    Has anyone an idea using this or another program please?
    Thanks
    Mac

    Mac Lynch, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Mac Lynch

    Rick Guest

    http://www.irfanview.com

    Rick, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Mac Lynch

    Mac Lynch Guest

    In article <c242on$1pll1u$-berlin.de>,
    says...

    >> Kia Ora
    >> I am using photoshop 5.5 on a PC running on windows 98SE
    >> When I open a .bmp file & try to "save as" there does not seem to be an

    option
    >> for .jpg
    >> Has anyone an idea using this or another program please?
    >> Thanks
    >> Mac

    >http://www.irfanview.com

    Thanks Rick
    Works a treat. How is that for instant response? Only posted the request less
    than 5 minutes ago!
    Mac

    Mac Lynch, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Mac Lynch

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Mac Lynch) stated that:

    >Kia Ora
    >I am using photoshop 5.5 on a PC running on windows 98SE
    >When I open a .bmp file & try to "save as" there does not seem to be an option
    >for .jpg

    PS 5.5 can certainly make JPEGs. My guess is that your BMP is using a
    colour depth or type that's incompatible with the JPEG standard, most
    likely a palletised format or a 16 bit format. Try converting it to a
    JPEG compatible mode ([Image]=>[Mode]=>[RGB] then [Image]=>[Mode]=>[8
    bits per channel]. After that, I'm betting that you'll then find that it
    will let you do a [Save As] to JPEG.

    Cheers,

    Lionel.

    Lionel, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Mac Lynch

    jim evans Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:48:40 +0000 (UTC), (Mac
    Lynch) wrote:

    >I am using photoshop 5.5 on a PC running on windows 98SE
    >When I open a .bmp file & try to "save as" there does not seem to be an option
    >for .jpg

    I used Photoshop 5.5 until a couple of years ago. I'm not sure what
    the problem you're having is, but it can definitely save .jpgs.

    jim

    jim evans, Mar 3, 2004
  6. Mac Lynch

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Lionel <> wrote:

    >Kibo informs me that (Mac Lynch) stated that:
    >
    >>Kia Ora
    >>I am using photoshop 5.5 on a PC running on windows 98SE
    >>When I open a .bmp file & try to "save as" there does not seem to be an option
    >>for .jpg

    >PS 5.5 can certainly make JPEGs. My guess is that your BMP is using a
    >colour depth or type that's incompatible with the JPEG standard, most
    >likely a palletised format or a 16 bit format. Try converting it to a
    >JPEG compatible mode ([Image]=>[Mode]=>[RGB] then [Image]=>[Mode]=>[8
    >bits per channel]. After that, I'm betting that you'll then find that it
    >will let you do a [Save As] to JPEG.

    .... which still may be a poor choice, as a GIF may be smaller with no
    lossy compression.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Mar 4, 2004
  7. Mac Lynch

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that stated that:

    >In message <>,
    >Lionel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Kibo informs me that (Mac Lynch) stated that:
    >>
    >>>Kia Ora
    >>>I am using photoshop 5.5 on a PC running on windows 98SE
    >>>When I open a .bmp file & try to "save as" there does not seem to be an option
    >>>for .jpg

    >>PS 5.5 can certainly make JPEGs. My guess is that your BMP is using a
    >>colour depth or type that's incompatible with the JPEG standard, most
    >>likely a palletised format or a 16 bit format. Try converting it to a
    >>JPEG compatible mode ([Image]=>[Mode]=>[RGB] then [Image]=>[Mode]=>[8
    >>bits per channel]. After that, I'm betting that you'll then find that it
    >>will let you do a [Save As] to JPEG.

    >... which still may be a poor choice, as a GIF may be smaller with no
    >lossy compression.

    GIF compression *is* lossy. It's limited to no more than 256 colours.
    For photographs, JPEG is greatly superior. GIF is best suited to
    diagrams & praphics with hard edges & relatively few colours.

    Lionel, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Mac Lynch

    Mac Lynch Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:48:40 +0000 (UTC), (Mac
    >Lynch) wrote:
    >
    >>I am using photoshop 5.5 on a PC running on windows 98SE
    >>When I open a .bmp file & try to "save as" there does not seem to be an

    option
    >>for .jpg

    >I used Photoshop 5.5 until a couple of years ago. I'm not sure what
    >the problem you're having is, but it can definitely save .jpgs.
    >
    >jim

    Thanks everyone
    Following Lionel's suggestion after using Irfanview I also accessed the MODE
    in Photoshop & found that it was set to BMP, I changed that to Greyscale & the
    ..jpg "save as" option reappeared.
    Despite some difficulties, this is still a great & useful newsgroup.
    Mac

    Mac Lynch, Mar 4, 2004
  9. Mac Lynch

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Lionel <> wrote:

    >Kibo informs me that stated that:
    >
    >>In message <>,
    >>Lionel <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Kibo informs me that (Mac Lynch) stated that:

    >>>PS 5.5 can certainly make JPEGs. My guess is that your BMP is using a
    >>>colour depth or type that's incompatible with the JPEG standard, most
    >>>likely a palletised format or a 16 bit format. Try converting it to a
    >>>JPEG compatible mode ([Image]=>[Mode]=>[RGB] then [Image]=>[Mode]=>[8
    >>>bits per channel]. After that, I'm betting that you'll then find that it
    >>>will let you do a [Save As] to JPEG.

    >>... which still may be a poor choice, as a GIF may be smaller with no
    >>lossy compression.

    >GIF compression *is* lossy.

    No; for what it's intended for (palette-mapped color) it is not lossy.

    >It's limited to no more than 256 colours.

    As the poster's image most likely is, as well. No straight-RGB 24 bits
    or less should have any problems saved as a JPEG in PS.

    >For photographs, JPEG is greatly superior. GIF is best suited to
    >diagrams & praphics with hard edges & relatively few colours.

    Which is why I used the words "may be" in my post.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Mar 4, 2004
  10. Mac Lynch

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Mac Lynch) stated that:

    >Thanks everyone
    >Following Lionel's suggestion after using Irfanview I also accessed the MODE
    >in Photoshop & found that it was set to BMP, I changed that to Greyscale & the
    >.jpg "save as" option reappeared.
    >Despite some difficulties, this is still a great & useful newsgroup.

    Glad I could help, Mac.

    Lionel, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Mac Lynch

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that stated that:

    >In message <>,
    >Lionel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Kibo informs me that stated that:

    >>>... which still may be a poor choice, as a GIF may be smaller with no
    >>>lossy compression.

    >>GIF compression *is* lossy.

    >No; for what it's intended for (palette-mapped color) it is not lossy.

    Yes, & it's lossy for any image with more than 256 colours.

    >>It's limited to no more than 256 colours.

    >As the poster's image most likely is, as well.

    Given that this is a photography newsgroup, & the poster didn't mention
    what kind of image it was, that's a big assumption to make.

    > No straight-RGB 24 bits
    >or less should have any problems saved as a JPEG in PS.
    >
    >>For photographs, JPEG is greatly superior. GIF is best suited to
    >>diagrams & praphics with hard edges & relatively few colours.

    >Which is why I used the words "may be" in my post.

    Indeed.

    Lionel, Mar 4, 2004
  12. Mac Lynch

    Rick Guest

    "Mac Lynch" <> wrote in message news:c26njc$ah0$...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > >On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:48:40 +0000 (UTC), (Mac
    > >Lynch) wrote:
    > >
    > >>I am using photoshop 5.5 on a PC running on windows 98SE
    > >>When I open a .bmp file & try to "save as" there does not seem to be an

    > option
    > >>for .jpg

    > >I used Photoshop 5.5 until a couple of years ago. I'm not sure what
    > >the problem you're having is, but it can definitely save .jpgs.
    > >
    > >jim

    > Thanks everyone
    > Following Lionel's suggestion after using Irfanview I also accessed the MODE
    > in Photoshop & found that it was set to BMP, I changed that to Greyscale & the
    > .jpg "save as" option reappeared.
    > Despite some difficulties, this is still a great & useful newsgroup.
    > Mac

    Just FYI, if you want to avoid the conversion to grayscale,
    Irfanview allows 1-bit BMP files to be saved directly to
    JPEG format. Photoshop doesn't.

    Rick

    Rick, Mar 4, 2004
  13. Mac Lynch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:

    > In message <>,
    > Lionel <> wrote:
    >

    >>Kibo informs me that (Mac Lynch) stated that:
    >>

    >>>Kia Ora
    >>>I am using photoshop 5.5 on a PC running on windows 98SE
    >>>When I open a .bmp file & try to "save as" there does not seem to be an option
    >>>for .jpg

    >>PS 5.5 can certainly make JPEGs. My guess is that your BMP is using a
    >>colour depth or type that's incompatible with the JPEG standard, most
    >>likely a palletised format or a 16 bit format. Try converting it to a
    >>JPEG compatible mode ([Image]=>[Mode]=>[RGB] then [Image]=>[Mode]=>[8
    >>bits per channel]. After that, I'm betting that you'll then find that it
    >>will let you do a [Save As] to JPEG.

    > ... which still may be a poor choice, as a GIF may be smaller with no
    > lossy compression.

    And 256 colors? Not likely!

    Ron Hunter, Mar 4, 2004
  14. Mac Lynch

    Mac Lynch Guest

    In article <>, says...

    Whoa!!
    This discussion has escalated way beyond my innocent enquiry, though it has
    generated some intesting comment.
    As it is, the original .bmp file is a small b&w plan of a church layout, that
    is quite OK in greyscale.
    The discussion illustrates there are a number of ways of tackling a job. All
    can have their merits & disadvantages. eg
    1. I use ACDsee for skimming through my downloaded pics from my camera &
    discarding rubbish.
    2. I use Photoshop for editing my photos, sometimes printing..
    3. I usually use Pixprint for printing out a page of mixed photos & sizes.
    4. I use Irfanview Copied onto a disk of files I give to someone who may not
    have a photoviewing or editing program.
    5. I use Adobe Photoalbum for archiving & keeping track of my photos.
    6. I use Adobe Photo Delux for preparing a collage page & "funnies".
    7. I use Ulead DVD Picture Show for preparing pics to show on TV & also for
    Archiving.
    8. I use Windows explorer for downloading my photos from Camera & also clearing
    my Smart media card.
    9. I use the internet for helping me with my problems & communicating with you
    guys. THANKS
    Mac

    Mac Lynch, Mar 4, 2004
  15. Mac Lynch

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > wrote:

    >> In message <>,
    >> Lionel <> wrote:

    >>>Kibo informs me that (Mac Lynch) stated that:

    >>>PS 5.5 can certainly make JPEGs. My guess is that your BMP is using a
    >>>colour depth or type that's incompatible with the JPEG standard, most
    >>>likely a palletised format or a 16 bit format. Try converting it to a
    >>>JPEG compatible mode ([Image]=>[Mode]=>[RGB] then [Image]=>[Mode]=>[8
    >>>bits per channel]. After that, I'm betting that you'll then find that it
    >>>will let you do a [Save As] to JPEG.

    >> ... which still may be a poor choice, as a GIF may be smaller with no
    >> lossy compression.

    >And 256 colors? Not likely!

    Really? Then why wouldn't it save as a JPEG?

    A photo is normally in an RGB-data format, not a palette map. PS has no
    problem saving and RGB-data BMP as a JPEG.

    The original poster did not say it was a photo, and the failure to save
    as a JPEG suggests palette-mapped mode.

    Perhaps it was a 256-color palette-mapped photo, but the evidence given
    by the origial poster suggested otherwise. I made the most logical
    statement with the info given. Do you know how many times I've seen
    35KB JPEGs with haloing around what was obviously just 8 or 16 colors,
    which could have been a 2K GIF?
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Mar 4, 2004
  16. Mac Lynch

    Guest

    In message <c2842d$79c$>,
    (Mac Lynch) wrote:

    >In article <>, says...
    >>

    >Whoa!!
    >This discussion has escalated way beyond my innocent enquiry, though it has
    >generated some intesting comment.
    >As it is, the original .bmp file is a small b&w plan of a church layout, that
    >is quite OK in greyscale.
    >The discussion illustrates there are a number of ways of tackling a job. All
    >can have their merits & disadvantages. eg

    There is absolutely no merit to using JPEG for this (unless it is to be
    displayed somewhere that only takes JPEGs. A 2-color GIF is what you
    want, and it will be a much, much smaller file than a JPEG, and
    better-looking, too.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Mar 4, 2004
  17. Mac Lynch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:

    > In message <>,
    > Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:

    >>>... which still may be a poor choice, as a GIF may be smaller with no
    >>>lossy compression.

    >>And 256 colors? Not likely!

    > Really? Then why wouldn't it save as a JPEG?
    >
    > A photo is normally in an RGB-data format, not a palette map. PS has no
    > problem saving and RGB-data BMP as a JPEG.
    >
    > The original poster did not say it was a photo, and the failure to save
    > as a JPEG suggests palette-mapped mode.
    >
    > Perhaps it was a 256-color palette-mapped photo, but the evidence given
    > by the origial poster suggested otherwise. I made the most logical
    > statement with the info given. Do you know how many times I've seen
    > 35KB JPEGs with haloing around what was obviously just 8 or 16 colors,
    > which could have been a 2K GIF?

    I wouldn't save anything as a GIF if I could avoid it. They are often
    larger than a JPG and the colors are reduced to 256, and sometimes
    changed as well. Yes, they ARE better for logo type things, but I
    really don't like the format, and the recent flap over rights to use the
    format have made me avoid it.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 5, 2004