    so can i use eyeglass cleaners and cloth??? ,,,,like the lenscrafter
    eyeglass cleaners.
    , Aug 18, 2006

  2. Joan Guest

    Surely you wash your glasses under running water so you're not rubbing
    the dirt in?

    --
    Joan

    <> wrote in message
    :i feel so newbie asking this.
    :
    : at first i thought why not, but then i got to thinking that camera
    : optics may actually require more care. my glasses get sctratched
    : eventually, but i don't know if that's because of the cleaning
    solution
    : or just dust settling and getting rubbed into the lenses over time.
    you
    : have to clean glasses every day, but camera lenses don't require any
    : attention after you put on a filter.
    :
    Joan, Aug 18, 2006

  3. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >i feel so newbie asking this.
    >
    > at first i thought why not, but then i got to thinking that camera
    > optics may actually require more care. my glasses get sctratched
    > eventually, but i don't know if that's because of the cleaning solution
    > or just dust settling and getting rubbed into the lenses over time. you
    > have to clean glasses every day, but camera lenses don't require any
    > attention after you put on a filter.
    >
    > so can i use eyeglass cleaners and cloth??? ,,,,like the lenscrafter
    > eyeglass cleaners.

    NO. NO. NO

    There are special Camera Lens cleaning solutions, and equipment.

    Spectacle lenses will be replaced every 2 years or so.

    When did you last pay £500 or $1000 for 1 Spectacle Lens. That fact alone
    should engender a little bit more care.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Aug 18, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > i feel so newbie asking this.
    >
    > at first i thought why not, but then i got to thinking that camera
    > optics may actually require more care. my glasses get sctratched
    > eventually, but i don't know if that's because of the cleaning
    > solution or just dust settling and getting rubbed into the lenses
    > over time. you have to clean glasses every day, but camera lenses
    > don't require any attention after you put on a filter.
    >
    > so can i use eyeglass cleaners and cloth??? ,,,,like the lenscrafter
    > eyeglass cleaners.

    Sure you can use it. No one will arrest you for doing it, but keep in
    mind that eyeglasses and camera glass is not made the same and has different
    coatings on it. The eyeglass manufacturers know people will clean them off
    on their blue jeans so they take that into account. The camera lens
    manufacturers do not.

    I normally do not recommend the use of filters to "protect" a lens, but
    if you are in a situation where you need to clean your lens often or if you
    just like cleaning it, then I suggest a UV or plain glass "filter" may be a
    good idea so you can clean it and throw it away from time to time.

    While a small chip on the front of a lens will generally not do any
    noticeable damage to the images produced, the many small scratches from
    miss-cleaning can.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Aug 18, 2006
  5. Guest

    Joan wrote:
    > Surely you wash your glasses under running water so you're not rubbing
    > the dirt in?

    joan :):):),,,i don't know anybody so anal as to put their glasses
    under running h2o before cleaning them. normal folk take off their
    glasses, pull out a hanky, and wipe.
    , Aug 18, 2006
  6. Bert Hyman Guest

    () wrote in
    > Joan wrote:
    >> Surely you wash your glasses under running water so you're not
    >> rubbing the dirt in?

    > joan :):):),,,i don't know anybody so anal as to put their glasses
    > under running h2o before cleaning them.

    Then you must not know anyone who has plastic lenses in their eye
    glasses.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Aug 18, 2006
  7. Guest

    all my friends do,,,but they don't run their glasses under water.

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > Then you must not know anyone who has plastic lenses in their eye
    > glasses.
    >
    > --
    > Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    , Aug 18, 2006
  8. Cynicor Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > () wrote in
    >> Joan wrote:
    >>> Surely you wash your glasses under running water so you're not
    >>> rubbing the dirt in?

    >> joan :):):),,,i don't know anybody so anal as to put their glasses
    >> under running h2o before cleaning them.

    > Then you must not know anyone who has plastic lenses in their eye
    > glasses.

    ?? You don't just take them off and lick them the way the rest of us do?
    Cynicor, Aug 18, 2006
  9. wrote:
    >Joan wrote:
    >> Surely you wash your glasses under running water so you're not rubbing
    >> the dirt in?

    >joan :):):),,,i don't know anybody so anal as to put their glasses
    >under running h2o before cleaning them. normal folk take off their
    >glasses, pull out a hanky, and wipe.

    Talk to virtually *any* professional that deals with eye
    glasses, and they will tell you that is the absolute *worst*
    thing you can do!

    *NEVER* clean you eyeglasses when the lenses are dry. Running
    water is best, but the absolute minimum is to at least get them
    "wet", with something (I tend to use isopropyl alchohol just as
    often as water).

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Aug 18, 2006
  10. Bert Hyman Guest

    () wrote in

    > all my friends do,,,but they don't run their glasses under water.

    If I don't have a bottle of lens cleaner handy, I certainly do.

    Trying to clean plastic lenses with a dry cloth, especially with a
    handkerchief you've been carrying in your pocket, is a really bad
    idea.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Aug 18, 2006
  11. wrote:
    >all my friends do,,,but they don't run their glasses under water.

    I'll bet dollars to donuts that you are *wrong*.

    Cleaning plastic lenses when they are dry is a guaranteed way to
    ensure a need for new lenses within a few months rather than
    years.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
    Floyd L. Davidson, Aug 18, 2006
  12. Philippe Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>all my friends do,,,but they don't run their glasses under water.

    > I'll bet dollars to donuts that you are *wrong*.
    >
    > Cleaning plastic lenses when they are dry is a guaranteed way to
    > ensure a need for new lenses within a few months rather than
    > years.

    most people usually fog them up prior to wiping (Hhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahhhhh)

    :p
    P.

    --
    I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)
    Philippe, Aug 18, 2006
  13. <> wrote in message
    > all my friends do,,,but they don't run their glasses under water.

    When sailing in salt water, I lick them clean before drying of with a
    microfiber cloth. My spectacles that is, not my camera lenses ;-).

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, Aug 18, 2006
  14. Guest

    Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    > Cleaning plastic lenses when they are dry is a guaranteed way to
    > ensure a need for new lenses within a few months rather than
    > years.

    that's ok. my eyes need new glasses every 6 months from me spending too
    much time on mesage boards.
    , Aug 18, 2006
  15. ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:52:48 -0400, Cynicor wrote:

    >> Then you must not know anyone who has plastic lenses in their eye
    >> glasses.

    > ?? You don't just take them off and lick them the way the rest of us do?

    You must wear Timex wristwatches too!
    ASAAR, Aug 18, 2006
  16. Daryl Bryant Guest

    Why not?!?? - saline solution is filtered, sterile and contains sodium
    chloride i.e. in my opinion is a great lens cleaner!!!

    Is also cheaper if you purchase by the pint!!!

    --
    Bing Bang Boom Viola Done!

    Daryl Bryant, Aug 18, 2006
  17. Daryl Bryant Guest

    "Roy G" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    > >i feel so newbie asking this.
    > >
    > > at first i thought why not, but then i got to thinking that camera
    > > optics may actually require more care. my glasses get sctratched
    > > eventually, but i don't know if that's because of the cleaning solution
    > > or just dust settling and getting rubbed into the lenses over time. you
    > > have to clean glasses every day, but camera lenses don't require any
    > > attention after you put on a filter.
    > >
    > > so can i use eyeglass cleaners and cloth??? ,,,,like the lenscrafter
    > > eyeglass cleaners.

    > NO. NO. NO

    yer on crack!! <grin>
    Daryl Bryant, Aug 18, 2006
  18. Daryl Bryant wrote:
    > Why not?!?? - saline solution is filtered, sterile and contains sodium
    > chloride i.e. in my opinion is a great lens cleaner!!!
    >
    > Is also cheaper if you purchase by the pint!!!

    I don't believe that saline solutions are recommended for cleaning
    eyeglasses. They are recommended for cleaning eyes.

    A saline solution is a salt solution. The salt would add nothing I know
    of to the cleaning properties and would leave salt deposits on the lens.
    Salt, if it got into the metal parts, would cause corrosion. That would be
    a very poor cleaner for eye glasses or lenses.

    I suppose you really intended to say eyeglass cleaning solutions. The
    problem there are that there is no standard solution. there may be a hundred
    different solutions available. It is not likely that they all would be good
    for camera lenses, and I would guess some would be good. Why take the
    chance when lens cleaner is cheap. On bottle of the stuff should last for
    years, unless you have very difficult environments you are using the lens in
    or you are over cleaning the lenses and are likely to damage them from that.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Aug 19, 2006
  19. Frank ess Guest

    Philippe wrote:
    > Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> all my friends do,,,but they don't run their glasses under water.

    >> I'll bet dollars to donuts that you are *wrong*.
    >>
    >> Cleaning plastic lenses when they are dry is a guaranteed way to
    >> ensure a need for new lenses within a few months rather than
    >> years.
    >>

    > most people usually fog them up prior to wiping
    > (Hhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahhhhh)

    > P.

    Here we go again! with the "normals", the "mosts", all the words
    designed to shore up our intuitive positions.

    I keep hearing this is a "technical" group; don't you reckon it
    deserves more explicit language, or at least a little foot-noting of
    references?

    For me it's easy to assert: "All _my_ friends rinse their eye-glasses
    in warm running water before using dishwashing liquid on them. He
    almost never needs to dry them, because the lenses' surface treatment
    keeps them so slick the water runs right off them with a quick shake
    and blow."

    "Most people" means half of everyone, plus one. How do you know?

    You can use eyegless cleaner on your lenses, but with normal attention
    and care (!) Philippe's aspirate and a good lens tissue or microfibre
    cloth should suffice. In extreme instances, Residual Oil Remover works
    well.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Aug 19, 2006
  20. Pat Guest

    None of friends wear plasic lenses, they all went over the border and
    had Lasiks. Much better solution, all around. Mine was 4 years ago.
    Absolutely wonderful. Plus, enough drugs to keep you calm while
    they're cutting (almost) off the front of your eye and reshaping it
    with a laser.

    P.S. Smells like burning hair !!!

    Pat, Aug 19, 2006