    Ryan
    --
    Ryan

    =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=, Aug 25, 2006

  2. Ryan -
    MS KB article: 888575 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888575/en-us.
    Basically, MS made a decision for performance and other reasons that
    machines of >4gb didn't make sense to use hibernate. Yours is right at 4GB,
    but because of the memory space used by things like PCI BIOSes you are
    probably triggering the limit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 25, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

    Graham Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Ryan -
    > MS KB article: 888575 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888575/en-us.
    > Basically, MS made a decision for performance and other reasons that
    > machines of >4gb didn't make sense to use hibernate. Yours is right at 4GB,
    > but because of the memory space used by things like PCI BIOSes you are
    > probably triggering the limit.

    This sounds suspiciously more like an excuse for not wanting to support
    a hibernate file of 4GB to keep the hibernated system in than the real
    reason! Since hibernation (and restart) takes place without using the
    full operating system and its drivers, I'll bet it would have to be
    re-written to cope with a file bigger than 4GB (i.e. a size which won't
    fit in a 32-bit integer).

    Graham.

    Graham, Aug 26, 2006
  4. very possible. I don't have insider information on the rationale, but it's
    clearly a known issue and not going to change today. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 26, 2006
  5. Thanks guys! over the years I am beginning to dislike MS more and more!
    Does anyone have any good platforms to comvert office desktops into different
    platforms that are more stable and easier to maintain than MS?
    --
    Ryan

    =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=, Aug 26, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

    Sam Crawford Guest

    On 26-Aug-2006, =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?= <> wrote:

    > Thanks guys! over the years I am beginning to dislike MS more and more!
    > Does anyone have any good platforms to comvert office desktops into
    > different
    > platforms that are more stable and easier to maintain than MS?

    LOL. We don't need a flame war but you can try any of the linux distros.
    Personally I've played with a lot of different flavors of linux but never
    stick with them for a number of reasons. I just keep going back to Windows.
    Windows just works.

    OSX is nice for a desktop, stable and easy to use and maintain. You have to
    ask yourself if you are ready to make the financial commitment to new
    hardware and software.

    Sam Crawford, Aug 26, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Unlhbg==?=

    Graham Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > very possible. I don't have insider information on the rationale, but it's
    > clearly a known issue and not going to change today. :)

    I suspect that the only thing which will change it is when it is no
    longer necessary to save RAM to disk: clearly hibernating and restoring
    multiple gigabytes of memory will become slower than actually shutting
    down and rebooting as memory sizes grow.

    Anyone remember core storage? Power off, then power on and carry on
    where you left off.

    Graham.

    Graham, Aug 27, 2006
  8. Have you updated your drivers from the chipset manfacturer? Many times
    problems with power management, hibernation, device detection are the result
    of either a compatible device driver not being installed or the chipset
    driver not being compatible. There are a lot of IRQ routing issues that are
    corrected by having the chipset manufacturers drivers on the machine. I have
    seen sound devices not be detected even though the drivers we present but
    after the chipset drivers were updated they would suddenly appear.
    --
    Whenever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
    saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Aug 29, 2006