    I want to add a Dlink wireless 4 port router to get wireless access, and
    this router doesn't have an Uplink port, but the Linksys does, as does the
    hub. ???
    02befree, Feb 21, 2006

  2. Because the Linksys and Dlink routers are switches and not hubs, you don't
    need an uplink port. Just plug your ethernet cable into any port on both
    routers (except WAN).

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=, Feb 21, 2006

  3. 02befree

    02befree Guest

    Still not sure what the uplink port is for or when to use it.?

    02befree, Feb 22, 2006
  4. 02befree

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    You do not need an Uplink port in order to connect two hubs or switches, by
    choosing the right type of CAT5e cable you can connect any compatible ports.

    Here how, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#crossover

    However, connecting two Routers in order to take advantage of the extra
    Switch's ports is more than just having a cable. Since Routers might be
    configured with different IP addresses, and contain LAN Devices like DHCP
    Server, you have to configure the Routers as well.

    This page describes the principle, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 22, 2006
  5. 02befree

    02befree Guest

    This says port to port needs a crossover. ???
    First Step: Plug a single computer to the second Router (make sure that
    the computer is configured to obtain DHCP automatically from the Router),
    change the IP address of the Router so that it's in the same subnet as the
    main Router (the one that is connected to the Internet Modem); give it an IP
    that doesn't conflict with the main router's base IP address, or the DHCP
    server range. This will ensure that you can reach the admin server of the
    old router from any LAN machine, and that the Wireless Clients IPs are
    assigned correctly.

    Example:

    - Main Router's base address is 192.168.1.1, with a DHCP server range of
    192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150

    - Set the Cable/DSL Router to (the one you're using as an Access Point) base
    address to any IP address between 192.168.1.151 to 192.168.1.250

    Second Step: Switch Off the DHCP on the Wireless Cable/DSL Router, and set
    to Off any filters or special settings that is On if it is used as the main
    Router.

    Plug the Wireless Router to the main Router. Regular Port to Regular Port,
    using crossover cable (or straight patch if one port is an Uplink).

    02befree, Feb 22, 2006