    installed(not updated) Wind XP Pro. I would like to remove WindXP and return
    to Wind98 I have both original CDs, can it be done? how do I proceed? Would
    appreciate help Alex
    Alex F, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Alex F

    Robert Baer Guest

    Alex F wrote:

    > Originally I had on my Computer Wind 98SE, I formatted the hard drive and
    > installed(not updated) Wind XP Pro. I would like to remove WindXP and return
    > to Wind98 I have both original CDs, can it be done? how do I proceed? Would
    > appreciate help Alex

    One way is to use FDISK to remove all drives and partitions.
    Then set-up the BIOS to boot to the CD, and go from there.
    Sometimes, it is not quite that simple, as various versions (retail,
    OEM, upgrade, etc) act differently.
    At worst (when prompted by CD), boot with CD support; giving you a DOS
    prompt.
    Then, log to the DC (usually C: at this time) and FDISK, using large
    drive support (ie: answer Y to the question) and tell FDISK you want the
    whole drive.
    Reboot, and then you will be able to find FORMAT to format the hard
    drive (now drive C), and then you can install Win98 via Setup.
    Sometimes,one can skip the eXplicit use of FORMAT, and Setup will ask or
    do the job.
    Robert Baer, Nov 22, 2004

  3. Alex F

    dan Guest

    Why would you want to downgrade from XP Pro to 98. Doesn't make any sense.

    dan, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Alex F

    Thor Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    > Why would you want to downgrade from XP Pro to 98. Doesn't make any sense.

    perhaps his machine isn't really up to the task of running XP.
    Thor, Nov 28, 2004
  5. Alex F

    James Hanley Guest

    "Alex F" <> wrote in message news:<FF8od.7600$>...
    > Originally I had on my Computer Wind 98SE, I formatted the hard drive and
    > installed(not updated) Wind XP Pro. I would like to remove WindXP and return
    > to Wind98 I have both original CDs, can it be done? how do I proceed? Would
    > appreciate help Alex

    before installing 98, delete xp. I would boot up with a windows 98
    boot disk(yeah, you can do that even if you run xp), that will get you
    to a command prompt. Then, you have access to fdisk and format. Fdisk
    will let you delete the partition where xp is. Then you're home and
    dry, since you know how to install 98.

    a win98 boot disk is available from www.bootdisk.com
    James Hanley, Nov 29, 2004
  6. Alex F

    dan Guest

    I recommend to Alex F that he keep XP. Even if as Thor said his computer
    isn't up to it, I suggest he update it. It is a lot more stable and secure.

    dan, Nov 29, 2004
  7. Alex F

    Ross Durie Guest

    Instability is caused by hardware faults. I have run a 98SE install for 4
    years and have had absolutely no problems.

    --
    Ross

    Ross Durie, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Alex F

    James Hanley Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message news:<l1yqd.161087$HA.128911@attbi_s01>...
    > I recommend to Alex F that he keep XP. Even if as Thor said his computer
    > isn't up to it, I suggest he update it. It is a lot more stable and secure.

    Win 98SE is stable enough. The SE is important. A computer running
    software slowly is even more annoying than an unstable computer. 98SE
    will run fast and be stable enough. Win 98SE isn't as good as XP at
    recovering from crashes, but it's good enough. The worst thing is to
    run software slowly. I've had an old computer when i was afraid to
    move the mouse 'cos it'd send the HDD in a spin. And i've had to lie
    on my bed waiting for jbuilder(a rubbish java programming IDE) to
    react. You can't get much worse than a computer running software
    slowly, it's unusable. Win 98SE is very usable.
    James Hanley, Nov 30, 2004