Can I use MCP as a stepping stone to MCSA?

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by chobbney@hotmail.com, May 15, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I currently passed the A+ and Network+. I ultimately would like to have
    an MCSA.

    1) If I pass the Microsoft Exam 70-290 (Managing and Maintaining a
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment), will I become an MCP?

    2) If I then pass the Microsoft Exam 70-291 (Implementing, Managing,
    and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure)
    and the Microsoft Exam 70-270 (Installing, Configuring, and
    Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional) will I become an MCSA
    because I have passed the above 3 tests and already have the A+ and
    Network+ as an elective?

    3) Is there any time limit? By which I mean: I did the A+ and Network+
    in 2005 and I plan to do the Microsoft Exam 70-290 but I may not have
    time to do the other 2 Microsoft Exams until 2007. Is there any problem
    with this timeframe?

    and finally...
    4) Do I simply work through these courses and then at the end apply for
    an MCSA Certificate, or do I need to state my intentions to anyone from
    the start?

    Thanks for any help,

    Chobbney

    , May 15, 2006

  2. Yes, MCP is a stepping stone (or can be a final destination) for the MCSA.
    With your first exam you achieve the MCP. From there you can take any
    direction you want with your certifications. No need to inform anyone of
    what you are doing, so long as you have a plan and a goal. :)

    The only time limit is that you have to complete all of the exams in a
    certification path prior to them retiring. We post the retiring exams on the
    public web site and give a year prior to retiring them.

    --
    Andy Ruth
    Program Manager for the Microsoft Certified Architect program

    rights.

    Andy Ruth [MSFT], May 15, 2006

  3. Guest

    Andy,

    Thanks for the reply - that was most helpful. I have also been looking
    at doing to 70-270 prior to the 70-290 (I've read it's slightly easier
    and is a good guide to the type of questions that Microsoft ask). Am I
    right in assuming that the 70-270 alone would not be enough for a MCP?

    Chobbney

    , May 16, 2006
  4. Nope, that is not correct. Passing 270, or any other MS exam for that
    matter, is all you need to do in order to be a MCP.
    --
    John Strohecker, MCSE

    John Strohecker, May 16, 2006
  5. Guest

    Excellent.

    Thanks.

    , May 16, 2006
  6. Garth H Guest

    Yes, but only SLIGHTLY easier. You still need to know Group Policies,
    Shares, Permissions, File Security, et al.

    --
    Garth H

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Macromedia Certified Developer

    Garth H, May 16, 2006
  7. Guest

    I have experience in those things, but I guess I'll find out just how
    much very soon. :)

    Also, I might be being dumb here, but looking at this page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/ I don't have to
    do an Upgrade exam do I? That is just for people with MCSA for Windows
    2000 and want to get the MSCA for Windows 2003, isn't it? It's just
    with it saying 'one exam required'.

    , May 17, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > Andy,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply - that was most helpful. I have also been looking
    > at doing to 70-270 prior to the 70-290 (I've read it's slightly easier
    > and is a good guide to the type of questions that Microsoft ask). Am I
    > right in assuming that the 70-270 alone would not be enough for a MCP?
    >
    > Chobbney

    I find it all depends on your experience. I've had more 2003 than XP
    experience and found 290 somewhat easier. 270 does cover more topics
    than 290 does. The networking questions are easier than the 290 though.

    Jeroen
    http://wijnands.blogspot.com

    Jeroen Wijnands, May 17, 2006