    I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
    Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Brett Cooper

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Brett Cooper" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
    > Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?

    Google is your friend - it took me about 15 seconds to answer this for you -
    including the time to scan the page for a relevant comparision table.

    The only *real* difference is the cable quality and of course the amount of
    cash the person selling it to you wants to extract from your wallet.

    http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.asp

    The Hobbit, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Brett Cooper

    EMB Guest

    In news:,
    Brett Cooper <> expelled:
    > I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work
    > with a Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
    >
    > Brett

    It'll work fine - as a general rule any higher category of cable than the
    minimum required will work perfectly.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Brett Cooper

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:33:10 +1200, "EMB" <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Brett Cooper <> expelled:
    >> I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work
    >> with a Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
    >>
    >> Brett

    >It'll work fine - as a general rule any higher category of cable than the
    >minimum required will work perfectly.

    Sweet, thanks

    Brett Cooper, Jun 29, 2004
  5. Brett Cooper

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:32:15 +1200, "The Hobbit"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brett Cooper" <> wrote in message
    >> I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
    >> Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
    >>

    >Google is your friend - it took me about 15 seconds to answer this for you -
    >including the time to scan the page for a relevant comparision table.
    >
    >The only *real* difference is the cable quality and of course the amount of
    >cash the person selling it to you wants to extract from your wallet.
    >
    >http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.asp

    I love google also but had trouble as I didn't know what I was looking for.

    Thanks for the great link, all is now clear.

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jun 29, 2004
  6. Brett Cooper

    thing Guest

    Brett Cooper wrote:
    > I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
    > Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
    >
    > Brett

    should be fine

    Thing

    thing, Jun 29, 2004
  7. Brett Cooper

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:45:00 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >Brett Cooper wrote:
    >> I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
    >> Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
    >>
    >> Brett

    >should be fine
    >
    >Thing

    thanks, i can now get a new cable with the thought of upgrading to a
    10/100/1000 with out have a complex.

    thanks
    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jun 29, 2004
  8. Brett Cooper

    Steve Guest

    Brett Cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:45:00 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>Brett Cooper wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have two 10/100 network cards and was wondering if it will work with a
    >>>Cat 6 cable? Or are the wires too different?
    >>>
    >>>Brett

    >>should be fine
    >>
    >>Thing

    > thanks, i can now get a new cable with the thought of upgrading to a
    > 10/100/1000 with out have a complex.
    >
    > thanks
    > Brett

    ....don't think you need Cat 6 for that.

    Steve

    Steve, Jun 30, 2004
  9. Brett Cooper

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:44:17 +1200, Steve <> wrote:

    >Brett Cooper wrote:

    >>>should be fine
    >>>
    >>>Thing

    >> thanks, i can now get a new cable with the thought of upgrading to a
    >> 10/100/1000 with out have a complex.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> Brett
    >>

    >...don't think you need Cat 6 for that.
    >
    >Steve

    I have the new cable, got a 10m cat6 from dse and it replaces my old 5m+1m
    cable. The speed difference is not much different, but it i think it is
    different. I'm looking at getting a couple of giga-network cards before
    x-mas so I now have the cable ready.

    Does anyone know of a good place to buy cheap giga-network cards?

    Or have I headed off in the wrong direction and should be thinking firewire
    networks?

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jul 1, 2004
  10. Brett Cooper wrote:
    > I'm looking at getting a couple of giga-network cards before
    > x-mas so I now have the cable ready.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a good place to buy cheap giga-network cards?

    assuming that your going to use PCI card, don't expect much of an
    increase in speed.
    You'll be limited by the PCI bus.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 1, 2004
  11. Brett Cooper

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:10:33 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >Brett Cooper wrote:
    >> I'm looking at getting a couple of giga-network cards before
    >> x-mas so I now have the cable ready.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a good place to buy cheap giga-network cards?

    >assuming that your going to use PCI card, don't expect much of an
    >increase in speed.
    >You'll be limited by the PCI bus.

    Would I be better at looking at a firewire solution?
    The files that normally travel over the network are 3 to 5 1gigabyte files.

    Thanks for the reply, I was wondering what the diff was with the 33 and
    66mhz differences.

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jul 2, 2004
  12. Brett Cooper wrote:
    >>assuming that your going to use PCI card, don't expect much of an
    >>increase in speed.
    >>You'll be limited by the PCI bus.

    > Would I be better at looking at a firewire solution?
    > The files that normally travel over the network are 3 to 5 1gigabyte files.

    Dunno, but if it was an add in card(as in PCI), then it too would be
    limited by the PCI bus(133MBytes/sec assuming complete saturation)... in
    saying that, you'll be limited by the write speed(and read speed at the
    other end) of your Hdd anyway.

    > Thanks for the reply, I was wondering what the diff was with the 33 and
    > 66mhz differences.

    potentially, double the speed... a 66mhz PCI bus will give you
    ~267Mbytes/sec

    You'll find that the motherboards with built in Gig eth usually have
    some other sort of bus to attach it to the PC to give better performance.
    someone correct me if Im wrong.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 2, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Would I be better at looking at a firewire solution?
    >> The files that normally travel over the network are 3 to 5 1gigabyte
    >> files.

    > Dunno, but if it was an add in card(as in PCI), then it too would be
    > limited by the PCI bus(133MBytes/sec assuming complete saturation)... in
    > saying that, you'll be limited by the write speed(and read speed at the
    > other end) of your Hdd anyway.

    just to expand a little.
    it will take out one of the bottle necks, not necessarily the
    smallest/tightest one, but one of them none the less.

    Will it be faster than 100MBit?
    no idea, I know that the onboard Gig-eth we use in some portions of work
    is faster, but only where transferring big files(>1Gbyte), smaller files
    where either no difference, or slower, usually slower, but nothing to
    overly worry about.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 2, 2004
  14. On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:12:40 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> Would I be better at looking at a firewire solution?
    >>> The files that normally travel over the network are 3 to 5 1gigabyte
    >>> files.

    >> Dunno, but if it was an add in card(as in PCI), then it too would be
    >> limited by the PCI bus(133MBytes/sec assuming complete saturation)... in
    >> saying that, you'll be limited by the write speed(and read speed at the
    >> other end) of your Hdd anyway.

    >just to expand a little.
    >it will take out one of the bottle necks, not necessarily the
    >smallest/tightest one, but one of them none the less.
    >
    >Will it be faster than 100MBit?
    >no idea, I know that the onboard Gig-eth we use in some portions of work
    >is faster, but only where transferring big files(>1Gbyte), smaller files
    >where either no difference, or slower, usually slower, but nothing to
    >overly worry about.

    I have gigabit ethernet connection between my two PCs with PCI cards.
    It is certainly faster than 100 Mbit cards, but nothing like 10 times
    faster. It is definintely limited by the PCI bus, and is slower than
    hard disk speed (I have fast hard disks). It helps to enable jumbo
    packets (>= 8000 bytes), as the interpacket gaps cause a lot of
    overhead for the smaller packets normally used on ethernet. The gaps
    are apparently not much smaller than on 100 Mbit ethernet, so are
    nearly 10 times as long in number of bits wasted.

    You can get quite cheap gigabit cards from Dick Smith now - others
    will surely be matching those prices too.

    Stephen Worthington, Jul 2, 2004
  15. Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > It helps to enable jumbo
    > packets (>= 8000 bytes), as the interpacket gaps cause a lot of
    > overhead for the smaller packets normally used on ethernet.

    I havent got round to playing with this at work yet, at the moment we
    only have 22(full switch{the backup has dual, and one port for uplink})
    machines running on GB gear, but might trial it on one of the less
    critical machines

    > You can get quite cheap gigabit cards from Dick Smith now - others
    > will surely be matching those prices too.

    indeed.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 4, 2004
  16. Brett Cooper

    luohao