    Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
    router period?
    , Dec 8, 2004

  2. wrote:
    > I currently do NOT have any computer equip capable of
    > receiving a wireless router signal. Don't have a
    > wireless laptop or anything like that
    >
    > Can I still go ahead an buy a wireless router and use
    > it for my WIRED equip and NOT use the wireless features
    > but have it there in case I do need it in the future?
    >
    > Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
    > router period?

    Don't be ridiculous. Do you honestly think that every router in the
    world should be replaced by some cheap-ass consumer level wireless piece
    of crap? But to answer your other question, if the wireless router
    you're looking at has wired ports, then yes, go ahead and use it for
    your wired devices. It would be better to disable the wireless functions
    if they're not being used.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 8, 2004

  3. On 08 Dec 2004, scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I currently do NOT have any computer equip capable of
    > receiving a wireless router signal. Don't have a
    > wireless laptop or anything like that
    >
    > Can I still go ahead an buy a wireless router and use
    > it for my WIRED equip and NOT use the wireless features
    > but have it there in case I do need it in the future?
    >
    > Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
    > router period?

    1. Sure, use the wired ports for now, and add wireless adapters to your
    equipment (or add new equipment) as needed later on.

    2. Depends on what I'd need a router for.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life
    The Old Sourdough, Dec 8, 2004
  4. <> wrote ...
    > I currently do NOT have any computer equip capable of
    > receiving a wireless router signal. Don't have a
    > wireless laptop or anything like that
    >
    > Can I still go ahead an buy a wireless router and use
    > it for my WIRED equip and NOT use the wireless features
    > but have it there in case I do need it in the future?
    >
    > Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
    > router period?

    Sure get a WiFi router which also has a few wired ports.
    Personally my experience of WiFi Routers has been poor and eventually I just
    went ahead and installed some CAT5. That said I normally use remote
    computers for video ... the WiFi was fine for browsing etc *most* of the
    time however it still dropped out now and again.
    Use.Netuser.de, Dec 8, 2004
  5. On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:27:39 -0600, wrote:

    >I currently do NOT have any computer equip capable of
    >receiving a wireless router signal. Don't have a
    >wireless laptop or anything like that
    >
    >Can I still go ahead an buy a wireless router and use
    >it for my WIRED equip and NOT use the wireless features
    >but have it there in case I do need it in the future?

    It might be cheaper to buy now a wired router and WHEN YOU NEED IT the
    wireless....

    >Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
    >router period?

    If i need them,i would buy that what does the job right....
    Sayso Takewashi, Dec 9, 2004
  6. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote in news::

    > I currently do NOT have any computer equip capable of
    > receiving a wireless router signal. Don't have a
    > wireless laptop or anything like that
    >
    > Can I still go ahead an buy a wireless router and use
    > it for my WIRED equip and NOT use the wireless features
    > but have it there in case I do need it in the future?

    You shouldn't buy a wireless router even if you get one that comes with
    wired ports. The wireless routers use a lot of energy and burn out much
    more quickly because of producing those radio signals as opposed to a
    router that's solely or only is pushing those signals on copper wire that's
    using less energy to do it.

    > Bottom line.... would you never again buy a WIRED only
    > router period?

    Wireless technology is in flux and what you buy today will be outdated by
    tomorrow. But good old reliable CAT 5 wired technology is going to be
    there.

    You may want to look at a wire router and plugging a wireless AP into the
    good old reliable wired router for a wireless solution.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 9, 2004
  7. YES

    David Hemingsley, Dec 9, 2004
  8. Guest

    >Sure get a WiFi router which also has a few wired ports.
    >Personally my experience of WiFi Routers has been poor and eventually I just
    >went ahead and installed some CAT5. That said I normally use remote
    >computers for video ... the WiFi was fine for browsing etc *most* of the
    >time however it still dropped out now and again.

    Agree on the wire

    I will use wire ALL the time when I can

    And use only wireless for PDAs and laptops around the
    home

    But like I said I haven't bought a PDA or laptop yet.

    Hence the questions
    , Dec 9, 2004
  9. Guest

    >You shouldn't buy a wireless router even if you get one that comes with
    >wired ports. The wireless routers use a lot of energy and burn out much
    >more quickly because of producing those radio signals as opposed to a
    >router that's solely or only is pushing those signals on copper wire that's
    >using less energy to do it.

    I see

    No way to just "turn off" the wireless portion all
    together until needed?

    >Wireless technology is in flux and what you buy today will be outdated by
    >tomorrow. But good old reliable CAT 5 wired technology is going to be
    >there.
    >
    >You may want to look at a wire router and plugging a wireless AP into the
    >good old reliable wired router for a wireless solution.

    OK

    Good advice. Thanks!!

    Time is always on my side when it comes to buying
    hardware I suppose. Like you said whatever wireless
    "standard" there is today will be replaced soon in the
    future
    , Dec 9, 2004
  10. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote in news::

    >>You shouldn't buy a wireless router even if you get one that comes
    >>with wired ports. The wireless routers use a lot of energy and burn
    >>out much more quickly because of producing those radio signals as
    >>opposed to a router that's solely or only is pushing those signals on
    >>copper wire that's using less energy to do it.

    > I see
    >
    > No way to just "turn off" the wireless portion all
    > together until needed?

    I have never seen or heard of one. But that's not to say there are none out
    there.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Dec 9, 2004