    Thunderbird.

    Can anyone point me to a URL, by any chance?

    Thanks.

    Galaxy, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Galaxy

    Bev Guest

    "Galaxy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've googled and have found all sorts of things related to the address
    > book but nothing regarding how to import the address book into
    > Thunderbird.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a URL, by any chance?

    I got mine to import but not directly as "import from Outlook". Wouldn't
    work that way. I don't remember exactly how I worked around it but I think
    I did one of the following.

    Import your Outlook contacts into Outlook express and them import those from
    Thunderbird.

    Export your Outlook addresses as a text file, comma separated values and
    save that file. Then import that file into Thunderbird.

    Good luck!

    Bev

    Bev, Jul 14, 2004

  3. Galaxy

    Bev Guest

    Bev, Jul 14, 2004
  4. From Bev on 14/07/2004 14:36:

    > "Galaxy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've googled and have found all sorts of things related to the address
    >>book but nothing regarding how to import the address book into
    >>Thunderbird.
    >>
    >>Can anyone point me to a URL, by any chance?
    >>

    > I got mine to import but not directly as "import from Outlook". Wouldn't
    > work that way. I don't remember exactly how I worked around it but I think
    > I did one of the following.
    >
    > Import your Outlook contacts into Outlook express and them import those from
    > Thunderbird.
    >
    > Export your Outlook addresses as a text file, comma separated values and
    > save that file. Then import that file into Thunderbird.

    Not so!! I imported them directly and it worked a treat finding several address
    books in several PST files, imported all of them into their own folders in TB
    and didn't overwrite my existing entries!

    --
    Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
    Sheffield, United Kingdom

    Julian Knight, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Julian Knight wrote:
    > From Bev on 14/07/2004 14:36:
    >
    >> "Galaxy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I've googled and have found all sorts of things related to the address
    >>> book but nothing regarding how to import the address book into
    >>> Thunderbird.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone point me to a URL, by any chance?
    >>>

    >> I got mine to import but not directly as "import from Outlook". Wouldn't
    >> work that way. I don't remember exactly how I worked around it but I
    >> think
    >> I did one of the following.
    >>
    >> Import your Outlook contacts into Outlook express and them import
    >> those from
    >> Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> Export your Outlook addresses as a text file, comma separated values and
    >> save that file. Then import that file into Thunderbird.
    >>

    > Not so!! I imported them directly and it worked a treat finding several
    > address books in several PST files, imported all of them into their own
    > folders in TB and didn't overwrite my existing entries!

    I was successful at importing everything (Contacts, Favorites, Mail
    files) from Outlook 2000 on Win2000. But failed on Outlook97 on Win98ME.

    William W. Plummer, Jul 14, 2004
  6. From William W. Plummer on 14/Jul/2004 17:51:
    > Julian Knight wrote:
    >
    >> From Bev on 14/07/2004 14:36:
    >>
    >>> "Galaxy" <> wrote in message

    >>> I got mine to import but not directly as "import from Outlook". Wouldn't
    >>> work that way. I don't remember exactly how I worked around it but I
    >>> think
    >>> I did one of the following.
    >>>
    >>> Import your Outlook contacts into Outlook express and them import
    >>> those from
    >>> Thunderbird.
    >>>
    >>> Export your Outlook addresses as a text file, comma separated values and
    >>> save that file. Then import that file into Thunderbird.
    >>>

    >> Not so!! I imported them directly and it worked a treat finding
    >> several address books in several PST files, imported all of them into
    >> their own folders in TB and didn't overwrite my existing entries!
    >>

    > I was successful at importing everything (Contacts, Favorites, Mail
    > files) from Outlook 2000 on Win2000. But failed on Outlook97 on Win98ME.

    Ahh, I am using 2003 on XP - sorry.

    Julian Knight, Jul 16, 2004
  7. Direct Quote from:- http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#q2.10

    "Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format,
    which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail
    programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the
    "mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly."

    Hope this helps!

    Steven

    Steven Henson, Jul 20, 2004
  8. Galaxy

    Galaxy Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:41:42 +0100, Steven Henson
    <> wrote:

    >Direct Quote from:- http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#q2.10
    >
    >"Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format,
    >which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail
    >programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the
    >"mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly."
    >

    >Hope this helps!

    Thanks, Steve. I realized with your answer that I don't think I
    reported back.

    I use Outlook 2000 in corporate mode so that I can use the PAB format
    for address books. It's frowned upon, a bit, though I don't know why
    but it makes for excellent portability. But having this type of
    external address book is what was putting a monkey wrench into things.

    But easy to fix.

    I "imported" the PAB address book file into the empty contacts folder
    in Outlook. Once that was done, _then_ Thunderbird imported perfectly
    easily. It was because it wasn't internally available, as it were, in
    Outlook which is why Thunderbird couldn't detect it.

    However, I've gone back to using Outlook 2000. Though Firefox is an
    excellent substitute for IE, TB is too lightweight an email client and
    I couldn't even begin to replace half of Outlooks functions with it.

    I use it for my ISP mail, though. I split the functions between it
    and O2K and O2K is now what handles my yahoo groups mail (which is
    about 5 to 10 megs of mail a day so I needed a robust email client to
    still handle this).

    Thanks.

    Galaxy, Jul 20, 2004
  9. Galaxy wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:41:42 +0100, Steven Henson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Direct Quote from:- http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#q2.10
    >>
    >>"Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format,
    >>which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail
    >>programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the
    >>"mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly."
    >>

    >>Hope this helps!

    > Thanks, Steve. I realized with your answer that I don't think I
    > reported back.
    >
    > I use Outlook 2000 in corporate mode so that I can use the PAB format
    > for address books. It's frowned upon, a bit, though I don't know why
    > but it makes for excellent portability. But having this type of
    > external address book is what was putting a monkey wrench into things.
    >
    > But easy to fix.
    >
    > I "imported" the PAB address book file into the empty contacts folder
    > in Outlook. Once that was done, _then_ Thunderbird imported perfectly
    > easily. It was because it wasn't internally available, as it were, in
    > Outlook which is why Thunderbird couldn't detect it.
    >
    > However, I've gone back to using Outlook 2000. Though Firefox is an
    > excellent substitute for IE, TB is too lightweight an email client and
    > I couldn't even begin to replace half of Outlooks functions with it.
    >
    > I use it for my ISP mail, though. I split the functions between it
    > and O2K and O2K is now what handles my yahoo groups mail (which is
    > about 5 to 10 megs of mail a day so I needed a robust email client to
    > still handle this).
    >
    > Thanks.

    Thanks Galaxy for your report.

    No mail client working with MS Exchange is going to be able to
    incorporate the features of Outlook in Corporate mode. In fact I am not
    aware of any other mail client that will run with Exchange in Corporate
    mode. Microsoft knew what they were doing when they created Outlook as
    their Exchange Server client.

    However TB will work in POP / IMAP mode with Exchange.

    What I don't like about Outlook in POP mode is the over reliance of pst
    files - which can and do corrupt from time - whereas it appears to be
    quite straightforward to backup TB mails and restore then. I prefer the
    simplicity of this process as opposed to the reliance on a single pst file.

    That said I often work off-line with my Outlook using ost files and that
    works a treat.

    I do like junk mail handing in TB and the fact that executable
    attachments cannot run without user intervention. Makes me feel safer
    about handling the tons on mails I get each day.

    Its horses for courses I guess...but overall I prefer the open approach
    that Mozilla taking and it makes me sleep better at night knowing that I
    can get support for the entire Mozilla community if I get things work.

    Steven

    Steven Henson, Jul 21, 2004