Can not Write to External Networked Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Neil154ABCD@gmail.com remove ABCD, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. I have a desktop computer connected to a laptop computer thru a wireless
    network (both using XP Pro). The desktop has an external hard drive
    connected by USB. From the laptop I can see and change files on the desktop
    internal hard drive, but I have a problem with the external hard drive.
    Under the "My Network Places" I can see the external hard drive but when I
    click on the drive I get an error message "\\Desktop|external is not
    accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
    Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
    permissions. Not enough server storage is available to process this
    command."

    I have tried 2 different external hard drives and I have tried swapping and
    putting the external drives on the laptop but everything has resulted in the
    same problem. The strange part is that last week I was able to see and
    change the files on the external hard drive. I started to have the problem
    once I was running my backup program on my laptop and mistakenly rebooted my
    desktop machine. Once the desktop completed the reboot, I was then not able
    to see the files on the external hard drive.

    I would appreciate your help.

    --

    Neil

    remove ABCD, Aug 7, 2007

  2. This link may help,

    Not Enough ..."Not enough server storage is available to process this command." 1 "Not enough storage available to process this command" 2 "Not enough storage to Complete ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/notenough.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Aug 7, 2007

  3. Thanks for the response but I still have the problem.

    First of all I am not using any Norton products, my antivirus/firewall is ZoneAlarm on both machines and I have tried seeing the drive without ZA running on both machines. Also, I see/change the internal hard drives on both machines without any problem. Lastly, I was able to see/change the external hard drive before I did the accidental reboot of the desktop.

    I would appreciate any other suggestions as I am frustrated with myself.

    --

    Neil

    remove ABCD, Aug 8, 2007
  4. Hi
    Open WinExplorer check what letter the USB Drive is assigned too, and make
    sure that it is configured to allow sharing.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 8, 2007
  5. The drive is configured for sharing and I also checked the box to allow
    network users to change files.

    --

    Neil

    remove ABCD, Aug 8, 2007
  8. Try to take ownership over. This link may help,

    Can't editdate even administratorThe administrator may lost the ownership of the folder. To do take over the ownership, right click on the file or folder. ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/Security/ownership2.htm

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Aug 9, 2007
  9. I still have some problems. Here are the latest facts:

    When I log in on the desktop machine under safe mode with networking, I can not see any desktop drives from the laptop. I have "everyone" have full permission for everything. I even went in and added a user (normal account that I log into) and gave full permissions for everything. I then rebooted the desktop and tried seeing the drives on the laptop. I am able to see/change the internal drives (2) and can see/change the thumb drive, but the external drive I still get the same message drive not accessible and not enough server space.

    What else Is there I should be trying? Is there something I should check on my laptop?

    All help is appreciated

    remove ABCD, Aug 10, 2007
  10.  remove ABCD

    Pavel A. Guest

    Did this external drive came with some custom software like
    "one button backup" etc?

    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 12, 2007
  11. There was no software with it and I formatted it as NTFS prior to use.

    --

    Neil

    remove ABCD, Aug 12, 2007
  12. I would appreciate any suggestions on resolving my problem.

    --

    Neil

    remove ABCD, Aug 23, 2007
  13. Robert,

    I have the exact same problem and have tried all the things you've suggested
    to Neil. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks, Peter

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Oct 6, 2007