    Thanks

    LEESA (I)
    , Feb 25, 2009

  2. wrote:
    > Hi... some of my friends are able to send an E-MAIL to my PC and some
    > say that they cannot do it? Some will claim that with their phone,
    > where you put in the cell phone # it won't let you put in letters, as
    > in an email address.
    >
    > OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of sending
    > a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS? ... of course provided they are
    > given the correct email addy and it's entered properly.

    Nope, not at all.
    It needs to have an email client on it - so needs to be a smartphone or a
    Blackberry.

    > I would assum these people having problems bringing up LETTERS instead
    > of numbers just has something to do with a SHIFT key or something.

    Bringing them up in what ?

    Centre Parting, Feb 25, 2009

  3. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > some of my friends are able to send an E-MAIL to my PC and some
    > say that they cannot do it?

    Correct.

    > Some will claim that with their phone,
    > where you put in the cell phone # it won't let you put in letters, as
    > in an email address.

    That isn't a very good explanation of the problem/difference. Not good at
    all.

    > OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of sending
    > a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS?

    No.

    > ... of course provided they are
    > given the correct email addy and it's entered properly.

    Still no.

    > I would assum these people having problems bringing up LETTERS instead
    > of numbers just has something to do with a SHIFT key or something.

    The letter/number 'problem' isn't the essence of the difference.

    > Any tips would be appreciated here but in the nutshell, can all cell
    > phones send emails to a PC?

    No. That is...

    .... no.

    Most cellphones are mostly like landlines talking to other phones with
    voice or text. Some cellphones are more like computers which connect to
    the internet and email.

    (Typical) Phonetext messages are not email.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 25, 2009
  4. doS Guest

    long ass answer for someone who didn't undersdtand the question

    doS, Feb 26, 2009
  5. Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:14:59 -0800, John H. Guillory
    <> wrote:

    >Actually, until AT&T Changed things, my cheaper nokia could
    >send/receive e-mails via sms messages.... Your e-mail address was
    >originally your phone number @mms.cingular.com or something like
    >that...

    That's not technically an e-mail, that's a MMS. E-mail to text
    gateway. :)
    Evan Platt, Feb 26, 2009
  6. John H. Guillory wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:30:56 -0000, "Centre Parting"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of
    >>> sending a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS? ... of course
    >>> provided they are given the correct email addy and it's entered
    >>> properly.

    >> Nope, not at all.
    >> It needs to have an email client on it - so needs to be a smartphone
    >> or a Blackberry.

    > Actually, until AT&T Changed things, my cheaper nokia could
    > send/receive e-mails via sms messages.... Your e-mail address was
    > originally your phone number @mms.cingular.com or something like
    > that...

    Did it work both ways ?
    Centre Parting, Feb 26, 2009
  7. Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-02-25, <> wrote:

    [...]

    > OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of sending
    > a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS? ... of course provided they are
    > given the correct email addy and it's entered properly.

    No.

    > I would assum these people having problems bringing up LETTERS instead
    > of numbers just has something to do with a SHIFT key or something.

    No.

    > Any tips would be appreciated here

    If the handset has an email program (or web browser, if a webmail service
    is to be used) 'built in' or downloadable to it, and the user has a mobile
    phone contract that includes 'data' and an internet connection, then
    sending and receiving email is probably possible. Once the user has set
    things up and learned how to do it, of course. Otherwise, it isn't.

    > but in the nutshell, can all cell
    > phones send emails to a PC?

    No.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Feb 27, 2009
  8. John H. Guillory wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:37:50 -0000, "Centre Parting"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> John H. Guillory wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:30:56 -0000, "Centre Parting"
    >>> <> wrote:

    >> Did it work both ways ?
    >>

    > It used to, its supposed to still work, but before I bought my
    > blackberry, something acted up and they put me on a new plan where I
    > use the blackberry to get my e-mail via a client and via blackberry
    > protocol.... You used to even at one time be able to choose a
    > user-name to use as your e-mail address, such that I could have
    > or something like that go to my phone's
    > MMS message... Then when I replied to it, it'd automatically go to
    > their e-mail.... I forgot at the time how to just write an outgoing
    > e-mail, the easiest thing to do was once you had it working, e-mail
    > your cell phone then read the message and use it as a template for
    > writing outgoing e-mails.....

    Cool.
    Centre Parting, Mar 1, 2009
  9. DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Centre Parting"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi... some of my friends are able to send an E-MAIL to my PC and some
    >> say that they cannot do it? Some will claim that with their phone,
    >> where you put in the cell phone # it won't let you put in letters, as
    >> in an email address.
    >>
    >> OK... here are a few questions? Can any cell phone capable of sending
    >> a TEXT message also send out E-MAILS? ... of course provided they are
    >> given the correct email addy and it's entered properly.

    >Nope, not at all.
    >It needs to have an email client on it - so needs to be a smartphone or a
    >Blackberry.

    Most mobile phones have email clients too -- I honestly can't remember
    the last one I owned that didn't, but definitely the Motorola Razr
    (original and Razr2 V9) and some random Sony Walkman phone both had IMAP
    clients.
    DevilsPGD, Mar 1, 2009