Can I use Western Digital Caviar SE16 and RE2 in RAID array?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Peter, Sep 13, 2007.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hello,

    maybe a newbie question, but I have no experience with RAID configurations
    at all.

    I own 2 WD SATA 150 harddisks, one is the Caviar SE16 400GB model WD4000KD,
    the other is the Caviar RE2 400GB model WD4000YR, optimized for RAID/server
    arrays. Both have 16MB cache, there are some very small differences in
    specifications, and only one of two supports NCQ, the RE2 model.

    I contacted WD technical support, but all I got was a list of FAQ that didnt
    answer my question, which is;

    Can I use the 2 drives combined in RAID array configuration and if so; what
    up- or downsides are there and what setup would be best?

    Some basic system specs;

    Athlon 64 X2 4200+ on DFI Lanparty UT NF4, 2 x 1GB Buffalo DDR400, GeForce
    7900GT, Win XP Pro Corporate.

    TIA

    Peter
    Peter, Sep 13, 2007

  2. Peter

    old man Guest

    Ideally drives should be the same the same, but usually it doesn't matter
    (with caveats)

    Perhaps one should ask why you are considering raid and what you hope to
    achieve with this?

    old man, Sep 13, 2007

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in message
    > Ideally drives should be the same the same, but usually it doesn't matter
    > (with caveats)
    >
    > Perhaps one should ask why you are considering raid and what you hope to
    > achieve with this?

    Thanx for answering.

    The WD4000YR is meant as a serverharddisk in RAID configuration, as single
    disk in a desktop PC it can cause errors and system hang ups, I only found
    that out after I had already bought it., but the main reason why I got it in
    the first place and now consider RAID is simple;

    I almost lost all data from one of my drives, one that's only about six
    months old, I was able to recover most of the files and fix the corrupted
    drive but I dont trust it anymore and will try RMA the thing (nope I didnt
    buy it on the corner, it's a known brand that used to be good but s*cks now,
    maybe because last year it's been acquired by another known brand LOL).

    I want to use a mirrored RAID config so in case one drive fails I always
    have a back up drive. I already had the SE16 WD and tried get a second one
    but that particular version wasn't available anymore. the WD RE2 400GB came
    highly recommended so I bought that one instead and was just wondering if I
    could use both for a RAID setup.

    Peter, Sep 13, 2007
  4. Peter

    old man Guest

    I dont know the specs of the WD4000YR or the reason for the apparent probs
    if not installed in raid config - maybe something to do with its cache?
    If you use hd's of a different size in mirror config you will only have
    available the size of the smallest hd - yours are the same size.

    A mirror setup is not a total solution for data integrity, you should still
    backup
    A problem can still be mirrored across both drives.

    Baring in mind the apparent probs with the WD4000YR you might be best
    advised to email WD tech to see if there is any possibility of conflicts

    old man, Sep 14, 2007
  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in message
    >I dont know the specs of the WD4000YR or the reason for the apparent probs
    >if not installed in raid config - maybe something to do with its cache?
    > If you use hd's of a different size in mirror config you will only have
    > available the size of the smallest hd - yours are the same size.
    >
    > A mirror setup is not a total solution for data integrity, you should
    > still backup
    > A problem can still be mirrored across both drives.
    >
    > Baring in mind the apparent probs with the WD4000YR you might be best
    > advised to email WD tech to see if there is any possibility of conflicts

    Thanx old man, the most important difference between the 2 drives is that
    the RE2 has a shorter error recovery time (TLER) than a normal desktop drive
    would have, because it's meant to be in RAID array. I will try contact WD
    again, meantime I'm open for any reliable alternatives to safely store data
    for a longer period of time....

    Peter, Sep 14, 2007