  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I've got an Asus P5GD1 motherboard that is configured with 3 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, and 1 PCI-E x16 slots. The x16 slot already has a GeForce 8800GT video card in it that I would like to keep. But I also have a GeForce 8500GT video card that I would like to add into the box. The 8500GT is an x16 card -- could I fit it (and will it run) in a x1 slot? Or do I need to buy a PCI video card and fit into one of the PCI slots instead?
    Rick, Jun 3, 2009

  2. Rick

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 16:05:13 -0500, Rick wrote:

    Nasty case of non line wrapping you have.

    Run or fit, 2 very different things.

    Online manuals would help you, mobo compatablity for the sockets and
    graphics card for min requirement / possible performance issues.

    Providing URLs to manuals would help even just to be more encouraging in
    helping instead of searching.

    >I've got an Asus P5GD1 motherboard that is configured with 3 PCI,
    >3 PCI-E x1, and 1 PCI-E x16 slots. The x16 slot already has a GeForce
    >8800GT video card in it that I would like to keep. But I also have a
    >GeForce 8500GT video card that I would like to add into the box. The
    >8500GT is an x16 card -- could I fit it (and will it run) in a x1 slot?
    >Or do I need to buy a PCI video card and fit into one of the PCI slots
    >instead?

    A smaller PCIe card will fit into a larger slot. Unless you have an open
    ended slot a longer card will not fit.

    The PCIe spec means the card figures out the best connection.

    Me
    why?, Jun 3, 2009

  3. Rick

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rick wrote:

    Don't use OE's QP QuotedPrintable in 'mixed company' -- where other
    people are using other newsagents. Typically one agent's QP, especially
    OE's, is not compatible with anything else.

    Change configuration in: OE/ Tools/ Options/ Send tab - News Sending
    Format (plaintext is checked) - click Plain Text Settings button -
    checked MIME - use its menu to select 'Encode text using' - None (not
    Quoted Printable). Also your wrap should be something around 72-74.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 3, 2009
  4. Rick

    thanatoid Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > Rick wrote:
    >
    > Don't use OE's QP QuotedPrintable in 'mixed company' --
    > where other people are using other newsagents. Typically
    > one agent's QP, especially OE's, is not compatible with
    > anything else.
    >
    > Change configuration in: OE/ Tools/ Options/ Send tab -
    > News Sending Format (plaintext is checked) - click Plain
    > Text Settings button - checked MIME - use its menu to
    > select 'Encode text using' - None (not Quoted Printable).
    > Also your wrap should be something around 72-74.

    For once (well, ENOUGH to follow-up positively instead of my
    usual "you're right but it's hopeless...") I'm with you this
    time. I HATE idiots who don't use wordwrap. And I am SO sick of
    getting 20K emails with text followed by 19.5 K of html. Oh, the
    humanity!

    --
    Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
    are suitable, but will Pam secure that?
    thanatoid, Jun 4, 2009
  5. Rick

    Mike Easter Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>
    >> Don't use OE's QP QuotedPrintable in 'mixed company' --

    > For once (well, ENOUGH to follow-up positively instead of my
    > usual "you're right but it's hopeless...") I'm with you this
    > time. I HATE idiots who don't use wordwrap.

    Actually, Rick's message is 'sorta' wrapped -- but how the EOLs are
    handled is unpredictable/variable by various newsagents -- and also
    different between the different v. of OE. If you look at his message
    source, you will see that the (otherwise normal chars/line) wrapping
    involves EOLs with =

    Depending on how your newsagent handles that, it might wrap to your
    window's edge; and then depending on how your newsagent handles
    *that* -- then when you reply you might get cite marks and you might not.
    For example, I just checked it with KNode which handles the message OK.
    The lines wrap to the edge of the window when reading, and then the cite
    marks work OK - standard wrapping and line by line cite marks - when
    quoting.

    > And I am SO sick of
    > getting 20K emails with text followed by 19.5 K of html. Oh, the
    > humanity!

    Depending on your mailuser agent and your OS, you should be dealing with
    that very carefully. I recall that your OS is W98; if your mailuser
    agent were OE, then it is using a very old IE rendering engine, that from
    IE6SP1 at the newest.

    That combination makes for a very scary insecurity potential; so you
    shouldn't be opening and rendering, or even previewing and rendering any
    html mail (without inspecting the message source first) if you have that
    combination.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 4, 2009
  6. Rick

    thanatoid Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >> And I am SO sick of
    >> getting 20K emails with text followed by 19.5 K of html.
    >> Oh, the humanity!

    > Depending on your mailuser agent and your OS, you should be
    > dealing with that very carefully. I recall that your OS is
    > W98; if your mailuser agent were OE, then it is using a
    > very old IE rendering engine, that from IE6SP1 at the
    > newest.
    >
    > That combination makes for a very scary insecurity
    > potential; so you shouldn't be opening and rendering, or
    > even previewing and rendering any html mail (without
    > inspecting the message source first) if you have that
    > combination.

    Because of all the awful annoyances I have been having with
    Opera AND Firefox 2 (I can NOT believe there are 20,000 text
    editors but only about 10 browsers, *all* unsatisfactory in one
    way or another) I am actually beginning to consider using IE -
    whichever ver. would work on 98SELite - *if* I can figure out a
    way to make it safe. I never thought it would come to this, but
    I guess you can't fight World Hall.

    But I'll be //damned// if I ever use OE or whatever it's called
    now.

    Since I stopped using the old Eudora about 6-8 years ago (IIRC)
    I have been using nPop - it's a fantastic little mail program.
    200KB of genius. Only accepts text and attachments. Connects to
    a gmail acct INSTANTLY via POP3/smtp. Nice of the ghoulglers to
    allow for that.

    And Xnews rules and shall continue to do so, it seems forever.
    The end of Usenet is nearing.

    Cheers.

    thanatoid, Jun 4, 2009
  7. Rick

    Guest

    , Jun 4, 2009
  8. Rick

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <>
    was claimed to have wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>No, page down to view a x16 and a x1 slot.

    >Damn forgot the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

    Note that some x1 slots are "open" in the back, if so, then it's
    possible to insert a card that expects more lanes, most cards+drivers
    will work (or at least, if the follow the spec, they will)
    DevilsPGD, Jun 4, 2009
  9. Rick

    Guest

    DevilsPGD <> wrote:

    >In message <>
    > was claimed to have wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>No, page down to view a x16 and a x1 slot.

    >>Damn forgot the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

    >Note that some x1 slots are "open" in the back, if so, then it's
    >possible to insert a card that expects more lanes, most cards+drivers
    >will work (or at least, if the follow the spec, they will)

    If that were possible, (I'm leery of that info even after reading the
    link, and timing skew), the transfer rate of the x1 slot would be 1/4
    of the x16 slot.

    If he were to SLI the video cards together - the results could run a
    gauntlet of problems.
    --

    Get the whole thing.
    http://www.videovat.com/videos/728/napster-dancing.aspx