Can linux play quicktime movies?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by samg, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. samg

    samg Guest

    samg, Aug 2, 2003

  2. samg

    lily Guest

    "lily" <> wrote in message
    news:SiKWa.8788$...

    > "samg" <> wrote in message
    > > Quick question. Can you play quicktime movies (like the trailers on
    > > www.apple.com/trailers) on linux?

    > There are Quicktime codecs for mplayer
    >
    > http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/

    And after looking through them the answer is "not likely"

    lily, Aug 2, 2003

  3. samg

    mnm snr Guest

    my minolta digital camera takes quicktime movies

    i use mplayer to play them back & cinelerra to edit them

    mnm snr, Aug 2, 2003
  4. samg

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <3rKWa.8790$>, "lily" <>
    wrote:

    > And after looking through them the answer is "not likely"

    I could play quicktime movies fine using Xine, which was included in my
    Mandrake 9.0 default install. The problem would be downloading the
    trailers, because I don't think they'll play outside the browser. I
    could be wrong.

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Aug 3, 2003
  5. samg

    steve Guest

    samg wrote:
    > Quick question. Can you play quicktime movies (like the trailers on
    > www.apple.com/trailers) on linux?

    The easiest way is to buy Crossover Plugin from www.codeweavers.com.
    They have a canned version of WINE that is tested to run with a wide
    variety of Windows programs that they explicitly support.

    This has a nice install and let's you run the Win32 Quicktime 6.0 player
    seamlessly on the Linux desktop and embedded in the browsers.

    This package supports a variety of Windows-only plugins and internet
    programs (Trillian, for exmaple).

    My daughter also uses the Crossover Office package to run MS Office 2000
    on Linux. Again, this package supports a lot more than just MS Office.
    I've had Eudora 5.1 for Windows running on it as well just to see if
    it would work.

    It's very stable. I've seen her spend literally hours bashing away at MS
    Word 2000 and never seen it crash because its on Linux. If it has
    crashed, I've always been able to duplicate the crash on Win98SE....so I
    don't blame Linux for that. I blame microsoft. :)

    steve, Aug 3, 2003
  6. samg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > samg wrote:
    > > Quick question. Can you play quicktime movies (like the trailers on
    > > www.apple.com/trailers) on linux?

    > The easiest way is to buy Crossover Plugin from www.codeweavers.com.
    > They have a canned version of WINE that is tested to run with a wide
    > variety of Windows programs that they explicitly support.
    >
    > This has a nice install and let's you run the Win32 Quicktime 6.0 player
    > seamlessly on the Linux desktop and embedded in the browsers.
    >
    > This package supports a variety of Windows-only plugins and internet
    > programs (Trillian, for exmaple).
    >
    > My daughter also uses the Crossover Office package to run MS Office 2000
    > on Linux. Again, this package supports a lot more than just MS Office.
    > I've had Eudora 5.1 for Windows running on it as well just to see if
    > it would work.
    >
    > It's very stable. I've seen her spend literally hours bashing away at MS
    > Word 2000 and never seen it crash because its on Linux. If it has
    > crashed, I've always been able to duplicate the crash on Win98SE....so I
    > don't blame Linux for that. I blame microsoft. :)

    What about playing Windows games?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 3, 2003
  7. samg

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <d01Xa.8916$>,
    Allistar <> wrote:

    > madknoxie wrote:
    >
    > > In article <3rKWa.8790$>, "lily" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> And after looking through them the answer is "not likely"

    > > I could play quicktime movies fine using Xine, which was included in my
    > > Mandrake 9.0 default install. The problem would be downloading the
    > > trailers, because I don't think they'll play outside the browser. I
    > > could be wrong.

    > There is a way of working out the url of most trailers downloaded on the
    > internet by looking at the source of the page. Then you can download the
    > file and save it to your local disk for playing whenever you like.
    >
    > I can play most quicktime movies using Mandrake 9.1 using Xine or GMPlayer.
    > There are a few bizarre codecs around that neither of these like, in which
    > case I use the quick time player in CrossOver.

    Yeah, tried that but didn't seem to want to work... besides, its a pain
    in the arse having to look at the source for all the trailers you want
    to watch.

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Aug 3, 2003