    am i right in saying that my plans wont always work?

    thanks.

    om

    OM, Sep 25, 2005

  2. OM

    peter Guest

    Maybe maybe not - clear enough ? :) I think that X-Pro might help you
    a little bit, the soft client from www.xten.com, but no guarantees. It
    depends on what sort of setup you hook up on. Besides, from abroad,
    SKYPE should work (unless you go to China), since they seemingly have
    sone quite fancy nat-traversal stuff. Do not despair, check it out -
    either it works or it doesn't.:)

    Trolls crave attention - withhold it and they die :
    http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

    peter, Sep 25, 2005

  3. OM

    Paul Cupis Guest

    peter wrote:
    > Maybe maybe not - clear enough ? :) I think that X-Pro might help you
    > a little bit, the soft client from www.xten.com, but no guarantees. It
    > depends on what sort of setup you hook up on. Besides, from abroad,
    > SKYPE should work (unless you go to China), since they seemingly have
    > sone quite fancy nat-traversal stuff. Do not despair, check it out -
    > either it works or it doesn't.:)

    NAT-traversal is not so much of a problem if you are not using SIP.

    Paul Cupis, Sep 25, 2005
  4. OM

    OM Guest

    > > Maybe maybe not - clear enough ? :) I think that X-Pro might help you
    > > a little bit, the soft client from www.xten.com, but no guarantees. It
    > > depends on what sort of setup you hook up on. Besides, from abroad,
    > > SKYPE should work (unless you go to China), since they seemingly have
    > > sone quite fancy nat-traversal stuff. Do not despair, check it out -
    > > either it works or it doesn't.:)

    > NAT-traversal is not so much of a problem if you are not using SIP.

    i'm really new to all this... sorry for being dumb, but what is SIP??

    OM, Sep 25, 2005
  5. OM

    Paul Cupis Guest

    OM wrote:
    >>>Maybe maybe not - clear enough ? :) I think that X-Pro might help you
    >>>a little bit, the soft client from www.xten.com, but no guarantees. It
    >>>depends on what sort of setup you hook up on. Besides, from abroad,
    >>>SKYPE should work (unless you go to China), since they seemingly have
    >>>sone quite fancy nat-traversal stuff. Do not despair, check it out -
    >>>either it works or it doesn't.:)

    >>NAT-traversal is not so much of a problem if you are not using SIP.

    > i'm really new to all this... sorry for being dumb, but what is SIP??

    Session Initiation Protocol

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol

    It's the internet standard for VoIP (SIP+RTP). Othe formats in common
    use are IAX http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAX and Skypes proprietory format.

    Paul Cupis, Sep 25, 2005
  6. OM

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "OM" <> wrote in message
    > > > Maybe maybe not - clear enough ? :) I think that
    > > > X-Pro might help you a little bit, the soft client
    > > > from www.xten.com, but no guarantees. It depends on
    > > > what sort of setup you hook up on. Besides, from
    > > > abroad, SKYPE should work (unless you go to China),
    > > > since they seemingly have sone quite fancy
    > > > nat-traversal stuff. Do not despair, check it out -
    > > > either it works or it doesn't.:)

    > > NAT-traversal is not so much of a problem if you are
    > > not using SIP.

    > i'm really new to all this... sorry for being dumb, but
    > what is SIP??

    Session Initiation Protocol - most (but not all) VoIP systems use this. It
    theoretically allows all sorts of things like interconnection between
    different networks, equipment etc. but as you've found it doesn't always
    pan out like that ;-)

    X-Lite can be notoriously difficult to configure, with regard to your
    Sipgate problem don't give up on it just yet, all sorts of things could be
    wrong. Please let me know if I can help in any way, although I am far from
    an X-Lite expert, I prefer hardware devices like the Sipura 2000 myself..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 25, 2005
  7. On 25 Sep 2005 11:37:27 -0700, "OM" <> wrote:

    >but with all this damn p***ing around with ports and port forwarding
    >and any other firewalls issues...
    >am i right in saying that my plans wont always work?

    correct, the connectivity provider might block ports etc. I have used
    quite a few hotel broadband connections where you get the option of a
    firewalled or "clear" connection eg for VPN, and VoIP usually works
    with them. I took an ATA with me on my last US trip.

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))

    Phil Thompson, Sep 25, 2005
  8. OM

    Mark Adamson Guest

    > for example... if i went abroad and was staying at a hotel with a
    > wireless network...
    > i thought i would be able to make and receive calls
    >
    > but with all this damn p***ing around with ports and port forwarding
    > and any other firewalls issues...
    > am i right in saying that my plans wont always work?

    If you use an outbound proxy, and everything else is set up ok in xlite or
    your ata, you won't have any problems in most places. But using an outbound
    proxy tends to make things lag a bit more.

    Having said that, I have never been clear whether making calls via an
    outbound proxy is such a bad thing if the outbound proxy is taking your
    calls to pstn anyway (vonage, voipfone, sipgate etc). Anyone know if it is
    still detrimental?

    Mark Adamson, Sep 26, 2005