    Under windows 7 regardless of program (one being notepad) I can not save
    to an existing file (over-write) - I have to save the file as a new one
    then use explorer to copy/move it. Why is this.

    Jason, Nov 5, 2010

  2. Jason

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Try running notepad as administrator and see what happens.
    Does it happen with any file being saved in any folder or is this
    issue related o a specific file/location?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 5, 2010

  3. Jason

    Jason Guest

    How do i log in AS administrator Ctrl-Alt-Del Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work
    on windows 7. I can save to c:\users (my documents) but just about
    nothing else. i have administrator rights anyway.

    Jason, Nov 5, 2010
  4. Jason

    Carlos Guest

    Jason,
    I didn't mean that you had to log in as Administrator.
    Just right click on notepad.exe (file manager) and choose "Run as
    Administrator".

    Is this a fresh install?

    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 5, 2010
  5. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Word uses my documents anyway. Maybe program files was a bad example
    (that paticular file is a text configuration file). Other problems are
    using other folders and other drives. I'll try running as administrator
    to see what happens.

    Jason, Nov 6, 2010
  6. Jason

    Carlos Guest

    Jason,
    You might want to try taking ownership of those folders where you are
    not allowed to save your files.
    That's why I asked you before if this was a fresh install.
    A fresh install grants you enough rights, but after an upgrade some
    rights on other drives might still reside of "former" owners.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 6, 2010
  7. Jason

    Jason Guest

    It's a relatively new computer but files have been copied from another
    computer. Shall check ownership next time. Some have security for
    S-1-5-21... which occurs on my XP computer also where the files are
    created by the other installation of Windows but I've haven't had
    problems with the majority of those files.

    Jason, Nov 6, 2010