Can I test Wireless GPO settings on XP client?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?S2VlcGVy?=, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?S2VlcGVy?=, Apr 4, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?S2VlcGVy?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    This functions are related to Windows 20003 as a server to control the
    WEireless Client. WinXP is Not a server OS it does not have these
    capacities.
    :sun;

    Jack, Apr 5, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?S2VlcGVy?=

    MacAddict Guest

    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but I will try to guess:

    1) You want to know if you set it up on AD, will the client show the
    wireless settings that you assign to it via GPO?

    Yes, if you set the GPO to connect to network "ABC" with WPA-TKIP, the
    Windows Wireless Zero Configuration Utility will show the network "ABC"
    as a preferred network.

    2) You want to make these changes from an XP machine to your Windows
    2003 server that is running AD?

    Yes, if you have downloaded and install the 'admin pack'? (can't
    remember which pack you need), you can control your GPO's from your XP
    machine (as long as you have AD setup).

    3) If you don't have Active Directory, can you set this GPO's from a
    Windows XP machine?

    No, you need to be running AD (in Windows 2003) to set GPO (Group
    Policy Objects).
    MacAddict, Apr 5, 2006
  4. thanx for the responses...

    I was told that if the gpo wireless settings were just templates that I
    could load them onto my laptop and test them without messing around with the
    AD server.

    Is this possible for the gpo wireless objects?

    Unfortunately we are running AD 2000 and they want me to find out two things:

    1) Do we absolutely need 2003 server or can we load the Wireless GPO
    templates into AD 2000 (we currently have win2003 templates loaded into
    win2000 AD but we cannot see the wireless settings as shown in the url i
    included above)

    2) How do we load/install these settings on the server? (I looked as per
    the url above even on one of our 2003 servers I cannot see the wireless gpo
    settings)

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VlcGVy?=, Apr 5, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?S2VlcGVy?=

    MacAddict Guest

    I don't know if must have Windows 2003 server for the wireless settings
    to work but you can download the ADM file that contains those settings
    (Windows 2003 Server SP1). After you download them and install them,
    you should be able to see them when creating new GPO's.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92759D4B-7112-4B6C-AD4A-BBF3802A5C9B&displaylang=en#filelist>

    Good luck.
    MacAddict, Apr 6, 2006