    Unfortunately, this ended up writing the IPTC data of the first file to
    all the others.

    - Barry
    Barry L. Wallis, Jul 7, 2007

  2. Barry L. Wallis

    N Guest

    "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in message
    news:KKUji.334$...
    : Here is the problem: Nikon Capture NX writes IPTC data in some way
    that
    : after it is saved to a JPEG, Picasa and Flickr cannot read it.
    However,
    : if I go into irfanview I can read the IPTC data then if I use
    irfanview
    : to write it back (without changing anything), Picasa and Flickr can
    both
    : see the IPTC data.
    :
    : I cannot find a way to use irfanview's batch mode to do this to a
    group
    : of files at one time. I tried using irfanview batch mode to convert
    the
    : files with no luck. I also tried using thumbnail mode, picking all
    the
    : photos and doing the JPG Lossless function to write the IPTC data.
    : Unfortunately, this ended up writing the IPTC data of the first file
    : all the others.
    :
    : Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    :
    : --
    : - Barry

    What happens if you use Irfanview to resize the images, saving to a
    new location?
    N, Jul 8, 2007

  3. N wrote:
    > "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in message
    > : Here is the problem: Nikon Capture NX writes IPTC data in some way
    > that
    > : after it is saved to a JPEG, Picasa and Flickr cannot read it.
    > However,
    > : if I go into irfanview I can read the IPTC data then if I use
    > irfanview
    > : to write it back (without changing anything), Picasa and Flickr can
    > both
    > : see the IPTC data.
    > :
    > : I cannot find a way to use irfanview's batch mode to do this to a
    > group
    > : of files at one time. I tried using irfanview batch mode to convert
    > the
    > : files with no luck. I also tried using thumbnail mode, picking all
    > the
    > : photos and doing the JPG Lossless function to write the IPTC data.
    > : Unfortunately, this ended up writing the IPTC data of the first file
    > : all the others.
    > :
    > : Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    > :
    > : --
    > : - Barry
    >
    > What happens if you use Irfanview to resize the images, saving to a
    > new location?

    I tried this by resizing the images by 90% in each dimension. The
    original format IPTC data is preserved. In other words, no joy in Picasa
    or Flickr but I can still see the IPTC data in irfanview (and it shows
    up if I rewrite it with irfanview).

    Thanks for trying. Any other ideas?

    --
    - Barry
    Barry L. Wallis, Jul 8, 2007
  4. "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in message

    > Here is the problem: Nikon Capture NX writes IPTC data in some way that
    > after it is saved to a JPEG, Picasa and Flickr cannot read it.

    This seems odd as I have just done a quick test. I have never used
    Capture's IPTC tagging feature before so I took a random original NEF and
    added "test caption" under caption, "headline" under headline, and "my key"
    under keywords, then hit update to write the data to the NEF. I then
    resized the NEF to 800 x 532 pixels and saved as a jpg file which I uploaded
    to flickr.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/boliston/753434449/

    flickr has picked up all the IPTC data with no trouble at all as you can
    see...

    cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk
    Adrian Boliston, Jul 8, 2007
  5. Adrian Boliston wrote:
    > "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Here is the problem: Nikon Capture NX writes IPTC data in some way that
    >> after it is saved to a JPEG, Picasa and Flickr cannot read it.

    > flickr has picked up all the IPTC data with no trouble at all as you can
    > see...

    You are correct. My original testing was inadequate. Here is what I know:

    1) Exporting from NEF to JPEG via Capture NX and uploading to Flickr:
    So long as you don't resize the photo or add your own tags, Flickr will
    see the IPTC data. Object Name (sometimes called Title) will be the
    title and Caption will be the description.

    2) Executing step 1 and viewing in Picasa:
    IPTC data cannot be seen. Putting a caption or keywords in using Picasa,
    the caption and keywords can be seen in Picasa but the IPTC data cannot
    be seen and is unchanged.

    3) Rewriting IPTC data in JPEG from step 2 via irfanview's JPG Lossless
    Operations and viewing in Picasa:
    Caption and keywords added in Picasa are replaced with rewritten IPTC
    data from JPEG. All other IPTC data is untouched (e.g., Caption field is
    replaced Object Name field is untouched).

    4) Using irfanview to copy the file in step 1 changing JPEG quality or
    size (to force a rewrite rather than a copy) and viewing in Picasa:
    Same results as original export in step 2.

    It looks like Picasa is still a problem and I still cannot figure out
    how to use batch mode to rewrite the IPTC data to each file for a group
    of files. Also, since Picasa uses the IPTC Caption field to name the
    photos, I need to find a way to copy the Caption field to the Object
    Name field and delete the Caption field for photos I will be uploading
    to Flickr (I have Exifer but cannot figure out how to do that in batch
    mode).

    --
    - Barry
    Barry L. Wallis, Jul 9, 2007
  6. "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in message

    > 1) Exporting from NEF to JPEG via Capture NX and uploading to Flickr:
    > So long as you don't resize the photo or add your own tags, Flickr will
    > see the IPTC data. Object Name (sometimes called Title) will be the title
    > and Caption will be the description.

    The photo I uploaded had been resized in capture nx from the original raw
    size of approx 3000 pixels wide to a web-sized 800 pixel wide and flickr had
    no problems reading the IPTC Data.

    > 2) Executing step 1 and viewing in Picasa:
    > IPTC data cannot be seen. Putting a caption or keywords in using Picasa,
    > the caption and keywords can be seen in Picasa but the IPTC data cannot be
    > seen and is unchanged.

    I can confirm that - just uploaded the same file to picasa

    http://picasaweb.google.com/boliston/AdrianSAlbum/photo#5085253423621962914

    and it totally failed to read any IPTC data! Not only that it also failed
    to even read the ISO setting from the exif, and only managed to read other
    basic settings like aperture & shutter speed. In comparison Flickr manages
    to extract just about every single bit of data, including the total number
    of shutter releases for my camera!

    cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk
    Adrian Boliston, Jul 9, 2007
  7. Adrian Boliston wrote:
    > "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> 1) Exporting from NEF to JPEG via Capture NX and uploading to Flickr:
    >> So long as you don't resize the photo or add your own tags, Flickr will
    >> see the IPTC data. Object Name (sometimes called Title) will be the title
    >> and Caption will be the description.

    > The photo I uploaded had been resized in capture nx from the original raw
    > size of approx 3000 pixels wide to a web-sized 800 pixel wide and flickr had
    > no problems reading the IPTC Data.

    My poor description. What I meant was so long as you don't let the
    Flickr Uploadr resize your picture or add tags using Flickr Uploadr.

    >> 2) Executing step 1 and viewing in Picasa:
    >> IPTC data cannot be seen. Putting a caption or keywords in using Picasa,
    >> the caption and keywords can be seen in Picasa but the IPTC data cannot be
    >> seen and is unchanged.

    > I can confirm that - just uploaded the same file to picasa

    Thanks for your help Adrian. It looks like there may not be an automated
    solution to my problem (a shame since I use picasaweb for my albums).

    --
    - Barry
    Barry L. Wallis, Jul 10, 2007