    wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on Nikon's 35mm
    bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s for my 35mm body.

    Paul
    Paul Crowder, Jul 10, 2004

  2. On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:26:57 +0000, Paul Crowder wrote:

    > I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a setup
    > for a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though,
    > especially since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an option for
    > me. So I was wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on
    > Nikon's 35mm bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s
    > for my 35mm body.

    As I understand it no, they can't. The DX lenses have an image circle
    sized for an APS size sensor - substantially smaller than a 35mm frame. It
    might be possible to mount the lenses, but they would not expose the
    entirety of the 35mm frame.

    Mike.
    Mike Brodbelt, Jul 10, 2004

  3. Paul Crowder

    Guest

    Mike Brodbelt <mike@_nospam_coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    : On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:26:57 +0000, Paul Crowder wrote:

    : > I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a setup
    : > for a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though,
    : > especially since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an option for
    : > me. So I was wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on
    : > Nikon's 35mm bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s
    : > for my 35mm body.

    : As I understand it no, they can't. The DX lenses have an image circle
    : sized for an APS size sensor - substantially smaller than a 35mm frame. It
    : might be possible to mount the lenses, but they would not expose the
    : entirety of the 35mm frame.

    : Mike.

    It really depends on the lens. For example, the 12-24mm DX lens will mount
    on a film body and will cover the full frame when zoomed to something
    like 18mm (I can't remember the exact focal length). So, for that lens,
    the covering power does increase with focal length, but I am not sure that
    is the case with all the DX lenses.

    Ray

    --
    E. Ray Lemar
    , Jul 10, 2004
  4. Paul Crowder

    Apteryx Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Mike Brodbelt <mike@_nospam_coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    > : On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 19:26:57 +0000, Paul Crowder wrote:
    >
    > : > I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a

    setup
    > : > for a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though,
    > : > especially since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an

    option for
    > : > me. So I was wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would

    work on
    > : > Nikon's 35mm bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or

    N90s
    > : > for my 35mm body.
    >
    > : As I understand it no, they can't. The DX lenses have an image

    circle
    > : sized for an APS size sensor - substantially smaller than a 35mm

    frame. It
    > : might be possible to mount the lenses, but they would not expose the
    > : entirety of the 35mm frame.
    >
    > : Mike.
    >
    > It really depends on the lens. For example, the 12-24mm DX lens will

    mount
    > on a film body and will cover the full frame when zoomed to something
    > like 18mm (I can't remember the exact focal length). So, for that

    lens,
    > the covering power does increase with focal length, but I am not sure

    that
    > is the case with all the DX lenses.

    It's a while since I tried it, but I seem to recall that the 18-70mm DX
    covered the full frame on my film SLR at around 50mm, but not if zoomed
    in either direction. Certainly at the wide end there was severe
    vignetting (with the exposed part down to simply a circle which reached
    the top of the frame only at the midpoint, as with a 180 degree fisheye
    lens).

    --
    Apteryx
    Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.
    Apteryx, Jul 11, 2004
  5. In article <5qXHc.143233$>, Paul
    Crowder <> wrote:

    > So I was
    > wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on Nikon's 35mm
    > bodies?

    Pffftt! Easy answer - No.
    Scott Schuckert, Jul 11, 2004
  6. Paul Crowder

    john Guest

    "Paul Crowder" <> wrote in message
    > I've finally decided to make the plunge: I'm selling my Nikon FM3a setup

    for
    > a Nikon D70. I'd still like the option to shoot 35mm, though, especially
    > since a digital backup body (financially) isn't an option for me. So I was
    > wondering if the DX lenses I buy for the D70 would work on Nikon's 35mm
    > bodies? More than likely I'd be going with an N80 or N90s for my 35mm

    body.

    As someone who just tried it right now after reading your message... no.

    (Tried with an F60 and an old FM).
    john, Jul 11, 2004