Can not join a workgroup

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by jimt, May 7, 2009.

  1. jimt

    jimt Guest

    I apologize if this become the second post. I did a post about an hour ago
    and it is not showing up in the list.

    I have a Dell laptop and maintain the web pages a Access DB for our small
    town. In the past I was able to take my laptop to the town office Dell PC and
    x-fer files (in both directions) via network places in windows explorer. I
    had a hard disk failure and after installing a new drive and restoring as
    best I could I am not able to connect to the workgroup on the town PC.
    Additionally in my downtime the town renewed McAfee (don't know if this is
    related or not).

    In some of my efforts I have set my system to the same workgroup as the town
    PC. This did not work either. The town has an old linksys b-router and when I
    try to connect the light do acknowledge as well as the signal strength
    showing as excellent.
    When I try to open IE I get the default "can find" web page on my laptop.
    The town PC is also not shown nor the its shared folders.

    The window's firewall is on for both systems. I poked around McAfee on the
    town PC but did not find a setting that would allow selective connection
    acceptance.

    In the past I think the town workgroup came up automatically. Any
    suggestions what I can check on to see what will resolve the problem.

    Thanks
    Jim T.

    jimt, May 7, 2009

  2. 1. You can't join a workgroup. They aren't "join-able".

    2. The "workgroup" is just a setting in the Machine's identity properties.
    It probably went back to the name "HOME" or something similar when you
    reloaded it.

    3. It is irrelevant anyway. It is primarily to make the Browse List and the
    Master Browser work correctly so the machines show up in Network Places.
    But if you just type where you want to go on the Run line off the start menu
    it will go there (\\pcname\sharename) reguardless. You don't want to
    change the Workgroup Name everytime you hook up to some other network
    somewhere anyway.

    4. To avoid having a "credentials prompt" you need a user account on both
    machines that match in both the spelling and the password.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, May 7, 2009

  3. "renewed McAfee" could be the problem. These search results may help.
    Solved: Vista can't access XP
    5 posts - 2 authors - Last post: Dec 24, 2007
    McAfee, Norton, OneCare and Windows firewall are first thing we ...
    problem resolved. the whole problem was mcafee, it took me for ever to ...
    www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=283

    Can't browse in Network Places ...
    2 posts - 1 author - Last post: Dec 31, 2008
    I reconfigured McAfee firewall to trust LAN members and that fixed the
    .... Is McAfee a full suite; if it is, check that LAN or file sharing ...
    www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=1281

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net