it down to keep our crystal balls clear?

    Sorry, I could not respond earlier.

    I do plan to write down error next time and I am sure there will be
    next time in six months at least on one of many machines.

    Right now on 2 machines fresh disk are put with partition.

    Both disks after bluescreen error when connected via USB could be
    accessed.

    One of 2 faulty disks put in as secondary disk went into chkds on
    restart. After about 16 hours the disk is accessible in the machine
    from where it was taken out and where it was primary disk.

    On http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Marc Liron of
    Microsoft writes

    "In Windows XP you can perform error checking on hard drives by using
    the chkdsk.exe command line utility.

    Chkdsk will verify and repair (optional) the integrity of the file
    system on any chosen volume.

    I encourage ALL users to run this utility on a regular basis (at least
    once a month.)"

    Could the same be done on win2kpro? Perhaps that would have prevented
    the bluescreen error. So far I have encountered only chkdsk initiated
    by OS itself on restart.

    , Mar 19, 2007
  17. Guest

    On 16 Mar, 06:31, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message

    > snip
    >
    > > The poor guy is seriously lacking in basic grammer skills.

    > snip
    >
    > Maybe it's just me but I've seen similar 'grammer' appearing in other posts.
    > Lots of tech speak but with rather flawed grammer,

    I am not any tech, though with reasonably good lawnmoving and tree
    sprunning skills.

    > obfuscated logic & a
    > fixation on one solution (see w_tom in the thread 'PC won't power on')
    >
    > Makes me wonder if Kman hasn't transmorgified into another (subtler) form of
    > bot.
    >
    > Paul.

    , Mar 19, 2007
  18. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > On http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Marc Liron of
    > Microsoft writes
    >
    > "In Windows XP you can perform error checking on hard drives by using
    > the chkdsk.exe command line utility.
    >
    > Chkdsk will verify and repair (optional) the integrity of the file
    > system on any chosen volume.
    >
    > I encourage ALL users to run this utility on a regular basis (at least
    > once a month.)"
    >
    > Could the same be done on win2kpro? Perhaps that would have prevented
    > the bluescreen error. So far I have encountered only chkdsk initiated
    > by OS itself on restart.

    Couldn't hurt. For many years it was prudent to run utilities and
    diagnostics on a scheduled basis, but the quality of hardware has (in my
    opinion) become much better so I'm not doing this as often. Although, a good
    defrag now and then is helpful in keeping a system running quickly.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 19, 2007
  19. <> wrote in message news:
    > On 16 Mar, 06:31, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    > > "WhzzKdd" frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message news:b_SJh.647$...
    > >
    > > snip
    > >
    > > > The poor guy is seriously lacking in basic grammer skills.

    > > snip
    > >
    > > Maybe it's just me but I've seen similar 'grammer' appearing in other posts.
    > > Lots of tech speak but with rather flawed grammer,

    > I am not any tech, though with reasonably good lawnmoving and tree
    > sprunning skills.

    Any good recommendations for lawnmovers?

    Folkert Rienstra, Mar 19, 2007
  20. On 2007-03-19, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Folkert Rienstra waxed eloquently:
    ><> wrote in message news:
    >> On 16 Mar, 06:31, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >> > "WhzzKdd" frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message news:b_SJh.647$...
    >> >
    >> > snip

    >> > snip
    >> >
    >> > Maybe it's just me but I've seen similar 'grammer' appearing in other posts.
    >> > Lots of tech speak but with rather flawed grammer,

    >> I am not any tech, though with reasonably good lawnmoving and tree
    >> sprunning skills.

    > Any good recommendations for lawnmovers?

    snip

    I'd like to have my neighbor's lawn moved to my yard.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Eat as much as you like -- just don't swallow it.

    The Old Sourdough, Mar 19, 2007