    helpful indeed.

    Thanks.

    Morton
    Morton, Jul 5, 2007

  2. Morton wrote:
    > [...] Is there any way to have my
    > H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
    > would be very helpful indeed.

    What on earth is a JPEG number?

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jul 5, 2007

  3. Morton

    Charles Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    > Morton wrote:
    >> [...] Is there any way to have my
    >> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
    >> would be very helpful indeed.

    > What on earth is a JPEG number?

    File name?
    Charles, Jul 5, 2007
  4. Morton

    Morton Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > Morton wrote:
    >> [...] Is there any way to have my
    >> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
    >> would be very helpful indeed.

    > What on earth is a JPEG number?
    >
    > jue

    In a digital camera that used the JPEG software method, each photograph
    has a discrete JPEG number, by which each photo can be identified. This
    remains fixed, even though its frame number will change as deletions or
    additions are made.It is like that photo's finger print, so to speak.

    Morton
    Morton, Jul 5, 2007
  5. Morton

    Marvin Guest

    Morton wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a question concerning H-P 4x6" inkjet photo paper. I notice that
    > a bit of each photo is printed onto the removable tab. I have difficulty
    > keeping track of large numbers of prints, e.g. vacation photos
    > distributed to friends and family. Is there any way to have my H-P photo
    > printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It would be very
    > helpful indeed.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Morton

    The purpose of the tab is to hold the paper in place in the
    printer while the printing takes place. There is no
    allowance for printing on it. But you could put the paper
    in again, turned 180 deg., and print what you want in that area.
    Marvin, Jul 6, 2007
  6. Morton

    Morton Guest

    Marvin wrote:
    > Morton wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a question concerning H-P 4x6" inkjet photo paper. I notice
    >> that a bit of each photo is printed onto the removable tab. I have
    >> difficulty keeping track of large numbers of prints, e.g. vacation
    >> photos distributed to friends and family. Is there any way to have my
    >> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
    >> would be very helpful indeed.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Morton

    > The purpose of the tab is to hold the paper in place in the printer
    > while the printing takes place. There is no allowance for printing on
    > it. But you could put the paper in again, turned 180 deg., and print
    > what you want in that area.

    Thanks for the reply. If the tab is to hold the paper in place, instead
    of for writing notes on it with pen, then what holds the 4x6" tabless
    paper in place?

    Morton
    Morton, Jul 7, 2007
  7. Morton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:56:50 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:

    >> [...] Is there any way to have my
    >> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
    >> would be very helpful indeed.

    > What on earth is a JPEG number?

    If you've taken many similar pictures and have given some to
    family and friends, it would be nice for them to have some foolproof
    way of identifying particular prints, if they should want more. So
    instead of saying "It was the shot that had two yellow flowers in
    it", they could say "It had DSC_2081.JPG" printed on the tab.
    ASAAR, Jul 7, 2007
  8. Morton

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:56:50 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >
    >>> [...] Is there any way to have my
    >>> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
    >>> would be very helpful indeed.

    >> What on earth is a JPEG number?

    > If you've taken many similar pictures and have given some to
    > family and friends, it would be nice for them to have some foolproof
    > way of identifying particular prints, if they should want more. So
    > instead of saying "It was the shot that had two yellow flowers in
    > it", they could say "It had DSC_2081.JPG" printed on the tab.

    That is the price one pays for the current trend toward 'borderless'
    prints. Those borders could be used for notations. I rather liked the
    prints from Fox back in the 1950's because they had a month and year on
    each picture front, and the number of the negative on the back.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 7, 2007
  9. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:56:50 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >
    >>> [...] Is there any way to have my
    >>> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
    >>> would be very helpful indeed.

    >> What on earth is a JPEG number?

    > If you've taken many similar pictures and have given some to
    > family and friends, it would be nice for them to have some foolproof
    > way of identifying particular prints, if they should want more. So
    > instead of saying "It was the shot that had two yellow flowers in
    > it", they could say "It had DSC_2081.JPG" printed on the tab.

    So you believe the OP was just talking about the file name? Possible.
    Maybe you are a better mind reader than me. Even after his additional
    explanation I couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jul 7, 2007
  10. Morton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:59:34 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:

    > So you believe the OP was just talking about the file name? Possible.
    > Maybe you are a better mind reader than me. Even after his additional
    > explanation I couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

    It might have been made clearer, but I think that what the OP
    meant by the changing "frame number" is just the number that some
    cameras show on the LCD display. So if ten pictures are taken with
    a brand new camera, it might have ten 'jpeg' numbers, from say
    DSC_0001.JPG through DSC_0010.JPG, and frame numbers 1 through 10.
    If DSC_0008 is deleted, DSC_0009.JPG and DSC_0010.JPG would be have
    their frame numbers of 9 and 10 reassigned to 8 and 9, but the 'DSC'
    type 'jpeg' numbers would, as the OP said, remain fixed.
    ASAAR, Jul 8, 2007
  11. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:59:34 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >
    >> So you believe the OP was just talking about the file name? Possible.
    >> Maybe you are a better mind reader than me. Even after his additional
    >> explanation I couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

    > It might have been made clearer, but I think that what the OP
    > meant by the changing "frame number" is just the number that some
    > cameras show on the LCD display. So if ten pictures are taken with
    > a brand new camera, it might have ten 'jpeg' numbers, from say
    > DSC_0001.JPG through DSC_0010.JPG, and frame numbers 1 through 10.
    > If DSC_0008 is deleted, DSC_0009.JPG and DSC_0010.JPG would be have
    > their frame numbers of 9 and 10 reassigned to 8 and 9, but the 'DSC'
    > type 'jpeg' numbers would, as the OP said, remain fixed.

    What a convoluted way of thinking! Your crystal ball definitely works better
    than mine ;-)
    Jürgen Exner, Jul 8, 2007
  12. Morton

    Morton Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:59:34 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >
    >> So you believe the OP was just talking about the file name? Possible.
    >> Maybe you are a better mind reader than me. Even after his additional
    >> explanation I couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

    > It might have been made clearer, but I think that what the OP
    > meant by the changing "frame number" is just the number that some
    > cameras show on the LCD display. So if ten pictures are taken with
    > a brand new camera, it might have ten 'jpeg' numbers, from say
    > DSC_0001.JPG through DSC_0010.JPG, and frame numbers 1 through 10.
    > If DSC_0008 is deleted, DSC_0009.JPG and DSC_0010.JPG would be have
    > their frame numbers of 9 and 10 reassigned to 8 and 9, but the 'DSC'
    > type 'jpeg' numbers would, as the OP said, remain fixed.

    Quite right. Frame numbers change as pix are deleted, while JPEG numbers
    are fixed, like fingerprints.

    I do not understand why some members are puzzled by my question. If the
    printer can print a strip of the image onto the tab, then perhaps
    someone could program it to print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab.

    Thanks.

    Morton
    Morton, Jul 8, 2007
  13. Morton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:08:36 -0400, Morton wrote:

    > Quite right. Frame numbers change as pix are deleted, while JPEG numbers
    > are fixed, like fingerprints.
    >
    > I do not understand why some members are puzzled by my question. If the
    > printer can print a strip of the image onto the tab, then perhaps
    > someone could program it to print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab.
    >
    > Thanks.

    You're welcome. It's possible I suppose, but I'd be surprised if
    it has been, since that tab is meant to be torn off and thrown away.
    The closest I've seen to printing filenames in a similar manner
    would be Irfanview's ability to include that (and more) on pages of
    thumbnails images, but I haven't seen many other photo apps. Since
    it lets you create 'thumbnails' as large as you want, with whatever
    resolution you prefer, they have the same print quality as normal
    prints. If resized to slightly less than 5.5" wide, you can get 4
    prints per 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of photo paper. It can be tedious
    though, so it would probably be much easier done with some more
    sophisticated printing app. You'd probably also save some money by
    using more inexpensive paper, if you don't mind trimming it.

    Although I haven't tried it yet, many of the people here consider
    Qimage to be the best photo printing app., mostly because of its
    very high quality output and possibly from its high speed operation.
    It's also very flexible, and here are a few of its many features :

    > Maximize the number of prints on each page, regardless of individual print size

    > Instant preview of page being built

    > Mix and match different sizes on same printout/page

    > Automatically fit three 4 x 6 prints on an 8 x 10 page

    > Print image info for any/all images

    > Individual text annotations for each image

    > Numerous pagination options for centering images, preparing for cutouts, etc.

    > Display digital camera info embedded in JPG, TIF, and other formats

    and if you might ever want to place the information on the image
    itself instead of in a border :

    http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/
    ASAAR, Jul 8, 2007
  14. Morton

    Eric Miller Guest

    Morton wrote:
    > ASAAR wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:59:34 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >>
    >>> So you believe the OP was just talking about the file name? Possible.
    >>> Maybe you are a better mind reader than me. Even after his additional
    >>> explanation I couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

    >> It might have been made clearer, but I think that what the OP
    >> meant by the changing "frame number" is just the number that some
    >> cameras show on the LCD display. So if ten pictures are taken with
    >> a brand new camera, it might have ten 'jpeg' numbers, from say
    >> DSC_0001.JPG through DSC_0010.JPG, and frame numbers 1 through 10.
    >> If DSC_0008 is deleted, DSC_0009.JPG and DSC_0010.JPG would be have
    >> their frame numbers of 9 and 10 reassigned to 8 and 9, but the 'DSC'
    >> type 'jpeg' numbers would, as the OP said, remain fixed.
    >>

    > Quite right. Frame numbers change as pix are deleted, while JPEG numbers
    > are fixed, like fingerprints.
    >
    > I do not understand why some members are puzzled by my question. If the
    > printer can print a strip of the image onto the tab, then perhaps
    > someone could program it to print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Morton

    The reason some are puzzled is that what you are calling a "JPEG number"
    is actually the file name assigned by the camera. Your use of the phrase
    "frame number" is also problematic since digital cameras don't really
    have frame numbers and not all of them have anything analogous. Your
    claim that each photo has a discrete "JPEG number" also threw a curve,
    because whether the camera restarts it's file number naming when a new
    flash card is inserted can vary and/or depend on user settings. "JPEG
    software method" was yet another curve. However, though it eventually
    became apparent what you meant by "JPEG number," I don't think your
    proffered terminology is going to catch on anytime soon.

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com
    Eric Miller, Jul 8, 2007
  15. Morton

    CharleiD Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 16:27:35 -0400, Morton <> wrote:

    >Marvin wrote:
    >> Morton wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have a question concerning H-P 4x6" inkjet photo paper. I notice
    >>> that a bit of each photo is printed onto the removable tab. I have
    >>> difficulty keeping track of large numbers of prints, e.g. vacation
    >>> photos distributed to friends and family. Is there any way to have my
    >>> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
    >>> would be very helpful indeed.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Morton

    >> The purpose of the tab is to hold the paper in place in the printer
    >> while the printing takes place. There is no allowance for printing on
    >> it. But you could put the paper in again, turned 180 deg., and print
    >> what you want in that area.

    >Thanks for the reply. If the tab is to hold the paper in place, instead
    >of for writing notes on it with pen, then what holds the 4x6" tabless
    >paper in place?
    >
    >Morton

    Check an advanced image editing program called "PhotoLine 32" from www.pl32.com
    It has an option called "Text to Picture" in the Layout menu. With that you can
    print anything that you want from the photo's data, in any fonts, colors, or
    even 3D effects if you so desire, anywhere on your print. Or if you want it off
    the side of the print then just put your image in PhotoLine's "Document" mode
    where you can arrange photo and text as if working on a desktop publishing
    program. The filename, date taken, the time, make and model of camera, anything
    you want from your photo data can be printed. Even your own notes that you might
    put in the editable IPTC data.

    Using PhotoLine's custom print layout options, under "File" > "Print Options",
    you can make sure that that information is printed in the tab area. You indicate
    that your printer over-prints image data in that region, so you could carefully
    resize your images in the custom print features and have just the label printed
    there in a font small enough to fit. Or position the "Text to Picture"
    information right on the image in the area that is always over-printed. Making
    your font black with a white background, or any colors you choose. This would be
    the simplest way.

    Once you have figured out your custom print settings save them to a
    user-definable preset that you can recall any time you want. You can then print
    all your photos that way, even in unattended batch modes.
    CharleiD, Jul 8, 2007
  16. Morton wrote:
    > ASAAR wrote:
    >> It might have been made clearer, but I think that what the OP
    >> meant by the changing "frame number" is just the number that some
    >> cameras show on the LCD display. So if ten pictures are taken with
    >> a brand new camera, it might have ten 'jpeg' numbers, from say
    >> DSC_0001.JPG through DSC_0010.JPG, and frame numbers 1 through 10.
    >> If DSC_0008 is deleted, DSC_0009.JPG and DSC_0010.JPG would be have
    >> their frame numbers of 9 and 10 reassigned to 8 and 9, but the 'DSC'
    >> type 'jpeg' numbers would, as the OP said, remain fixed.

    > Quite right. Frame numbers change as pix are deleted, while JPEG
    > numbers are fixed, like fingerprints.
    >
    > I do not understand why some members are puzzled by my question.

    Quite simple: because you invented your own terminology. Had you just said
    filename then everyone would have understood immediately. BTW:
    - file names are not "fixed like fingerprints". I can change them at will
    any time as I please
    - the numbers are not unique, not even within the same camera: depending on
    settings the camera may reset the counter to zero on several occasions, e.g.
    when inserting a memory card, when rolling over from 9999 as recently
    discussed in a another thread, ..., I can manually restart the numbering
    sequence, etc.
    - as for "frame number": the Exif header actually does have a field "frame
    count" although I do not know what it is used for. All my photos that I
    looked at have a "frame count" of 1. So I was wondering if maybe you meant
    that number and was looking for a corresponding JPEG number/jpeg count in
    either the Exif or JFIF headers and couldn't find it, of course.
    - Besides, none of my cameras has this funky "frame number" concept. They
    simply show how many pictures are stored on the memory card and estimate how
    many more will fit. What is the benefit of assigning artifical numbers to
    individual pictures if this mapping changes all the time?

    Anyway, to at least partially answer your original question (rephrased), if
    you can print a file name in the margins or photo paper: that depends
    largely on your printer.
    Does that area belong to the physically printable area? Meaning, if you are
    printing normal text with no margins, will the printer be able to print in
    that area? If no, then you are out of luck.

    If yes, then there are many tools available that will modify a picture.
    Years ago I wrote a little Perl script which would insert the file name and
    a big red cross into any picture such that we could easily identify the file
    name of pictures used in programs for testing purposes. Sorry, proprietary
    SW, can't share it, but it wasn't difficult at all.
    You could use a similar approach to e.g. enlarge the photo size to include
    the margin and then copy the file name (or just the number from the file
    name) into that space. Just for printing, of course.

    Or create a document (HTML, PDF, PS, Word, ...), which consists of the photo
    plus the additional information at the desired location and then print that
    document.

    I am sure there are many more ideas.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jul 8, 2007
  17. Morton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 23:35:08 -0500, CharleiD wrote:

    > Check an advanced image editing program called "PhotoLine 32"

    Ah, yes. Thanks for piping up again so that you can be added to
    the CHDK / Photoline 32 list of sock puppet trolls. Now including :

    Baumbadier, CharleiD, GoKiting. HokusPokus, ,
    RockyZ, SayWhat, SelfImporantName, spamless, and X-Man.
    ASAAR, Jul 8, 2007
  18. Morton

    CharleiD Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 09:26:31 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 23:35:08 -0500, CharleiD wrote:
    >
    >> Check an advanced image editing program called "PhotoLine 32"

    > Ah, yes. Thanks for piping up again so that you can be added to
    >the CHDK / Photoline 32 list of sock puppet trolls. Now including :
    >
    > Baumbadier, CharleiD, GoKiting. HokusPokus, ,
    > RockyZ, SayWhat, SelfImporantName, spamless, and X-Man.

    What a moron. How nice to see you helping so many people around here with any
    valid advice whatsoever.

    What a sad life you must have.
    CharleiD, Jul 8, 2007
  19. Morton

    SMS Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:

    > I am sure there are many more ideas.

    There are a lot of ways to do it, I've done something similar on
    occasion using Photoshop Elements. But it'd be nice if there were some
    way to do it automatically, i.e. "Create Bordered Print with File Name
    in Border" rather than have to edit every photo to include it.

    I never liked text on the front, but my wife, when making photo albums,
    wanted to do it, rather than making little labels for photos. Printing
    the text in a border is a way to save a lot of work, too bad it can't be
    done more easily.
    SMS, Jul 8, 2007
  20. Morton

    Marvin Guest

    Morton wrote:
    > Marvin wrote:
    >> Morton wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have a question concerning H-P 4x6" inkjet photo paper. I notice
    >>> that a bit of each photo is printed onto the removable tab. I have
    >>> difficulty keeping track of large numbers of prints, e.g. vacation
    >>> photos distributed to friends and family. Is there any way to have my
    >>> H-P photo printer print each photo's JPEG number onto that tab? It
    >>> would be very helpful indeed.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Morton

    >> The purpose of the tab is to hold the paper in place in the printer
    >> while the printing takes place. There is no allowance for printing on
    >> it. But you could put the paper in again, turned 180 deg., and print
    >> what you want in that area.

    > Thanks for the reply. If the tab is to hold the paper in place, instead
    > of for writing notes on it with pen, then what holds the 4x6" tabless
    > paper in place?
    >
    > Morton

    In my HP printer, I can use tabless paper, but then I can't
    print on the last half inch. Some printers have a different
    mechanism to hold the paper in place while printing.
    Marvin, Jul 8, 2007