    internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
    identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found nothing.
    What am I missing!?!?!?!

    =?Utf-8?B?Ui1EdWI=?=, Dec 28, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Ui1EdWI=?=

    Malke Guest

    R-Dub wrote:

    > Ok....
    > After two days I'm still stuck!
    > One Dell notebook (wireless), one Dell desktop (wired), both running
    > XP Pro.
    > Linksys wireless G router. I can see the notebook from the desktop,
    > but
    > cannot see the desktop from the notebook. No problems getting on the
    > internet. I can ping both ways. TCP/IP setting on both machines are
    > identical. I also did a stare/compare on other settings and found
    > nothing. What am I missing!?!?!?!

    The first thing to check is whether you've allowed the lan connection in
    a firewall. If you have SP2 and a third-party firewall, disable the
    Windows Firewall. Put your lan IP range in the third-party firewall's
    exceptions as allowed. Exact configuration will differ depending on the
    firewall. If you do not have a third-party firewall and are using the
    Windows Firewall, make sure that File & Printer Sharing is enabled in
    the Firewall's Exceptions.

    Aside from that, go through MVP Hans-Georg Michna's network
    troubleshooter here:

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Norton Firewall is installed on both machines. The LAN address is allowed on
    both. The XP firewall is disabled.

    =?Utf-8?B?Ui1EdWI=?=, Dec 28, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Ui1EdWI=?=

    Malke Guest

    R-Dub wrote:

    > Norton Firewall is installed on both machines. The LAN address is
    > allowed on
    > both. The XP firewall is disabled.

    Fine. Go through Hans-Georg's troubleshooter. Post the results here if
    you still need help afterwards.

    Malke

    Malke, Dec 28, 2004
  5. www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Carey,
    I went through your procedure for the third time and finally found the piece
    I was overlooking. Somehow I kept missing the "Binding for LAN connections".
    TCP/IP was not checked on the desktop machine. Everything is working fine
    now! Thanks for your help!

    =?Utf-8?B?Ui1EdWI=?=, Dec 29, 2004
  7. You're very welcome. Please sign my guestbook at www.careyholzman.com (the
    link is in the lower-left corner)