    Will i encounter any other problems?

    TIA

    Real butta lahk me mutha yoost ta mek.
    picker, Jan 7, 2004

  2. picker

    George Guest

    I upgraded from 800MHz Intel to 2.6GHz Intel and kept Win98SE. I believe
    that ME is so close to Win98SE that you wouldn't have a problem in the
    Intel-realm...so, probably none with AMD either.

    George, Jan 7, 2004

  3. picker

    picker Guest

    Thanks George!

    picker, Jan 8, 2004
  4. picker

    JTJersey Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:03:42 +0000, picker wrote:

    > Hi, Maplin are selling a motherboard+2600 processor+ fan very cheap.
    >
    > I have a 900 amd at present running ME i want to keep ME - so, if i
    > change all the above mentioned articles do i have to upgrade to XP? Will
    > i encounter any other problems?
    >
    > TIA

    Upgrading to XP may not be your problem. You have an intact Windows ME
    operating system waking up to a completely different mainboard with all
    new chipsets and all of your hardware attached to different ports. It may
    or may not upgrade the myriad device drivers that it will find at first
    boot and if your system is a factory built affair you may have difficulty
    finding all of the drivers needed for your current hardware that Windows
    will be asking for. That being said, I've generally had pretty good
    success with this sort of conversion. By the way, have you considered the
    need to buy new RAM in your overall purchase price? Best of luck to you.
    ---
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Jan 8, 2004
  5. picker

    Plato Guest

    picker wrote:

    > Hi, Maplin are selling a motherboard+2600 processor+ fan very cheap.
    >
    > I have a 900 amd at present running ME i want to keep ME - so, if i change
    > all the above mentioned articles do i have to upgrade to XP?
    > Will i encounter any other problems?

    It's mostly the other way around eg when you upgrade your OS often you
    have to upgrade your hardware. Putting an older OS on a 2600 will only
    make your OS and apps run way faster. Good luck with that 5 second boot
    time you'll see.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 8, 2004
  6. picker

    George Guest

    One other thing that might be worth mentioning...when I did my upgrade,
    before shutting down the system prior to the upgrade, I went into the device
    manager and removed the drivers for everything that was changing in my PC.
    My rationale was that I'd rather have Windows "finding new hardware" and
    crashing. Seemed to work rather well.

    Good luck.

    George, Jan 12, 2004