Can I turn off the info when viewing pics on camera / TV? Nikon coolpics

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Would anyone know if there is a way to turn off all of the info that pops up
    when viewing the pictures on the camera monitor or on the TV? I may not be
    asking this right (New to this camera AND newsgroup stuff). When I playback
    / view the pics I get stuff that says Nikon and the picture #, battery level
    (?), the date and time the picture was taken etc blocking a lot of the
    picture. A lot of times this info is right on the part of the picture I want
    to see. Also - it takes away from letting my family and friends view the
    picture as I took it when I show them on the TV to everyone. It's also a
    pain when viewing on the camera monitor as I can't tell if the picture is
    good or should be deleted and try again. I read the manual - came up empty.

    Thanks!

    Jim / NJ

    PS- Will the picture #'s ever start again at zero too? It's up into the
    hundreds but I downloaded all images and wiped the card (Or so I thought).
    When I viewed last on the TV - there were only about 15 recent shots.

    Jim, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Jim

    Dirk Guest

    My Nikon 8700 has a button marked "display." Pushing it hides all the
    information and just shows the image.

    Mark

    Dirk, Oct 12, 2004

  3. Jim wrote:
    > Would anyone know if there is a way to turn off all of the info that pops
    > up
    > when viewing the pictures on the camera monitor or on the TV? I may not be
    > asking this right (New to this camera AND newsgroup stuff). When I
    > playback
    > / view the pics I get stuff that says Nikon and the picture #, battery
    > level
    > (?), the date and time the picture was taken etc blocking a lot of the
    > picture. A lot of times this info is right on the part of the picture I
    > want
    > to see. Also - it takes away from letting my family and friends view the
    > picture as I took it when I show them on the TV to everyone. It's also a
    > pain when viewing on the camera monitor as I can't tell if the picture is
    > good or should be deleted and try again. I read the manual - came up
    > empty.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jim / NJ
    >
    > PS- Will the picture #'s ever start again at zero too? It's up into the
    > hundreds but I downloaded all images and wiped the card (Or so I thought).
    > When I viewed last on the TV - there were only about 15 recent shots.

    It might help if you tell us what camera you are using.

    --

    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Jim

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:51:26 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
    <jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:

    >picture as I took it when I show them on the TV to everyone. It's also a
    >pain when viewing on the camera monitor as I can't tell if the picture is
    >good or should be deleted and try again. I read the manual - came up empty.

    There is a display button which toggles this info displayed on/off.

    >PS- Will the picture #'s ever start again at zero too? It's up into the
    >hundreds but I downloaded all images and wiped the card (Or so I thought).
    >When I viewed last on the TV - there were only about 15 recent shots.

    There should be a setup menu item to allow you to either have the photos
    incrementally increase, remembering what the last on the card was, or to
    reset every time the images on the card are deleted.

    If you'd tell us what model it was we might be able to provide more
    detailed answers.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Oct 12, 2004
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Reply at bottom. A friend said that's where they should go. true?

    "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:51:26 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
    > <jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:
    >
    > >picture as I took it when I show them on the TV to everyone. It's also a
    > >pain when viewing on the camera monitor as I can't tell if the picture is
    > >good or should be deleted and try again. I read the manual - came up

    empty.

    > There is a display button which toggles this info displayed on/off.
    >
    > >PS- Will the picture #'s ever start again at zero too? It's up into the
    > >hundreds but I downloaded all images and wiped the card (Or so I

    thought).
    > >When I viewed last on the TV - there were only about 15 recent shots.

    > There should be a setup menu item to allow you to either have the photos
    > incrementally increase, remembering what the last on the card was, or to
    > reset every time the images on the card are deleted.
    >
    > If you'd tell us what model it was we might be able to provide more
    > detailed answers.
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Thanks for the replies and sorry to forget the model. I put Nikon coolpics
    but I guess that's like saying Chevy and it could be any model. Again, I am
    new to both groups and digital cameras and sometimes feel too old to learn
    but really want to understand. It's a Nikon coolpics 3200 and THANKS to all
    who replied.

    I figured out how to turn off the info stuff I was seeing on the screen and
    TV - THANKS!! It worked like a charm. Owners manual had a blip about it too
    but not where I thought it would be. Each night I RE-read the manual - a few
    pages at a time. I need to watch the CD and read the online manual too I
    found. I transferred the pictures last night (first time for me) and I ended
    up with hundreds (Only 40 were on camera) in several spots like picture
    perfect (?) and in the my pictures folder - all in 3 MP so took a lot of
    space I'm sure. Need to learn how to do this right.
    I also need to learn how to only transfer / download the pictures I want -
    not all. There's about 25 on the card we want to keep on there to show
    people. They download every time too. Just want to save them on the card.
    I also need to learn how to shrink the size for Emailing. I sent a couple
    and they were big files. If the online manual and cd don't help - I will ask
    the group. I feel like I owe everyone a drink for all the help already.
    THANKS again,
    Jim / NJ

    Jim, Oct 12, 2004
  6. Jim

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:00:06 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
    <jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:

    >I figured out how to turn off the info stuff I was seeing on the screen and
    >TV - THANKS!! It worked like a charm. Owners manual had a blip about it too
    >but not where I thought it would be. Each night I RE-read the manual - a few
    >pages at a time. I need to watch the CD and read the online manual too

    The PDF copy of the manual is your best friend, as you can search it
    electronically by keyword. Helps to find those tidbits of information that
    may not be where you might expect them to be.

    >found. I transferred the pictures last night (first time for me) and I ended
    >up with hundreds (Only 40 were on camera) in several spots like picture
    >perfect (?) and in the my pictures folder - all in 3 MP so took a lot of
    >space I'm sure. Need to learn how to do this right.

    Something to consider. Many of us do not use the manufacturer supplied
    software to transfer photos. Depending upon your OS the camera itself will
    most likely mount as a removable drive and you could use Windows Explorer
    to select and move or copyy/paste what files you want, where you want them.
    In fact many of us use simple card readers, so we never connect the camera
    itself to the computer. This is a generic or universal method which will
    work no matter what you may upgrade to in the future.

    >I also need to learn how to only transfer / download the pictures I want -
    >not all. There's about 25 on the card we want to keep on there to show
    >people. They download every time too. Just want to save them on the card.
    >I also need to learn how to shrink the size for Emailing. I sent a couple
    >and they were big files. If the online manual and cd don't help - I will ask
    >the group. I feel like I owe everyone a drink for all the help already.

    You could create another folder for those photos you want to leave on the
    card all the time.

    Ed Ruf, Oct 12, 2004
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Thanks Ed! I created a folder and all worked great. I just can't do the
    transfer from camera to PC or they all come out. I have to just open then
    card and download from there. I looked at some of your pictures too -
    hopefully I will get good too.

    Just trying to figure out this newsgroup stuff is driving me NUTS let alone
    the camera! I'm not a super PC person. I couldn't find any replies as they
    went off my ISP already. A friend said to look on google for it - I found
    them there but not your reply. I did a find and yours came up but not
    others. Then I couldn't open yours - I tried again and it opened. I know
    it's something I am doing wrong.

    Jim

    Jim, Oct 13, 2004
  8. Jim

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:10:52 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
    <jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:

    >Just trying to figure out this newsgroup stuff is driving me NUTS let alone
    >the camera! I'm not a super PC person. I couldn't find any replies as they
    >went off my ISP already. A friend said to look on google for it - I found
    >them there but not your reply. I did a find and yours came up but not
    >others. Then I couldn't open yours - I tried again and it opened. I know
    >it's something I am doing wrong.

    I have a philosophical disagreement with the Google Groups copyright
    statement. As such I set a special header (X-archive = no), which Google
    does honor and hence does not archive any of my posts.

    Ed Ruf, Oct 13, 2004
  9. Jim

    Jim Guest

    That explains some. I still can't see these posts on my ISP but they're
    there when I search them.
    I tried to send this below to your Email but it came back:

    I replied to your post but wanted to say thanks personally. You were a big
    help. I have many more questions to ask the group in time once I figure out
    how to find them if I don't sign in for a couple days etc. And if I can't
    find the answers when I print the entire manual that is on the CD that came
    w/ my coolpix 3200. I want to learn this stuff but it's frustrating too. I
    will get the hang of it all. Biggest issue now is the lag time. I wanted to
    take a band playing shot and by the time the picture went took - he was
    turned around. Same w/ dog shots - can't keep him posed long enough for
    camera to take the picture (Used to 35mm instant I guess). Also need to
    learn how to shrink so I can Email. I send to people and they can't open.
    Again, this may all be in the manual that I plan on printing and reading.
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 13, 2004
  10. Jim

    Jim Guest

    PS- How did you see my reply to your post? May I ask? It's not on my ISP
    newsgroup nor google anymore. I found it by going to find and typing in my
    subject but that's because I was looking to see if anyone replied to my
    post. You wouldn't do a search for this thread. I ask so that maybe there's
    a way for me to do this easier.

    Jim

    Jim, Oct 13, 2004
  11. Jim

    Kath Adams Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:00:06 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
    > <jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:
    >

    >> I figured out how to turn off the info stuff I was seeing on the
    >> screen and TV - THANKS!! It worked like a charm. Owners manual had a
    >> blip about it too but not where I thought it would be. Each night I
    >> RE-read the manual - a few pages at a time. I need to watch the CD
    >> and read the online manual too

    > The PDF copy of the manual is your best friend, as you can search it
    > electronically by keyword. Helps to find those tidbits of information
    > that may not be where you might expect them to be.

    >> found. I transferred the pictures last night (first time for me) and
    >> I ended up with hundreds (Only 40 were on camera) in several spots
    >> like picture perfect (?) and in the my pictures folder - all in 3 MP
    >> so took a lot of space I'm sure. Need to learn how to do this right.

    > Something to consider. Many of us do not use the manufacturer supplied
    > software to transfer photos. Depending upon your OS the camera itself
    > will most likely mount as a removable drive and you could use Windows
    > Explorer to select and move or copyy/paste what files you want, where
    > you want them. In fact many of us use simple card readers, so we
    > never connect the camera itself to the computer. This is a generic or
    > universal method which will work no matter what you may upgrade to in
    > the future.
    >

    >> I also need to learn how to only transfer / download the pictures I
    >> want - not all. There's about 25 on the card we want to keep on
    >> there to show people. They download every time too. Just want to
    >> save them on the card.
    >> I also need to learn how to shrink the size for Emailing. I sent a
    >> couple and they were big files. If the online manual and cd don't
    >> help - I will ask the group. I feel like I owe everyone a drink for
    >> all the help already.

    > You could create another folder for those photos you want to leave on
    > the card all the time.

    I have to concur with Ed, that it is FAR easier to not connect the
    camera to the PC, wastes battery power, does things you don't want etc.
    I use a card reader and Windows Explorer, shows up as G drive when it's
    plugged in. Just drag and move to a folder on my HD.
    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Kath Adams, Oct 14, 2004
  12. Jim

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:50:49 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
    <jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:

    >That explains some. I still can't see these posts on my ISP but they're
    >there when I search them.
    >I tried to send this below to your Email but it came back:

    Something must be misconfigured in OE. This is a real address that is not
    munged at all. I've never used OE so I can't help you here.

    >I replied to your post but wanted to say thanks personally. You were a big
    >help. I have many more questions to ask the group in time once I figure out
    >how to find them if I don't sign in for a couple days etc. And if I can't
    >find the answers when I print the entire manual that is on the CD that came
    >w/ my coolpix 3200. I want to learn this stuff but it's frustrating too. I
    >will get the hang of it all. Biggest issue now is the lag time. I wanted to
    >take a band playing shot and by the time the picture went took - he was
    >turned around. Same w/ dog shots - can't keep him posed long enough for
    >camera to take the picture (Used to 35mm instant I guess). Also need to
    >learn how to shrink so I can Email. I send to people and they can't open.
    >Again, this may all be in the manual that I plan on printing and reading.
    >Jim

    You shouldn't have to print the manual off the CD. Unless Nikon has changed
    something this should be just a PDF copy of the printed manual you get with
    the camera.

    Lag is an issue with P&S digicams. You can't compare to film SLR's, it's an
    apple & oranges comparison. You can check the review on
    http://www.dpreview.com for how bad it is. That said however, there are
    things you can do to help minimize the lag:

    1. Turn off continuous auto focus. This will require you not to use the
    fully automatic mode and at least switch to using programmed mode if
    possible. I couldn't find a manual for it on the Nikon USA site.

    2. Look at the auto focus area modes, turn to off if possible (5700 trick).

    3. Pre-focus by half pressing shutter release button. Also try setting
    infinity focus.

    4. Try turning the LCD off.

    For shrinking, ie resizing images, probably the easiest tool for a beginner
    is one of the best free tools out there, Irfanview, available at:
    http://www.irfanview.com Be sure to get the plugins as well.
    Also easy batch resizining/resampling of whole groups or directroies of
    photos.

    Ed Ruf, Oct 14, 2004
  13. Jim

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:50:53 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
    <> wrote:

    >Lag is an issue with P&S digicams. You can't compare to film SLR's, it's an
    >apple & oranges comparison. You can check the review on
    >http://www.dpreview.com for how bad it is. That said however, there are
    >things you can do to help minimize the lag:
    >
    >1. Turn off continuous auto focus. This will require you not to use the
    >fully automatic mode and at least switch to using programmed mode if
    >possible. I couldn't find a manual for it on the Nikon USA site.
    >
    >2. Look at the auto focus area modes, turn to off if possible (5700 trick).
    >
    >3. Pre-focus by half pressing shutter release button. Also try setting
    >infinity focus.
    >
    >4. Try turning the LCD off.

    Found a copy of the manual on the Euro site. Unfortunately, none of the
    above is part of the 3200 feature set. Best I could see is to try the
    Sports Spectator mode.

    FWIW, I also saw you can hide files so they don't get transferred and there
    was an Auto Transfer all setting you could disable. Again, as I use a card
    reader and Windows Explorer as opposed to the Nikon software, you'll have
    to figure this out.

    Ed Ruf, Oct 14, 2004
  14. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:50:49 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
    > <jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net> wrote:
    >
    > >That explains some. I still can't see these posts on my ISP but they're
    > >there when I search them.
    > >I tried to send this below to your Email but it came back:

    > Something must be misconfigured in OE. This is a real address that is not
    > munged at all. I've never used OE so I can't help you here.
    >
    > >I replied to your post but wanted to say thanks personally. You were a

    big
    > >help. I have many more questions to ask the group in time once I figure

    out
    > >how to find them if I don't sign in for a couple days etc. And if I can't
    > >find the answers when I print the entire manual that is on the CD that

    came
    > >w/ my coolpix 3200. I want to learn this stuff but it's frustrating too.

    > >will get the hang of it all. Biggest issue now is the lag time. I wanted

    > >take a band playing shot and by the time the picture went took - he was
    > >turned around. Same w/ dog shots - can't keep him posed long enough for
    > >camera to take the picture (Used to 35mm instant I guess). Also need to
    > >learn how to shrink so I can Email. I send to people and they can't open.
    > >Again, this may all be in the manual that I plan on printing and reading.
    > >Jim

    > You shouldn't have to print the manual off the CD. Unless Nikon has

    changed
    > something this should be just a PDF copy of the printed manual you get

    with
    > the camera.
    >
    > Lag is an issue with P&S digicams. You can't compare to film SLR's, it's

    an
    > apple & oranges comparison. You can check the review on
    > http://www.dpreview.com for how bad it is. That said however, there are
    > things you can do to help minimize the lag:
    >
    > 1. Turn off continuous auto focus. This will require you not to use the
    > fully automatic mode and at least switch to using programmed mode if
    > possible. I couldn't find a manual for it on the Nikon USA site.
    >
    > 2. Look at the auto focus area modes, turn to off if possible (5700

    trick).

    > 3. Pre-focus by half pressing shutter release button. Also try setting
    > infinity focus.
    >
    > 4. Try turning the LCD off.
    >
    > For shrinking, ie resizing images, probably the easiest tool for a

    beginner
    > is one of the best free tools out there, Irfanview, available at:
    > http://www.irfanview.com Be sure to get the plugins as well.
    > Also easy batch resizining/resampling of whole groups or directroies of
    > photos.
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Thank you. I will try everything you said. The half shutter down is what
    gets me - I push half way to focus and then all the way - by that time the
    "car" has passed, the "band" has changed positions or the "dog" has moved.
    Tried it on a coaster (Nitro at Six Flags) from 230' and by the time it took
    the shoot we were doing 90 MPH so it didn't look good. I tried to get it at
    the top when the car is barley moving.
    I printed the manual from the CD today. It's a SUPER detailed manual with
    all kinds of neat stuff. Nothing on this CD is anything that is in the book.
    I printed so I could read and try rather then jump back and forth between CD
    and camera. Also because the eyes are going I think. Easier to read printed
    then on the PC screen. This manual has trouble shooting, uninstall /
    install, advanced tricks for using the software to fix up pictures, advanced
    details on how to save / copy / print/ Email, burn to CD you name it. Even
    how to organize. It looks like a Nikon 3200 bible. If I read and learn
    this - I may actually be able to answer someone else's question. At least
    for a Nikon 3200. I'm sure a pro would tell me this stuff is for beginners
    compared to what is out there but it's a start. If I enjoy this as a hobby
    as I think I will, I will ask for help on what products to buy / use from
    camera to software.
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 14, 2004