    recommend a decent webcam, I'm looking to pay up to £90, by the way I live
    in the UK if that makes a difference in products.

    Regards
    Helpneeded, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Helpneeded

    Slacker Guest

    Helpneeded wrote:

    > As the subject line says.
    >
    > Basically someone's been messing about with my car by my house, so I've been
    > thinking about purchasing a webcam to monitor it, I would have bought a
    > proper security system but I wanted a webcam any way for other use as well.
    >
    > So is it possible to use a Web Cam for this purpose and if so could you
    > recommend a decent webcam, I'm looking to pay up to £90, by the way I live
    > in the UK if that makes a difference in products.
    >
    > Regards

    Why not just call her and apologize ;-)

    --
    Slacker
    Slacker, Jul 29, 2004

  3. Helpneeded

    trout Guest

    Helpneeded wrote:

    > As the subject line says.
    >
    > Basically someone's been messing about with my car by my house, so
    > I've been thinking about purchasing a webcam to monitor it, I would
    > have bought a proper security system but I wanted a webcam any way
    > for other use as well.
    >
    > So is it possible to use a Web Cam for this purpose and if so could
    > you recommend a decent webcam, I'm looking to pay up to £90, by the
    > way I live in the UK if that makes a difference in products.
    >
    > Regards

    In short; the non-authoritative answer is 'yes'. But you'll have to
    (short of an exact, definitive answer) go shopping.
    You'll need to look at picture resolution (sharp enough to catch the
    villain in the act, and use as evidence, I presume). Assuming that no
    special circumstances pertain (the camera is not too far away, and the
    area is well-lit), you shouldn't have to pay a lot for a decent
    low/mid-range camera.
    The careful shopping should look at the accompanying software. Are
    you looking for continuous recording for long periods in your absence
    (do you have enough space on your drive)? Or intermittent 'snapshots' at
    an interval you can determine? Is there enough of a nagging problem that
    you might be convinced of frilly extras such as motion-activation?
    Just be sure that you know what requirements that you *need* to make
    it worthwhile to you. The sum that you mentioned is enough for a
    salesperson to *want* to give you the system you need. Compare, express
    any doubts; ask questions. You should be able to get what you want from
    a number of retail outlets. If you're not 'sold'; don't buy it. Go to
    the next place.
    --
    "Better shop around."
    trout, Jul 29, 2004
  4. Helpneeded

    ProfGene Guest

    I don't now if they have a UK branch but there is a web based company that
    you can find a site for called x10 which sells all sorts of systems for
    computer monitoring even when you are not at home. They have cams that can
    rotate via remote control and multi-cam systems within a reasonable price
    range.

    ProfGene, Jul 29, 2004
  5. Helpneeded

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You can use it but you won't see anything at night. Click on my demo link
    below, cameras 9-12 are day/nite cameras they are color during the day and
    turn B&W at nite for better picture quality.

    pcbutts1, Jul 30, 2004
  6. Helpneeded

    Not Me Guest

    X10 was a bit time spammer and other nefarious tricks. I think their out of
    busienss.

    Not Me, Jul 30, 2004
  7. Helpneeded

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Correction, cameras 2,3,4 and 12.

    pcbutts1, Jul 31, 2004
  8. Helpneeded

    Helpneeded Guest

    What camera are you using, is it a webcam?

    http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm

    Helpneeded, Jul 31, 2004
  9. Helpneeded

    pcbutts1 Guest

    No those are not webcams, webcams will not work in that situation. Those
    cameras are made by Hunt http://www.huntcctv.com/.

    pcbutts1, Jul 31, 2004