    cards.

    Could I have done anything to cause this? Could the camera and card be
    incompatible? ...or did I buy a duff card?

    Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:00:42 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Keith Hobbs via
    PhotoKB.com" <> wrote:

    >I recently bought a 256MB CF card for my Nikon Coolpix4300. The first time
    >I used it the camera stopped storing pictures after taking about 40 high
    >res pics. I could not download the photos and I eventually gave up and re-
    >formated the card. Now I get a message saying "cannot save this picture"
    >when I take the first picture. The camera still works fine with other
    >cards.
    >
    >Could I have done anything to cause this? Could the camera and card be
    >incompatible? ...or did I buy a duff card?

    How did you format the card? Reformat in the camera.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf, Feb 26, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    "Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote:

    > I recently bought a 256MB CF card for my Nikon Coolpix4300. The first time
    > I used it the camera stopped storing pictures after taking about 40 high
    > res pics. I could not download the photos and I eventually gave up and re-
    > formated the card. Now I get a message saying "cannot save this picture"
    > when I take the first picture. The camera still works fine with other
    > cards.
    >
    > Could I have done anything to cause this? Could the camera and card be
    > incompatible? ...or did I buy a duff card?

    It's probably a bad card. The power switch on cameras is a software
    control, not a real power switch. The camera will remain on until the
    memory card is in a safe state.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Feb 26, 2005
  4. On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:38:55 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > "Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I recently bought a 256MB CF card for my Nikon Coolpix4300. The first time
    >> I used it the camera stopped storing pictures after taking about 40 high
    >> res pics. I could not download the photos and I eventually gave up and re-
    >> formated the card. Now I get a message saying "cannot save this picture"
    >> when I take the first picture. The camera still works fine with other
    >> cards.
    >>
    >> Could I have done anything to cause this? Could the camera and card be
    >> incompatible? ...or did I buy a duff card?

    >It's probably a bad card. The power switch on cameras is a software
    >control, not a real power switch. The camera will remain on until the
    >memory card is in a safe state.

    It would be possible to corrupt the card by removing it or the battery
    while the card was being written to. But it should still be possible to
    reformat the card and start again. If you can't do that, it does sound
    like a bad card. The most likely time for a card to fail is the first
    few hours of use (that is true for most electronic and mechanical
    apparatus).

    --
    Stephen Poley
    Stephen Poley, Feb 26, 2005
  5. Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > I recently bought a 256MB CF card for my Nikon Coolpix4300. The first time
    > I used it the camera stopped storing pictures after taking about 40 high
    > res pics. I could not download the photos and I eventually gave up and re-
    > formated the card. Now I get a message saying "cannot save this picture"
    > when I take the first picture. The camera still works fine with other
    > cards.
    >
    > Could I have done anything to cause this? Could the camera and card be
    > incompatible? ...or did I buy a duff card?

    The answer to the the subject is a definite yes.
    Make sure that you format the card IN THE CAMERA, and not on a card
    reader attached to a computer. If it still doesn't work in your camera,
    then it may well be defective. Check with the manufacturer about a
    replacement.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Feb 26, 2005
  6. Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I recently bought a 256MB CF card for my Nikon Coolpix4300. The first time
    >>I used it the camera stopped storing pictures after taking about 40 high
    >>res pics. I could not download the photos and I eventually gave up and re-
    >>formated the card. Now I get a message saying "cannot save this picture"
    >>when I take the first picture. The camera still works fine with other
    >>cards.
    >>
    >>Could I have done anything to cause this? Could the camera and card be
    >>incompatible? ...or did I buy a duff card?

    > It's probably a bad card. The power switch on cameras is a software
    > control, not a real power switch. The camera will remain on until the
    > memory card is in a safe state.

    Not all of them, unfortunately, and then there are those people who
    remove the card while it is being written to.... BAD KARMA

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Feb 26, 2005
  7. Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com

    mort Guest

    Hi,
    1) You must format the CF card in the camera, before you use it the frst time.

    2) Never touch any of the camera controls while it is writing to the card.

    Good luck.

    Morton

    mort, Feb 27, 2005
  8. Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com

    Bill Guest

    mort wrote:

    >Hi,
    >1) You must format the CF card in the camera, before you use it the frst time.

    While a good idea, it is by no means required. Most cards are
    pre-formatted and you can usually just drop them in and start shooting.

    Having said that, it is possible certain cameras use a slightly
    different file system and needs to format the card itself.

    >2) Never touch any of the camera controls while it is writing to the card.

    How does one get a burst of several shots if the camera is writing the
    first shot to the card?

    The on-board controller for the flash card will process tasks as needed.
    There is no reason to worry about any functions related to the card
    reading or writing data. The only caution is to not physically remove
    the card or remove the batteries during a write operation.

    >> Could I have done anything to cause this? Could the camera and card be
    >> incompatible? ...or did I buy a duff card?

    It's likely just a defective card. Like most electronic devices, the
    first 24-48 hours of actual use is the most common period where a device
    that is going to fail, will do so.

    Return the card and get it replaced.
    Bill, Feb 27, 2005
  9. Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com

    Drifter Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:00:42 GMT, "Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com"
    <> wrote:

    >I recently bought a 256MB CF card for my Nikon Coolpix4300. The first time
    >I used it the camera stopped storing pictures after taking about 40 high
    >res pics. I could not download the photos and I eventually gave up and re-
    >formated the card. Now I get a message saying "cannot save this picture"
    >when I take the first picture. The camera still works fine with other
    >cards.
    >
    >Could I have done anything to cause this? Could the camera and card be
    >incompatible? ...or did I buy a duff card?

    It is certainly possible (though unlikely) to corrupt the card that
    way. I think it is much more likely that you have a bad-off-the-shelf
    card. I had a 256mb SD card that did exactly the same thing out of
    the package. The replacement card has been just fine.

    I would try re-formatting the card in the camera and if it won't
    re-format or if it still acts up then I would go get it swapped for
    another.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Feb 27, 2005
  10. Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > mort wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>1) You must format the CF card in the camera, before you use it the frst time.

    > While a good idea, it is by no means required. Most cards are
    > pre-formatted and you can usually just drop them in and start shooting.
    >
    > Having said that, it is possible certain cameras use a slightly
    > different file system and needs to format the card itself.
    >

    >>2) Never touch any of the camera controls while it is writing to the card.

    > How does one get a burst of several shots if the camera is writing the
    > first shot to the card?
    >
    > The on-board controller for the flash card will process tasks as needed.
    > There is no reason to worry about any functions related to the card
    > reading or writing data. The only caution is to not physically remove
    > the card or remove the batteries during a write operation.
    >

    >>>Could I have done anything to cause this? Could the camera and card be
    >>>incompatible? ...or did I buy a duff card?

    > It's likely just a defective card. Like most electronic devices, the
    > first 24-48 hours of actual use is the most common period where a device
    > that is going to fail, will do so.
    >
    > Return the card and get it replaced.

    Most cameras have a ram buffer that will hold a few pictures. The
    larger that buffer is, the more pictures you can take before you must
    wait for the pictures to be written to the card. The write speed does
    become a limiting factor when the buffer fills up as the camera will not
    take another picture until the buffer has emptied, at least one picture
    to the card. This is the case whether the camera is an inexpensive P&S
    or the most expensive DSLR you can buy.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Feb 27, 2005
  11. I tried to reformat the card in the camera so I assume it was a duff card.
    I have returned it to PQI for their comments but, as I bought it cheap on
    the internet, I only got a two week guarantee which expired before I took
    the 40th photo.
    Thank you for your help. It is the first time I have seen PhotoKB and am
    gobsmacked by the responses!

    Keith Hobbs via PhotoKB.com, Mar 2, 2005