can one take infrared photos with a digital camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by River Horse, May 19, 2005.

  1. River Horse

    River Horse Guest

    The description of a infrared filter at an on-line store said that CCD's
    were sensitive to infrared, but some manufacturers put filters that stop
    infrared in the camera.

    So I asked Canon support if the A95 could be used with an infrared
    filter to take infrared pics.
    they replied:

    Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon
    customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

    Since the PowerShot A95 is not supported being used with an infrared
    filter, we cannot guarantee or confirm how it will work. You'll need to
    try it and see how it turns out.

    Thank you for choosing Canon.

    Sincerely,

    Angela
    Technical Support Representative

    --gee thanks for helping!-- i still don't know the answer...
    anyone in this group know if the A95 is sensitive to infrared?
    any knowledge as to any specific digital camera that is, or is not,
    sensitive to infrared?
    anyone have an infrared filter and can give it a try with their digital
    camera?

    Thanks in advance,
    ~steve

    River Horse, May 19, 2005

  2. River Horse

    Mr. Mark Guest

    > The description of a infrared filter at an on-line store said that CCD's
    > were sensitive to infrared, but some manufacturers put filters that stop
    > infrared in the camera.

    Maybe. Depends on the camera. My friend wrote an article about this.
    Here's a link. You can test if the camera supports IR by taking a photo of
    an IR remote control when the IR light is activated (pushing channels
    button?).

    http://www.photozo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6955&highlight=infrared

    --
    Mark

    Photos, Ideas & Opinions
    http://www.marklauter.com

    Mr. Mark, May 19, 2005

  3. River Horse

    Owamanga Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:10:40 -0400, River Horse
    <> wrote:

    >The description of a infrared filter at an on-line store said that CCD's
    >were sensitive to infrared, but some manufacturers put filters that stop
    >infrared in the camera.

    You'll need an adapter to let you put any filter on it, and you'll
    need an IR filter, but the answer is yes.

    To save money, you might want to try a test - make your own IR filter
    by taping a piece of completely dark, exposed, processed negative
    across the lens. It'll be nasty, but will show you what it can see.

    Another test: do a long exposure in a dark room and fire your remote
    control towards the camera, so it can be seen in the photo. If
    anything shows up, you've got some IR sensitivity.

    If pbase.com was worth a shit you'd be able to search for a keyword +
    specify the camera model at the same time - to see if you can see any
    example shots, but it's not, so sadly you can't.

    Okay, I've bunged all of that into the search box and 20 minutes later
    it came back with this guy's samples: A95 with a Hoya R72 filter

    http://www.pbase.com/eddyb/ir

    Have fun, show us what you end up with.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga, May 19, 2005
  4. River Horse

    River Horse Guest

    thanks to all who responded! and thanks Owamanga for the time searching!
    as usual, newsgroups are better than the manufacturers for unusual
    questions!

    gotta get me a R72
    Cheers!
    ~steve

    River Horse, May 19, 2005
  5. River Horse

    Paul Rubin Guest

    These days cameras have more aggressive IR cut filters than before.

    If you want infrared pics, try a DSLR (Canon 300D, Nikon D70, etc.)
    with the IR filter removed. See the links at the end of:

    http://www.astrosurf.org/buil/d70v10d/eval.htm

    for how to remove the IR filter.

    Paul Rubin, May 20, 2005
  6. River Horse

    Guest

    River Horse <> wrote:

    >The description of a infrared filter at an on-line store said that CCD's
    >were sensitive to infrared, but some manufacturers put filters that stop
    >infrared in the camera.

    A sony V3 has an infrared mode along with night shot (ir iluminator)

    Wes

    --
    Reply to:
    Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie

    , May 20, 2005