    Can most USA DVD players be made multi region and play our Region 2
    disks ok on their TVs? Do they just need to type in a code? Where are
    the lists of these codes.

    Jed, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Jed wrote:
    > Can most USA DVD players be made multi region and play our Region 2
    > disks ok on their TVs? Do they just need to type in a code? Where are
    > the lists of these codes.

    There are more regions outside the USA? You must be an iraqi commie!

    <runs ducks covers>

    Gunther Gloop, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Jed

    cerebros Guest

    "Jed" <> wrote in message
    > Can most USA DVD players be made multi region and play our Region 2
    > disks ok on their TVs? Do they just need to type in a code? Where are
    > the lists of these codes.

    I would have thought the player would need to be able to force output to
    NTSC, as PAL isn't really supported (unlike the widespread support of NTSC
    over here)

    cerebros, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Jed

    jayembee Guest

    Jed <> wrote:

    >Can most USA DVD players be made multi region and play our Region 2
    >disks ok on their TVs? Do they just need to type in a code? Where are
    >the lists of these codes.

    Virtually all Region 1 players can be made multi-region, but not all
    can be changed simply by punching in a code through the remote.

    But beyond the region coding, there's still the question of PAL to
    NTSC conversion to deal with. Most US players will only output an NTSC
    signal, and most US TVs will only accept an NTSC signal, so a PAL disc
    will not be viewable unless the player has been modified to convert a
    PAL signal to NTSC.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Jed

    Paulmw Guest

    Plus , not all american players have enough video memory for pal signals.

    Paulmw, Jan 6, 2004
  6. "Jed" <> wrote in message
    > Can most USA DVD players be made multi region and play our Region 2
    > disks ok on their TVs? Do they just need to type in a code? Where are
    > the lists of these codes.

    Can I suggest the Sampo, it costs about 80 bucks, outputs in NTSC or PAL and
    is very easily modifiable

    The Electric Frog, Jan 6, 2004
  7. The Electric Frog wrote:
    > "Jed" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Can most USA DVD players be made multi region and play our Region 2
    >>disks ok on their TVs? Do they just need to type in a code? Where are
    >>the lists of these codes.

    > Can I suggest the Sampo, it costs about 80 bucks, outputs in NTSC or PAL and
    > is very easily modifiable

    It also makes salt and gold, doesn't it? Sampo?

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jan 7, 2004
  8. In uk.media.dvd jayembee <> wrote:

    : But beyond the region coding, there's still the question of PAL to
    : NTSC conversion to deal with. Most US players will only output an NTSC
    : signal, and most US TVs will only accept an NTSC signal, so a PAL disc
    : will not be viewable unless the player has been modified to convert a
    : PAL signal to NTSC.

    In the UK the PAL/NTSC issue also isn't a big one as most (sensible!) people
    play DVDs to their TVs via RGB - and PAL/NTSC becomes totally irrelevant.

    I gather that the US uses "component video" in place of RGB. Are you saying
    that, unlike the UK, most people use a plain composite video connection and
    NOT component video cables between their DVD players and TVs?

    Brian McIlwrath, Jan 7, 2004
  9. Jed

    Justin Guest

    Brian McIlwrath wrote on [7 Jan 2004 16:51:36 GMT]:
    > In uk.media.dvd jayembee <> wrote:
    >
    >: But beyond the region coding, there's still the question of PAL to
    >: NTSC conversion to deal with. Most US players will only output an NTSC
    >: signal, and most US TVs will only accept an NTSC signal, so a PAL disc
    >: will not be viewable unless the player has been modified to convert a
    >: PAL signal to NTSC.
    >
    > In the UK the PAL/NTSC issue also isn't a big one as most (sensible!) people
    > play DVDs to their TVs via RGB - and PAL/NTSC becomes totally irrelevant.
    >
    > I gather that the US uses "component video" in place of RGB. Are you saying
    > that, unlike the UK, most people use a plain composite video connection and
    > NOT component video cables between their DVD players and TVs?

    Even using component, which is not available on *most* TVs, the signal
    is still PAL. And very few TVs in the US can display PAL.

    Justin, Jan 7, 2004
  10. In uk.media.dvd Justin <> wrote:

    : Even using component, which is not available on *most* TVs, the signal
    : is still PAL. And very few TVs in the US can display PAL.

    Component is most certainly *NOT* (even remotely!) PAL!

    Component video is what is stored on the DVD. Component<->RGB is a trivial
    (and lossless) conversion.

    What should be output to a US TV is 50Hz Component for a R2 DVD, 60Hz Component
    for an R1 one.

    Similarly a UK DVD player outputs 50Hz RGB for an R2 DVD, 60Hz for R1.

    The ability to cope with a 10Hz variance in framerate has been a function of
    UK TVs for *FAR* longer than any NTSC ability!

    Brian McIlwrath, Jan 7, 2004