Can not download any files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, May 7, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "don" <> wrote in news:gtvmah$c64$:

    > SOmething happened to my friends computer thats preventing any downloads
    > of files in her browser..... over the phone I had her turn
    > the norton firewall off but she still gets a message that says "your
    > security settings have prevented this file from being downloaded"
    >
    > Internet Explorer also has no menu bar so can't even get to the Tools
    > menu to look at the security settings

    the version of IE might help if it can be determined from IE itself,
    otherwise it's the greater of whats listed in add/remove programs under
    Internet Explorer and Internext Tools X or 6.0.

    > I tried this link to get the IE menu bar back but I can't download the
    > file !! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962963

    I'm not impressed: they tell you to use regedit and don't tell you to save
    a backup of the registry first. Corupted registry as a cause and looks
    like the fix wouldn't do any harm if it wasn't the problem. The registry
    repairs itself to a certain extent - filling missing values and the like
    which is exactly what this prompts. Did you try restarting the computer
    right after you deleted the key in regedit?

    > Could this be a virus?

    You mean a trojan right? viri spread themselves from file to file, trojans
    spread themselves from computer to computer. If it was a virus *all*
    toolbars and menus would be gone. If it was a trojan that person's
    firewall would block it's activlty or at the very least show it in action.
    They *do* have a properly setup firewall program right?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    don, May 8, 2009

  3. chuckcar

    Lynn Guest

    "don" <> wrote in message

    > Could this be a virus?

    Why is it that when a computer doesn't work right the fagboi always assumes
    it's a virus? Why isn't it ever that the fagboi just doesn't know how to use
    it?
    Lynn, May 8, 2009
  4. chuckcar

    Curtis Brown Guest

    "Lynn" <> wrote in message news:gtvqne$v4c$...

    > "don" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> Could this be a virus?
    >>

    > Why is it that when a computer doesn't work right the fagboi always
    > assumes it's a virus? Why isn't it ever that the fagboi just doesn't know
    > how to use it?

    Go eat Stephany Alexander's shit you fucking bitch.
    Curtis Brown, May 8, 2009
  5. chuckcar

    catchme Guest

    Lynn wrote:
    > "don" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Could this be a virus?
    >>

    > Why is it that when a computer doesn't work right the fagboi always assumes
    > it's a virus? Why isn't it ever that the fagboi just doesn't know how to use
    > it?

    security alerts, media releases and a huge industry dedicated to
    computer security can account for mass end user phobia, afraid that
    their computer is always prone to attack but paranoid that they lack the
    skills to prevent it...
    come to think of it, perhaps it will ALWAYS be the 2600 "Neo's" v. the
    "agents", and the machines?
    catchme, May 8, 2009
  6. chuckcar

    Guest

    "don" <> wrote:

    >SOmething happened to my friends computer thats preventing any downloads of
    >files in her browser..... over the phone I had her turn
    >the norton firewall off but she still gets a message that says "your
    >security settings have prevented this file from being downloaded"
    >
    >Internet Explorer also has no menu bar so can't even get to the Tools menu
    >to look at the security settings
    >
    >I tried this link to get the IE menu bar back but I can't download the file
    >!! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962963
    >
    >Could this be a virus?

    "your security settings have prevented this file from being
    downloaded"

    I would at least take a look at them, changing browsers is a good
    step.
    --

    Dick Cheny's mom?
    www.flickr.com/photos/wackystuff/3091961171/sizes/o/in/set-72157610806238444/