    hard drive and look at files? d) What about inbound and outbound emails?

    Thanks,
    Marc

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYw==?=, Feb 2, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYw==?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Well are you sharing your hard drive? If sharing is turn off, it's unlikely
    she can look at your files. In theory she is setup to do a man in the middle
    attack, so yes she has the potential to track your every move on the
    Internet and filter your e-mail, read your e-mail learn your e-mail
    passwords, indeed any user name password that you use through her
    connection.

    Yes she has access to your IP address, so what? It's child's play to find
    your computer name, your IP address (her access point controls this by the
    way) your MAC address, When you are on her access point.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Feb 2, 2007

  3. Hi
    The Wireless security has to be On, otherwise the both of you are Not
    secured from each other, and from other people.
    She would know your computer name and local IP but that is not very relevant
    to security issues in your situation.
    Your computer is on the same Network as you friend. If you are not switching
    On the Filesharing and use a software Firewall that block traffic between
    LAN computer the content of you hard drive will be safe (unless she is a
    super hacker).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 2, 2007
  4. You are pretty much as exposed as putting your computer directly onto the
    public internet (e.g. using a modem). Your neighbour has controls over what
    IP address you get.

    Remember your data is out there in the big bad world prior to getting to
    your shared access point. And pages you get at through a 128 bit encrypted
    SSL pages are as secure on this shared connection as they are in a hotel or
    starbucks.

    Generally sharing connections is a bad idea unless you really trust the
    other party. Its more a bad idea for your neighbour though - if you go
    hacking into NASA or downloading illegal stuff - they are likely to get in
    trouble.

    But don't think that means you can get away with it, they will catch you
    eventually... :)

    - Chris

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgUw==?=, Feb 5, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYw==?=

    Guest

    On 5-Feb-2007, =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgUw==?= <> wrote:

    > > My neighbor has given me permission to use her wireless internet access.
    > > She does not have security enabled, so I just connect to it. My questions
    > > are, a) could this allow her to access files on my computer? b) What would
    > > she see? My computer name? Just the IP address? c) Could she hack into my
    > > hard drive and look at files? d) What about inbound and outbound emails?

    Ethereal (free download) will, on an unencrypted connection, show the
    content (payload) of packets in plain text.
    Theoretically revealing many of your passwords, content of emails, and
    leaving you open to identity theft.
    Being an unsecured network, any snooper with a laptop could also
    do the same. There are high gain aerials that can give a wireless
    connection over surprisingly long distances, in urban areas 10 or
    20 houses away. So both of you could be at risk.

    If you go down this route I'd advise dialup (conventional PSTN modem)
    for sensitive information, banking, etc. Not 100% secure, but better
    than no security at all.

    , Feb 6, 2007