    I don't use it anymore. It isn't loaded on my machine. Can I auction it on
    Ebay with a piece of hardware? And if someone does purchase it, can they
    register it? Or do I have to unregister it first?

    Greg, Jan 20, 2006

  2. Greg

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Yes you can but if MS will complain. They have people watching the auctions
    so If you get an email from someone asking for the part number it is a MS
    employee. Ignore the email. eBay will probably pull it anyway unless you use
    a 1 day auction.

    pcbutts1, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Greg

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > Yes you can but if MS will complain. They have people watching the
    > auctions so If you get an email from someone asking for the part number it
    > is a MS employee. Ignore the email. eBay will probably pull it anyway
    > unless you use a 1 day auction.
    >
    > --

    Interesting. I have a "Microsoft" game on Ebay at the moment and got an
    email from a prospective
    bidder asking for the authentication code so they could email Microsoft to
    confirm that the item
    was not a copy. I was a bit miffed as this has never happened before, so
    thanks for shedding
    some light on the subject.

    Tappy Lappy, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Greg

    Leythos Guest

    In article <dqrtc1$8e8$-infra.bt.com>, "Tappy
    Lappy" <Tappy > says...

    > "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > > Yes you can but if MS will complain. They have people watching the
    > > auctions so If you get an email from someone asking for the part number it
    > > is a MS employee. Ignore the email. eBay will probably pull it anyway
    > > unless you use a 1 day auction.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > Interesting. I have a "Microsoft" game on Ebay at the moment and got an
    > email from a prospective
    > bidder asking for the authentication code so they could email Microsoft to
    > confirm that the item
    > was not a copy. I was a bit miffed as this has never happened before, so
    > thanks for shedding
    > some light on the subject.

    And if you sent them the Authentication code they don't need to buy the
    game from you. Once they have the code they can run a bootleg copy
    without doing anything other than using your key.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Jan 21, 2006
  5. Greg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > In article <dqrtc1$8e8$-infra.bt.com>, "Tappy
    > Lappy" <Tappy > says...
    >>
    >> "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    >> > Yes you can but if MS will complain. They have people watching the
    >> > auctions so If you get an email from someone asking for the part number
    >> > it
    >> > is a MS employee. Ignore the email. eBay will probably pull it anyway
    >> > unless you use a 1 day auction.
    >> >

    >> Interesting. I have a "Microsoft" game on Ebay at the moment and got an
    >> email from a prospective
    >> bidder asking for the authentication code so they could email Microsoft
    >> confirm that the item
    >> was not a copy. I was a bit miffed as this has never happened before, so
    >> thanks for shedding
    >> some light on the subject.

    > And if you sent them the Authentication code they don't need to buy the
    > game from you. Once they have the code they can run a bootleg copy
    > without doing anything other than using your key.

    EXCELLENT point! No different than people copying the COA numbers off the
    PCs in the stores. Pirates abound.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 21, 2006
  6. Greg

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message

    > I don't use it anymore. It isn't loaded on my machine. Can I auction it on
    > Ebay with a piece of hardware?

    Depends - are you an OEM?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jan 21, 2006
  7. Greg

    Leythos Guest

    In article <43d19537$0$7225$>,
    says...

    > "Greg" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > I don't use it anymore. It isn't loaded on my machine. Can I auction it on
    > > Ebay with a piece of hardware?

    > Depends - are you an OEM?

    With OEM software from Microsoft, it's forever tied to the FIRST MACHINE
    IT IS INSTALLED ON. That means that even if you uninstall it, it's still
    licensed to that very first machine it was installed on. So, with OEM,
    you get the software cheaper, but it doesn't allow you to move the
    "License" to another computer or even sell it without also selling the
    PC to the person.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Jan 21, 2006
  8. Greg

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote:

    >I don't use it anymore. It isn't loaded on my machine. Can I auction it on
    >Ebay with a piece of hardware? And if someone does purchase it, can they
    >register it? Or do I have to unregister it first?

    Licenses for OEM versions of Windows are permanently locked to the
    first computer that they are installed on and cannot be legitimately
    transferred to another computer under any circumstances, even if the
    original computer is scrapped, lost, destroyed, or stolen.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Jan 21, 2006
  9. Greg

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > In article <dqrtc1$8e8$-infra.bt.com>, "Tappy
    > Lappy" <Tappy > says...
    >>
    >> "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    >> > Yes you can but if MS will complain. They have people watching the
    >> > auctions so If you get an email from someone asking for the part number
    >> > it
    >> > is a MS employee. Ignore the email. eBay will probably pull it anyway
    >> > unless you use a 1 day auction.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >

    >> Interesting. I have a "Microsoft" game on Ebay at the moment and got an
    >> email from a prospective
    >> bidder asking for the authentication code so they could email Microsoft
    >> confirm that the item
    >> was not a copy. I was a bit miffed as this has never happened before, so
    >> thanks for shedding
    >> some light on the subject.

    > And if you sent them the Authentication code they don't need to buy the
    > game from you. Once they have the code they can run a bootleg copy
    > without doing anything other than using your key.

    I thought that to be the more likely reason, so obviously refused. It will
    be interesting to see if a bid comes from their direction.

    Tappy Lappy, Jan 21, 2006
  10. Greg

    Roger Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "Greg" <> wrote:

    > Licenses for OEM versions of Windows are permanently locked to the
    > first computer that they are installed on and cannot be legitimately
    > transferred to another computer under any circumstances, even if the
    > original computer is scrapped, lost, destroyed, or stolen.

    How do M$ know it's a different machine?

    How can it be "locked to the first computer they are installed on"?

    I recently had to re-format my hard drive and re-install the OS and M$
    Office progs. I used the codes provided and everything works! I would regard
    this as a legitamate use of the software. Similarly, if I bought a new
    machine & scraspped the old one I would expect to use the software on this
    one with no hassles. [Don't know if this is prohibted in the EULA though]

    Also, I'm sure I've heard of individuals who have borrowed OEM software and
    succesfully installed & run it on another machine. [This may be where the
    users break the licence agreement!]
    Roger

    Roger, Jan 21, 2006
  11. Greg

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message

    > How do M$ know it's a different machine?

    There is a key algorithm generated using component serial numbers, which MS
    can query when you connect to download service packs

    > How can it be "locked to the first computer they are installed on"?

    By being remotely disabled if the same serial number is being used by 2
    algorithms.

    > I recently had to re-format my hard drive and re-install the OS and M$
    > Office progs. I used the codes provided and everything works!

    Same hardware as before.

    > I would regard this as a legitamate use of the software. Similarly, if I
    > bought a new machine & scraspped the old one I would expect to use the
    > software on this one with no hassles.

    You might get a surprise one day then.

    > [Don't know if this is prohibted in the EULA though]

    With OEM serials, yes, it is.

    Dan Evans, Jan 21, 2006