Can not open attachment in outlook express

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by themink, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. themink

    themink Guest

    double clicking on it usually does the trick...are you sure you want to ? if
    you aren't certain its genuine hit delete!

    themink, Jul 1, 2004

  2. themink

    Jerry G. Guest

    Go to Tools, Options, Security, and remove the checkmark that is making the
    restriction. Go out and back in to the Inbox, and now the attachments can be
    opened.

    Don't forget to put it back after you are finished. If not, it is possible
    that an undesirable email containing MIME code can open an attachment you
    would NOT want to have opened for you! This is why MS put that restriction
    in there.

    --

    Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Jul 1, 2004

  3. themink

    Thor Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > Go to Tools, Options, Security, and remove the checkmark that is making

    the
    > restriction. Go out and back in to the Inbox, and now the attachments can

    be
    > opened.
    >
    > Don't forget to put it back after you are finished. If not, it is possible
    > that an undesirable email containing MIME code can open an attachment you
    > would NOT want to have opened for you! This is why MS put that restriction
    > in there.

    That requires a a virus or worm to exploit a MIME vulnerability in OE.
    IE/OE6 doesn't have an incorrect MIME header vulnerability like IE/OE 5, and
    5.5 did. At least not one discovered as of yet to my knowledge. It makes
    more sense that MS put the restriction in there to keep click-happy users
    from arbitrarily opening attachments without at least thinking about the
    consequences, (since attachments that require voluntary user execution are
    still by far the most common email-borne viruses out there), rather than to
    plug a security hole that is not known to exist in that version of OE. In
    any case, I somewhat doubt that MS' attachment block feature would stop the
    auto-execution of a MIME-exploit worm/virus, if a vulnerability was present
    in OE6. The safest way to avoid that kind of thing IMHO would be to simply
    turn on the plain text only option, in OE6SP1 so any HTML code with buried
    activeX, or scripting in the message is not processed when the message is
    read, thereby preventing any MIME attachment auto-execution.

    http://securityresponse.symantec.co...tent/incorrect.mime.header.vulnerability.html

    Thor, Jul 1, 2004
  4. themink

    The Prophecy Guest

    --
    In Outlook Express go to Tools, Options, Security tab, Uncheck the box
    called "Do not allow attachments to be saved or....."

    The Prophecy, Jul 1, 2004
  5. themink

    Mary Lake Guest

    Mary Lake, Jul 1, 2004