    Will the data be correctly transferred?
    thanks

    bye Jones

    Jones, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Jones

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:17:37 GMT, Jones <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I often have to transfer data from PC to my decoder.
    >It stay at another room and I need of a long cable 15-16 meters.

    what cable?
    what transfer method?

    >Will I have problems?

    I don't have a crystal ball.

    derek / nul, Nov 23, 2003

  3. 178397349
    > Hi,
    > I often have to transfer data from PC to my decoder.
    > It stay at another room and I need of a long cable 15-16 meters.
    > Will I have problems?
    > Will the data be correctly transferred?

    If you will have connect all correctly then NO!
    You will not have a problems!

    Den.

    Denis Bolotnov, Nov 23, 2003
  4. What cable

    What cable, probably a serial cable right? Some cables have distant limits.

    --
    Justin Olanin
    Email -

    Justin Olanin, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Jones

    Robert Baer Guest

    Jones wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I often have to transfer data from PC to my decoder.
    > It stay at another room and I need of a long cable 15-16 meters.
    > Will I have problems?
    > Will the data be correctly transferred?
    > thanks
    >
    > bye Jones

    After reading the other responses, please note: *all* cables and data
    transmission methods have distance limits, and those limits vary
    according to the cable construction and signalling protocol (which
    includes the hardware).
    For best results, use a null modem cable with RS-232.
    As long as the environnment is not electrically noisy or the cable
    does not pass by a RFI device (eg: generator, another PC), ther should
    be no problems.

    Robert Baer, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Jones

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:17:37 GMT, Jones <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I often have to transfer data from PC to my decoder.

    What's a decoder?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 24, 2003
  7. Jones

    MrToad Guest

    Robert Baer <> Ran in the back door and shouted

    > Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >> I often have to transfer data from PC to my decoder.
    >> It stay at another room and I need of a long cable 15-16 meters.
    >> Will I have problems?
    >> Will the data be correctly transferred?
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> bye Jones

    > After reading the other responses, please note: *all* cables and data
    > transmission methods have distance limits, and those limits vary
    > according to the cable construction and signalling protocol (which
    > includes the hardware).
    > For best results, use a null modem cable with RS-232.
    > As long as the environnment is not electrically noisy or the cable
    > does not pass by a RFI device (eg: generator, another PC), ther should
    > be no problems.

    To expand a bit further,
    From:
    http://www.connectworld.net/cable-length.html

    ___

    NOTE on RS-232 Serial Cables

    At lower peripheral speeds of up to 9600 baud,serial interfaces can
    usually operate over cables up to 50 feet long. Use of special high
    quality cable may in some cases allow this limit to be extended to as
    much as 150 feet.
    ___

    At 15-15 meters, you're at the end limit, [@ 9600 baud], for a
    "standard" RS-232 cable.
    Just keep that in mind when you buy a cable....

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Nov 25, 2003