Can McAfee miss detecting a virus?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mike, Apr 23, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hello,

    My email address was receiving large amounts of spam (800 emails). So I
    changed it to a completely new email address. I then began to download
    my email from my new email address and was surprised to find another 800
    spam emails! Where are these spam emails coming from? Might I have a
    virus on my computer possibly?

    I phoned my ISP and they indicate that, no, they do not have any spam
    filters on their servers. (To me, that would explain all the spam). But
    they also indicated I could possibly have a "worm" on my computer and
    that no matter how many times I change my email address the huge amounts
    of spam will still come. Could this be correct? They suggested that
    before I conclude the spam was coming from their email servers, I should
    run a virus check on my computer.

    And so I ran two virus scans, first with McAfee and then next with
    AVG-Free. This took about 45 minutes each time to scan my entire hard drive.

    Fortunately, McAfee and AVG-Free both indicate that I do not have a
    virus: "No Virus detected".

    However, is it possible that, yes, I may still have a worm or a virus
    and that both McAfee and AVG-Free couldn't detect it? Do most anti-virus
    programs such as McAfee and AVG-Free detect for worms as well as viruses?

    Or can I now safely assume that my computer is free of viruses?

    (My ISP also suggested I consider using Spybot. Would that help in this
    spam situation or is Spybot just a popup blocker for browsers?)

    Thank you for any advice,

    Mike
    Mike, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Mike

    Kenty Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My email address was receiving large amounts of spam (800 emails). So I
    > changed it to a completely new email address. I then began to download my
    > email from my new email address and was surprised to find another 800 spam
    > emails! Where are these spam emails coming from? Might I have a virus on
    > my computer possibly?
    >
    > I phoned my ISP and they indicate that, no, they do not have any spam
    > filters on their servers. (To me, that would explain all the spam). But
    > they also indicated I could possibly have a "worm" on my computer and that
    > no matter how many times I change my email address the huge amounts of
    > spam will still come. Could this be correct? They suggested that before I
    > conclude the spam was coming from their email servers, I should run a
    > virus check on my computer.
    >
    > And so I ran two virus scans, first with McAfee and then next with
    > AVG-Free. This took about 45 minutes each time to scan my entire hard
    > drive.
    >
    > Fortunately, McAfee and AVG-Free both indicate that I do not have a virus:
    > "No Virus detected".
    >
    > However, is it possible that, yes, I may still have a worm or a virus and
    > that both McAfee and AVG-Free couldn't detect it? Do most anti-virus
    > programs such as McAfee and AVG-Free detect for worms as well as viruses?
    >
    > Or can I now safely assume that my computer is free of viruses?
    >
    > (My ISP also suggested I consider using Spybot. Would that help in this
    > spam situation or is Spybot just a popup blocker for browsers?)
    >
    > Thank you for any advice,
    >
    > Mike

    try the free online scanner at trend micro called "houseCall"
    Kenty, Apr 23, 2005