    It sounds like a workgroup name error, perhaps? Any ideas would be
    appreciated.

    -Bill

    =?Utf-8?B?V0pQQw==?=, Dec 25, 2004

  2. www.careyholzman.com/net1htm

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 25, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?V0pQQw==?=

    Chuck Guest

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:01:01 -0800, "WJPC" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all ... I am running Win XP SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 1150. I have had
    >nothing but trouble with my wireless network connection since using SP2. I
    >use a Wireless Lynksys Router configured with a certain SSID, WEP encryption,
    >etc. It is configured for DHCP. well, after I configured my laptop for a
    >certain workgroup and with all the same encryption junk, I can not see anyone
    >on the network. I can not ping others or myself. When I go to My Network
    >Places and then to view my workgroups... after a pause I get the following
    >error:
    >
    >"<workgroup name> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    >this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
    >if you have access permissions.
    >
    >The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
    >
    >On the other hand, I can access the Internet and I can see my Router over
    >the wireless laptop.
    >
    >It sounds like a workgroup name error, perhaps? Any ideas would be
    >appreciated.
    >
    >-Bill

    Bill,

    I'd start by looking for a browser problem (I'm not talking about Internet
    Explorer here).

    You need at least one browser running in each workgroup.

    Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third party)? If
    so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations are a
    very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.

    The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers (I'm not talking about
    Internet Explorer here) you have in your domain / workgroup, at any time.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305

    You can download Browstat from either:
    <http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/browstat.zip>
    <http://rescomp.stanford.edu/staff/manual/rcc/tools/browstat.zip>

    Browstat is very small (40K), and needs no install. Just unzip the downloaded
    file, copy browstat.exe to any folder in the Path, and run it from a command
    window, by "browstat status". Make sure all computers give the same result.

    For more information about the browser subsystem (very intricate), see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188001
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>

    The browser needs anonymous access to all computers (it has to work when nobody
    logged in). Look at registry key [HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa],
    value restrictanonymous.
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/46688.asp>
    <http://www.jsifaq.com/subf/tip2600/rh2625.htm>
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246261
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296403

    The above articles refer to Windows 2000. Remember WinXP is NT V5.1, and Win2K
    is NT V5.0.

    Have you used the Registry Editor before? If not, it's a scary tool, but it's
    pretty simple once you get used to it. Here are a couple articles that might
    help:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/tools_regeditors.asp>
    <http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry>

    Just remember to backup the key (create a registry patch) for
    [HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa] before making any changes, if
    appropriate.

    From the Annoyances article:
    You can create a Registry patch by opening the Registry Editor, selecting a
    branch, and choosing Export from the File menu. Then, specify a filename, and
    press OK. You can then view the Registry patch file by opening it in Notepad
    (right-click on it and select Edit). Again, just double-click on a Registry
    patch file (or use Import in the Registry Editor's File menu) to apply it to the
    registry.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Dec 25, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?V0pQQw==?=

    mikeFNB Guest

    see the help pages on here:

    http://www.ezlan.net/

    mike

    mikeFNB, Dec 25, 2004
  5. Thanks --- I uninstalled Norton Internet Security and wola --- there are all
    my network things I had been missing. Thank you!!! I am however gettin
    hammered with popups!!!!

    -Bill

    =?Utf-8?B?V0pQQw==?=, Dec 25, 2004
  6. You were always getting hammered with pop-ups, but you chose to blind
    yourself to them using pop-up blocker software.

    If you sweep dirt under a rug, you no longer see the dirt, but it's still
    there.

    The proper solution to PREVENT pop-ups (and not simply hide/block them) is
    to run anti-spyware software.

    Read all about it here:
    http://tinyurl.com/5so4d

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 25, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?V0pQQw==?=

    Chuck Guest

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 14:49:05 -0800, "WJPC" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks --- I uninstalled Norton Internet Security and wola --- there are all
    >my network things I had been missing. Thank you!!! I am however gettin
    >hammered with popups!!!!
    >
    >-Bill

    Bill,

    Un installing NIS (NPF) is good for a diagnostic procedure. But if you have a
    wireless LAN, leaving it that way will give you nothing but trouble. Please get
    your WLAN working with NPF enabled and properly configured.

    Here's a story about somebody's very stupid wireless neighbor. Don't expect all
    wireless neighbors to be this stupid.
    <http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/News/2003/11/22/264890.html>.

    The point is, you need to protect a wireless LAN with more precautions than just
    the NAT firewall.

    Change the router management password, and disable remote (WAN) management.

    Enable WEP / WPA. Use non-trivial (non-guessable) values for each. (No "My dog
    has fleas").

    Enable MAC filtering.

    Change the subnet of your LAN - don't use the default.

    Disable DHCP, and assign an address to each computer manually.

    Install a software firewall on every computer connected to a wireless LAN. Put
    manually assigned ip addresses in the Local (highly trusted) Zone. Open the
    firewall for file sharing, only in the Local Zone.

    Don't disable SSID broadcast - some configurations require the SSID broadcast.
    But change the SSID itself - to something that doesn't identify you, or the
    equipment.

    Enable the router activity log. Examine it regularly. Know what each
    connection listed represents - you? a neighbor?.

    Use non-trivial accounts and passwords on every computer connected to a wireless
    LAN. Disable or delete Guest userid, if possible (XP Home is a bad choice
    here). Rename Administrator, to a non-trivial value, and give it a non-trivial
    password. Never use the Administrator renamed account for day to day
    activities, only when intentionally doing administrative tasks.

    Stay educated - know what the threats are. Newsgroups alt.internet.wireless and
    microsoft.public.windows.networking,wireless are good places to start.

    The pop-ups are another story. AdAware and Spybot, as others will suggest, are
    good tools to diagnose and remove pop-ups. But they are not the only, nor the
    best tools. And both AA and SSD need to be properly configured, or they are
    useless.

    The best tool, overall, is HijackThis. But HJT requires expert advice for
    interpretation of its output.

    Start by downloading each of the following free tools:
    AdAware <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/>
    CWShredder <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html>
    HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>
    LSP-Fix <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>
    WinsockXPFix <http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html>
    Spybot S&D <http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download>
    Stinger <http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger>
    TrendMicro Engine <http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp>
    TrendMicro Signatures <http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp>
    TrendMicro Instructions <http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/tsc/readme.txt>

    Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the
    downloaded file there. Create a separate folder for the two TrendMicro files,
    such as C:\TrendMicro - copy the downloaded files there (unzipped if necessary).
    AdAware, CWShredder, and Spybot S&D have install routines - run them. The other
    downloaded programs can be copied into, and run from, any convenient folder.

    First, run Stinger. Have it remove any problems found.

    Next, close all Internet Explorer and Outlook windows, and run CWShredder. Have
    it fix all problems found.

    Next, disable System Restore.
    <http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm>
    Boot your computer into Safe Mode.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315222
    Run C:\TrendMicro\Sysclean.com. Delete any infectors found. Reboot your
    computer, and re enable System Restore.

    Next, run AdAware. First update it, configure for full scan
    (<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=11150>), then scan. When
    scanning finishes, remove all Critical Objects found.

    Next, run Spybot S&D. First update it, then run a scan. Trust Spybot, and
    delete everything ("Fix Problems") that is displayed in Red.

    Then, run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the
    HJT Log.
    <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>
    <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=11150>

    Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
    following security forums (and please post a link to your forum posts, here):
    Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
    Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
    Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
    Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
    Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>

    If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet (some
    spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your
    network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.

    Finally, improve your chances for the future.

    Harden your browser. There are various websites which will check for
    vulnerabilities, here are three which I use.
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
    http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
    https://testzone.secunia.com/browser_checker/

    Block Internet Explorer ActiveX scripting from hostile websites (Restricted
    Zone).
    <https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/main.htm> (IE-SpyAd)

    Block known dangerous scripts from installing.
    <http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html>

    Block known spyware from installing.
    <http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html>

    Make sure that the spyware detection / protection products that you use are
    reliable:

    Harden your operating system. Check at least monthly for security updates.
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. Three Hosts file sources I
    use:
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    (The third is included, and updated, with Spybot (see above)).

    Maintain your Hosts file (merge / eliminate duplicate entries) with:
    eDexter <http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html>
    Hostess <http://accs-net.com/hostess/>

    Secure your operating system, and applications. Don't use, or leave activated,
    any accounts with names or passwords with trivial (guessable) values. Don't use
    an account with administrative authority, except when you're intentionally doing
    administrative tasks.

    Use common sense. Yours. Don't install software based upon advice from unknown
    sources. Don't install free software, without researching it carefully. Don't
    open email unless you know who it's from, and how and why it was sent.

    Educate yourself. Know what the risks are. Stay informed. Read Usenet, and
    various web pages that discuss security problems. Check the logs from the
    security products that you use regularly, look for things that don't belong, and
    take action when necessary.

    How did I get infected in the first place?
    http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
    Essential tips for infection prevention
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=24339

    --