Can Laserdiscs be transferred to DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Is it possible to record laserdiscs to DVD and if so, how can it be done? I have a 5 Laserdisc set of "The Compleat Tex Avery" that
    I am tired of waiting for the DVD release and would like to record onto DVD myself (I am aware of a French PAL/R2 DVD set that is
    available but, aside from the coding obstacles, it is also missing 5 titles from the LD version).

    Some of my concerns are:

    1. Since DVDs hold more data than LDs, is it possible to add multiple sides of a LD to a single DVD and still retain the formatting?
    (menus, chapter selection, etc.)
    2. I would prefer to use a PC-based DVD recorder. Can I interface the LD to it?
    3. If I record it using a PC can I play it on my set-top unit?
    4. Will the video and sound quality be affected?

    Any additional information, instructions, advice, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

    Specifics:
    The Laserdisc set is recorded in CLV format
    My Laserdisc player is a Pioneer CLD-909
    My DVD player is a Yamaha DV-S5270
    DVD recorder - Have not purchased yet. Any recommendations?

    Thanks in advance,
    John

    John, Dec 14, 2003

  2. John

    Rich Clark Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to record laserdiscs to DVD and if so, how can it be done?

    I have a 5 Laserdisc set of

    [snip]

    > Specifics:
    > The Laserdisc set is recorded in CLV format
    > My Laserdisc player is a Pioneer CLD-909
    > My DVD player is a Yamaha DV-S5270
    > DVD recorder - Have not purchased yet. Any recommendations?

    Laserdiscs are just ordinary composite analog video. You transfer them the
    same way you would any analog video. The LD's format and the model LD player
    don't matter.

    With a computer you'd need an video capture card with an analog input, or a
    Firewire card plus a DV camcorder with analog inputs. You'd then capture to
    your hard disc and use whatever video editing/burning software came with
    your DVD burner, which you'd also need.

    I don't have any personal experience with console DVD recorders. The new HP
    standlone unit looks interesting at $350, though.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 14, 2003

  3. John

    Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:43:39 GMT, "John" <>
    wrote:

    >Is it possible to record laserdiscs to DVD and if so, how can it be done? I have a 5 Laserdisc set of "The Compleat Tex Avery" that
    >I am tired of waiting for the DVD release and would like to record onto DVD myself (I am aware of a French PAL/R2 DVD set that is
    >available but, aside from the coding obstacles, it is also missing 5 titles from the LD version).
    >
    >Some of my concerns are:

    I have transferred them already to ntsc dvd-r using panasonic stand
    alone dvd recorders..
    As well as
    Tex Avery boxset 5 dvdr
    Looney Toons # 1 boxset 5 dvdr
    Looney Toons # 2 boxset 5 dvdr
    Looney Toons # 3 boxset 5 dvdr
    Looney Toons #4 boxset 5 dvdr
    Looney Toons # 5 boxset 4 dvdr
    Bugs & Daffy Wartime cartoons 1 dvdr
    and the Merrie Melodies boxset.

    send trade offers I am in the USA.

    , Dec 14, 2003
  4. John

    Moviezzz Guest

    It is easy to transfer LD to DVD. I have a Panasonic standalone unit and it is
    great. For those that have the computer and standalones, the standalone is said
    to be better.

    Each DVD holds from 1 to 6 hours, depending on the quality you want it. The 2
    hour a DVD quality is fairly good.

    I also have the Tex Avery set, but since you have to transfer in real time, I
    haven't gotten around to transferring that set.

    Moviezzz, Dec 14, 2003
  5. John

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:26:53 -0500, Gave us:

    >send trade offers I am in the USA.

    Illegal, retard boy.

    DarkMatter, Dec 15, 2003
  6. John

    unclejr Guest

    ospam (Moviezzz) wrote...
    > For those that have the computer and standalones, the standalone is said
    > to be better.

    Easier, yes... But better? IMHO, Not even close.

    You WERE kidding, right?

    -Junior

    unclejr, Dec 15, 2003
  7. unclejr wrote:

    > Easier, yes... But better? IMHO, Not even close.
    >
    > You WERE kidding, right?

    I'll affirm the "better" vote.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Dec 15, 2003
  8. On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 04:38:35 GMT, Darrel Christenson
    <> wrote:

    >unclejr wrote:
    >
    >> Easier, yes... But better? IMHO, Not even close.
    >>
    >> You WERE kidding, right?

    >I'll affirm the "better" vote.

    Multipass encoding in a PC inavoidably gives better results than
    single-pass hardware encoding, and PC authoring may provide animated
    menus with branching etc. which of course are not possible with a DVD
    recorder.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Dec 15, 2003
  9. John

    luminos Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 04:38:35 GMT, Darrel Christenson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >unclejr wrote:
    > >
    > >> Easier, yes... But better? IMHO, Not even close.
    > >>
    > >> You WERE kidding, right?

    > >I'll affirm the "better" vote.

    > Multipass encoding in a PC inavoidably gives better results than
    > single-pass hardware encoding, and PC authoring may provide animated
    > menus with branching etc. which of course are not possible with a DVD
    > recorder.
    >

    > . Steve .
    > >

    > >drc :)

    The proprietary filtering and manipulation in stand-alone recorders is
    better than many multipass scenarios that do hot have
    the heavy research (huge $) in the compression area. They, of course,
    target composite input, mostly, and it is superior to
    many PC software approaches.

    luminos, Dec 15, 2003
  10. John

    unclejr Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote...
    > The proprietary filtering and manipulation in stand-alone recorders is
    > better than many multipass scenarios that do hot have
    > the heavy research (huge $) in the compression area. They, of course,
    > target composite input, mostly, and it is superior to
    > many PC software approaches.

    And a source URL to back up your putative assertion is WHERE?

    -Junior

    unclejr, Dec 15, 2003
  11. John

    HellRazor Guest

    "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:26:53 -0500, Gave us:
    >
    > >send trade offers I am in the USA.

    > Illegal, retard boy.

    Boo fucking hoo.

    HellRazor, Dec 16, 2003
  12. John

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "HellRazor" <> wrote in message

    > "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:26:53 -0500, Gave us:
    > >
    > > >send trade offers I am in the USA.

    > > Illegal, retard boy.

    > Boo fucking hoo.

    None of that stuff is available on DVD, probably never will be. I say trade
    away.

    Pug Fugley, Dec 16, 2003
  13. John

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:43:47 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> Gave
    us:

    >"HellRazor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message
    >> > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:26:53 -0500, Gave us:

    >> > Illegal, retard boy.

    >> Boo fucking hoo.

    >None of that stuff is available on DVD, probably never will be. I say trade
    >away.

    That doesn't change the rules of his ownership of data image on the
    disc. He can bitch technically, and get away with making an archival
    copy, but he doesn't get to go 'round "trading" burned copies of his
    fucking library, you retarded bastard.

    I love how you twits want to play with the big boys. You always
    give away your poor character quirks on these "little" yet quite
    important issues.

    I have about 40 VHS tapes, some of which contain off air tapings of
    say SCTV episodes, or media coverage of the Gulf War in '91 for
    several weeks.

    Every film I own on LD or DVD, is a store purchased, retail release,
    and I don't need a fucking backup of them. I have some duplicate,
    unopened releases archived in a safety deposit box (SOTL C, Etc.)

    If *I* screw up a disc, I will go get another. If the disc is
    damaged from manufacture, I will expect the maker to replace it
    forthwith, as is part of the basic guarantee of functionality of a
    product purchased. Generally, they will. If *I* lose a disc in a
    fire or theft, I will make an insurance claim against the loss.

    I don't need a friggin DVD burner. If I need to transport several
    GB of data somewhere, I can rar it up onto CDs cheaper AND faster.

    They are for viewing, not recording, trading, Giving one to Uncle
    Sue, or any other of that baby, low character bullshit.

    Yeah... they make a lot of money. What the **** do you think
    decades old empires do?

    They ALSO provide us with the most advanced, highest quality
    cinematic experiences on the planet, and their DVD re-releases of them
    are just as dazzling, and worth every penny they ask for them. Hell,
    most places have sales on fresh releases to pull customers into their
    stores.

    You all go ahead, and waste your time with trivial, honor busting
    hobbies... go ahead, ya bunch of retards. Copy away. I hope god
    heaves a heart grab on yer ass one night, while yer sittin' in front
    of your next authoring session, right as you press the record key.
    I hope all your fucking retarded, thumpy thumpy cars fall apart in the
    street, and cost you thousands to repair. I hope you are too stupid
    to see how you are such an uneducated waste of skin.

    DarkMatter, Dec 16, 2003
  14. On 15 Dec 2003 13:27:18 -0800, (unclejr) wrote:

    >"luminos" <> wrote...
    >> The proprietary filtering and manipulation in stand-alone recorders is
    >> better than many multipass scenarios that do hot have
    >> the heavy research (huge $) in the compression area. They, of course,
    >> target composite input, mostly, and it is superior to
    >> many PC software approaches.

    >And a source URL to back up your putative assertion is WHERE?

    All the best filters usch as Dust for reducing grain and various
    decombing and colouring filters etc that work with AVIsynth do anythng
    that needs to be done. Also DVD produced on a PC can of course be
    24fps with a pulldown flag. I've yet to hear of an NTSC DVD recorder
    that records a film source in other than interlaced 30fps. On a PC or
    MAC the DVD can be fully done in Premier or FinalCut Pro, very little
    effort is needed to adjust sound, adjust the levels of a couple of
    scenes, get rid of noise, etc, before rendering the Mpeg. You can dd
    a greyscale filter, most importantly, or sharpen a bit.....

    . Steve..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Dec 16, 2003
  15. John

    > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:43:47 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> Gave
    > us:
    >

    > >"HellRazor" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "DarkMatter" <> wrote in

    message

    > >> Boo fucking hoo.

    > >None of that stuff is available on DVD, probably never will be. I say

    trade
    > >away.
    > >

    > That doesn't change the rules of his ownership of data image on the
    > disc. He can bitch technically, and get away with making an archival
    > copy, but he doesn't get to go 'round "trading" burned copies of his
    > fucking library, you retarded bastard.
    >
    > I love how you twits want to play with the big boys. You always
    > give away your poor character quirks on these "little" yet quite
    > important issues.
    >
    > I have about 40 VHS tapes, some of which contain off air tapings of
    > say SCTV episodes, or media coverage of the Gulf War in '91 for
    > several weeks.
    >
    > Every film I own on LD or DVD, is a store purchased, retail release,
    > and I don't need a fucking backup of them. I have some duplicate,
    > unopened releases archived in a safety deposit box (SOTL C, Etc.)
    >
    > If *I* screw up a disc, I will go get another. If the disc is
    > damaged from manufacture, I will expect the maker to replace it
    > forthwith, as is part of the basic guarantee of functionality of a
    > product purchased. Generally, they will. If *I* lose a disc in a
    > fire or theft, I will make an insurance claim against the loss.
    >
    > I don't need a friggin DVD burner. If I need to transport several
    > GB of data somewhere, I can rar it up onto CDs cheaper AND faster.
    >
    > They are for viewing, not recording, trading, Giving one to Uncle
    > Sue, or any other of that baby, low character bullshit.
    >
    > Yeah... they make a lot of money. What the **** do you think
    > decades old empires do?
    >
    > They ALSO provide us with the most advanced, highest quality
    > cinematic experiences on the planet, and their DVD re-releases of them
    > are just as dazzling, and worth every penny they ask for them. Hell,
    > most places have sales on fresh releases to pull customers into their
    > stores.
    >
    > You all go ahead, and waste your time with trivial, honor busting
    > hobbies... go ahead, ya bunch of retards. Copy away. I hope god
    > heaves a heart grab on yer ass one night, while yer sittin' in front
    > of your next authoring session, right as you press the record key.
    > I hope all your fucking retarded, thumpy thumpy cars fall apart in the
    > street, and cost you thousands to repair. I hope you are too stupid
    > to see how you are such an uneducated waste of skin.

    "The Big Boys"? Like DickMatter? The pinnacle of honor and decent
    behavior?

    BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Man, but that's rich.

    P.S. Yeah, I quoted the whole thing DontMatter, because I know how much you
    like that. Guess yer just gonna have to call the USENET police on me. Oh,
    have them get rid of the trolls while you're at it.

    HellRazor, Dec 16, 2003
  16. John

    luminos Guest

    You can't read, can you?

    luminos, Dec 16, 2003
  17. John

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:39:09 GMT, "HellRazor" <> Gave
    us:

    >P.S. Yeah, I quoted the whole thing DontMatter, because I know how much you
    >like that. Guess yer just gonna have to call the USENET police on me. Oh,
    >have them get rid of the trolls while you're at it.

    One day, I'm gonna make an EMP or ESD pulser, and trounce on some
    twits' computers, and other household electronic gear. Pop all the
    lame fuks' shit.

    DarkMatter, Dec 16, 2003
  18. John

    > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:39:09 GMT, "HellRazor" <> Gave
    > us:
    >
    > >P.S. Yeah, I quoted the whole thing DontMatter, because I know how much

    you
    > >like that. Guess yer just gonna have to call the USENET police on me.

    Oh,
    > >have them get rid of the trolls while you're at it.

    > One day, I'm gonna make an EMP or ESD pulser, and trounce on some
    > twits' computers, and other household electronic gear. Pop all the
    > lame fuks' shit.

    Next stop...the Twilight Zone.

    HellRazor, Dec 16, 2003
  19. in article , DarkMatter at
    wrote on 12/16/03 1:10 AM:

    > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:39:09 GMT, "HellRazor" <> Gave
    > us:
    >
    >> P.S. Yeah, I quoted the whole thing DontMatter, because I know how much you
    >> like that. Guess yer just gonna have to call the USENET police on me. Oh,
    >> have them get rid of the trolls while you're at it.

    > One day, I'm gonna make an EMP or ESD pulser, and trounce on some
    > twits' computers, and other household electronic gear. Pop all the
    > lame fuks' shit.

    Why do you bother to post at all?

    When it comes to factual information I have yet to see a single post by you
    where you've come anywhere close to being correct about anything.

    Likewise I have yet to see any post by you where when it comes to opinion
    that you've acted like anything but some obnoxious and highly disturbed
    little kid.

    A simple search on Google shows this isn't confined to alt.video.dvd.
    You're the same jerk everyone hates and disagrees with all throughout Usenet
    and perhaps in the real world as well.

    Why don't you spend less time posting and more time either in therapy or
    getting a real education.

    Seriously, it's the holidays...there's a lot of stress and such...before
    your next post, just try calling a help line and venting a bit to a
    professional.

    I realize that you're crying out for help, but I don't think anyone here is
    qualified or is interested in helping you with your problems, nor do I think
    your method of lashing out at others is the way to go about getting help.

    I'm sorry if I've offended you. I *do* wish you well...

    http://www.suicide-helplines.org/

    MR_ED_of_Course, Dec 16, 2003
  20. John

    Mr. Moody Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:43:47 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:

    >"HellRazor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message
    >> > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:26:53 -0500, Gave us:

    >> > Illegal, retard boy.

    >> Boo fucking hoo.

    >None of that stuff is available on DVD, probably never will be. I say trade
    >away.

    I know it will never happen, but I think copyright law should include a
    use-it-or-lose-it clause where anything unpublished for say, 10 years becomes
    public domain. Then we wouldn't have such an availability problem.

    -Mr.Moody-Remove the don't like spam to mail
    The best DVDs ever created:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/r...ath=tg/listmania/list-browse/-/1DI9N74554UWW/

    Mr. Moody, Dec 16, 2003