    This is an expensive cam (1000$) and I would like to be comfortable before
    investing.

    Thanks for help.
    amer, Feb 1, 2004

  2. amer

    jda^fx Guest

    On 1 Feb 2004 00:12:35 -0800, (amer) wrote:

    >Hi all.
    >
    >The Sony digital camcorder I am planning to buy (DCR IP1) is NTSC USA
    >Model. My Sony VCR says it is multisystem (PAL/MESECAM/NTSC 3.58/4.43
    >and NTSC Playback on PAL TV).
    >
    >All TV's here are PAL/MESECAM only.
    >
    >I want to ask that can I view a normal picture from this camcorder on
    >my TV if I connect it thru my VCR?
    >
    >This is an expensive cam (1000$) and I would like to be comfortable before
    >investing.
    >
    >Thanks for help.

    So your VCR says it's multisystem, and therefore it will take the
    tapes. So fare so good. The big question is, will it give the same
    output as it get's input or can it convert the NTSC signal from the
    tape to PAL signal output. Try looking at the specs on Sonys website
    or ask in a store to make sure.

    But I see no reason to buy a NTSC camera if you need a PAL signal. You
    have to make a conversion from 29.97 to 25 frames per second and the
    framesize is not the same either. 720 by 480 for NTSC and 768 by 576
    for PAL wich means that some cropping has to be done. No matter what
    you will have a better result if you have the right format from the
    beginng.
    --
    and never X marks the spot
    jda^fx
    jda^fx, Feb 1, 2004

  3. On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:12:35 -0800, amer wrote:

    > Hi all.
    >
    > The Sony digital camcorder I am planning to buy (DCR IP1) is NTSC USA
    > Model. My Sony VCR says it is multisystem (PAL/MESECAM/NTSC 3.58/4.43
    > and NTSC Playback on PAL TV).

    But does it convert from one standard to another ? More than likely no.

    > All TV's here are PAL/MESECAM only.

    And it will fall over when it tries to play the NTSC signal from the
    camcorder.

    > I want to ask that can I view a normal picture from this camcorder on my
    > TV if I connect it thru my VCR?

    Nope.

    > This is an expensive cam (1000$) and I would like to be comfortable
    > before investing.

    Get the PAL version of the camcorder.

    --
    Michael Turner