    success.

    Appreciate any ideas.

    Thanks.
    Candace, Apr 10, 2005

  2. Candace

    °Mike° Guest

    Maybe the FTP site is experiencing problems? Do you need
    login permission? How about a link, to see if anybody else can
    connect to the same address?

    In <>,
    Candace took 14 lines to utter:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 10, 2005

  3. Candace wrote:

    > In attempting to download drivers for a new Dell computer, browser
    > accesses an FTP site for download, this is where it ends.

    Try using an FTP app. Google for freeware LeechFTP.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 10, 2005
  4. Candace

    Candace Guest

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:00:55 +0100, °Mike° <>
    wrote:

    I have attempted accessing several sites, including my own, all to no
    avail. Have allowed access to ports 20 & 21 in firewall. I believe
    this is one of those little things Windows likes to tease with in
    attempt to test our crazy quotient.

    Thanks!

    Candace, Apr 10, 2005
  5. Candace

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Candace took 32 lines to utter:

    >I have attempted accessing several sites, including my own, all to no
    >avail. Have allowed access to ports 20 & 21 in firewall. I believe
    >this is one of those little things Windows likes to tease with in
    >attempt to test our crazy quotient.

    Well your lack of detail is not going to get you very much help,
    is it?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 10, 2005
  6. Candace

    Sultan Guest

    Candace <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:00:55 +0100, °Mike° <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > I have attempted accessing several sites, including my own, all to

    no
    > avail. Have allowed access to ports 20 & 21 in firewall. I believe
    > this is one of those little things Windows likes to tease with in
    > attempt to test our crazy quotient.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    >>Maybe the FTP site is experiencing problems? Do you need
    >>login permission? How about a link, to see if anybody else can
    >>connect to the same address?
    >>
    >>In <>,
    >> Candace took 14 lines to utter:
    >>
    >>>Greetings,
    >>>
    >>>In attempting to download drivers for a new Dell computer, browser
    >>>accesses an FTP site for download, this is where it ends.
    >>>
    >>>Attempted accessing FTP sites via FTP program but am not allowed

    >>>connect.
    >>>
    >>>Have turned off firewall and anti-virus in different attempts with

    no
    >>>success.
    >>>
    >>>Appreciate any ideas.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.

    Candace - have you tried disabling the firewall and trying? This will
    at least absolve the firewall as being the culprit if it doesn't work
    - but as Mike says your lack of detail makes it hard to help you
    beyond this....

    Sultan

    Sultan, Apr 10, 2005
  7. Candace

    Keme Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Candace wrote:
    >

    >>In attempting to download drivers for a new Dell computer, browser
    >>accesses an FTP site for download, this is where it ends.

    > Try using an FTP app. [...]

    In the original post he says he did, doesn't he ... ? :)
    Keme, Apr 11, 2005
  8. Candace

    Keme Guest

    Candace wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > In attempting to download drivers for a new Dell computer, browser
    > accesses an FTP site for download, this is where it ends.
    >
    > Attempted accessing FTP sites via FTP program but am not allowed to
    > connect.
    >
    > Have turned off firewall and anti-virus in different attempts with no
    > success.
    >
    > Appreciate any ideas.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Are you on a corporate network? FTP ports may be closed on the LAN
    firewall. In that case opening ports on the workstation FW doesn't help
    much. See if there's a "http download" option, or talk to IT staff. If
    you don't mind the possibility of others observing your ftp activity,
    you could use a third party service: www.web2ftp.com, but that may
    violate company policy. Use at your own risk!

    Server problem is not unlikely. Try connecting to other FTP sites? If
    you can connect OK, either your server address is wrong, you need login
    information or the ftp server is down. (This may happen even if the web
    service is OK.)
    Keme, Apr 11, 2005
  9. Keme wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Candace wrote:

    >>>In attempting to download drivers for a new Dell computer, browser
    >>>accesses an FTP site for download, this is where it ends.

    >> Try using an FTP app. [...]

    > In the original post he says he did, doesn't he ... ? :)

    Only if you consider IE an FTP app. Ever use a *real* FTP app?

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 11, 2005
  10. Candace

    Keme Guest

    Keme, Apr 11, 2005
  11. Keme wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Keme wrote:

    >>>In the original post he says he did, doesn't he ... ? :)

    >> Only if you consider IE an FTP app. Ever use a *real* FTP app?

    > Candace wrote:

    > Greetings,

    > In attempting to download drivers for a new Dell computer, browser
    > accesses an FTP site for download, this is where it ends.

    Yes, I did read "browser accesses and FTP site", there. I assumed it to
    be IE, since nothing was specified and most casual Windows users don't
    know there are any that didn't come with their computer.

    > Attempted accessing FTP sites _via FTP program_ but am not allowed to
    > connect.

    Ah. I missed or didn't remember that. I guess when I saw her using a
    browser, I tuned out for a paragraph or so. :) But I'll bet she
    didn't include the underlining signifiers that I see there in your
    doctored quote that doesn't mention being doctored with a courtesy "my
    emphasis", or something of that nature.

    At any rate, yep -- looks like she did try a real FTP program.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 11, 2005
  12. Candace

    Keme Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    <snippety...>
    > ... But I'll bet she
    > didn't include the underlining signifiers that I see there in your
    > doctored quote that doesn't mention being doctored with a courtesy "my
    > emphasis", or something of that nature.

    <...snip>

    Oops... slipped there. Sorry Candace and Blinky
    Keme, Apr 11, 2005
  13. Candace

    Michael A Stellato

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Hi! I am having the same problem accessing FTP Port 21. I am refused a connection to anyone I try to access. I don't have any firewall operational at the time. I am not on a LAN and I have tried numerous different FTP Programs, such as WiseFTP, BulletProof FTP Client, FileZilla Client, WINScp Just top mention a few. I have tried to traceroute to it, I have tried looking for open ports with netstat -o, am not listening to port 21 or 23, I have tried to telnet to the site, to no avail. I can acess the site with another computer. I don't no how to proceed. Can anyone please help me.
    Michael A Stellato, Jun 24, 2009
  14. Candace

    Andy Louey

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Try this I had the same problem: add the FTP site you are trying to connect to as follows: Internet explorer version 7/tools/internet options/security/ trusted sites/sites add the address of the site in most cases it will default to the current address in your browser if that isn’t the address of the FTP site remove the default and add the correct ftp address. Also in some cases using a wireless router won’t work try connecting to your router via the cable supplied? Hope that works for you Cheers Andy
    Andy Louey, Aug 4, 2009