Can I rent server time?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by me@privacy.net, Aug 5, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Bear with me ...... some potentially dumb questions
    coming.

    For you IT peeps

    I want to know if its possible for me to "rent" a
    server?

    I want to play round with various IT functions such as
    web hosting, etc. Examples might be that Id want to
    try guising a wiki of some kind. Or maybe have my own
    Exchange server. Blah. Blah

    I'm frustrated here at work. I've suggested many new
    "things" we should look into doing such as groupware,
    "collaboration", etc. And this place is too cheap and
    stupid to even try any of it!! So I want to create
    my own IT infrastructure for my own uses as well as
    work uses.

    Example... I work in the maint dept. Have several
    maint men here. Information is CONSTANLY being lost,
    unable to find, etc. And I don't mean just drawings. I
    mean all kinds of info.We don't even have a plant "log"
    to pass on form one shift to another what transpired
    for that shift.

    What I envision is more more MORE information
    management.

    I might want to install wiki software on this server
    and see if that could be used as a collaboration tool.
    Play with it.

    So to sum up.... I don't want to buy or maintain ant
    hardware myself. For now I want to just rent server
    time and play and muck around wit many things. This way
    I can play from ANY PC.

    Is it possible to rent a server and have the ability to
    install any dang thing I want on it.... Apache, SQL,
    etc?

    Can this be done? Cost? Advice?

    , Aug 5, 2005

  2. Render Me Guest

    please leave servers to people that know what they are doing, I can see why
    your company has issues...

    Render Me, Aug 5, 2005

  3. pcbutts1 Guest

    Build your own. Grab an old pc and use Linux.

    I can't believe I just used the L word.

    pcbutts1, Aug 5, 2005
  4. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Bear with me ...... some potentially dumb questions
    > coming.
    >
    > For you IT peeps
    >
    > I want to know if its possible for me to "rent" a
    > server?
    >
    > I want to play round with various IT functions such as
    > web hosting, etc. Examples might be that Id want to
    > try guising a wiki of some kind. Or maybe have my own
    > Exchange server. Blah. Blah
    >
    > I'm frustrated here at work. I've suggested many new
    > "things" we should look into doing such as groupware,
    > "collaboration", etc. And this place is too cheap and
    > stupid to even try any of it!! So I want to create
    > my own IT infrastructure for my own uses as well as
    > work uses.
    >
    > Example... I work in the maint dept. Have several
    > maint men here. Information is CONSTANLY being lost,
    > unable to find, etc. And I don't mean just drawings. I
    > mean all kinds of info.We don't even have a plant "log"
    > to pass on form one shift to another what transpired
    > for that shift.
    >
    > What I envision is more more MORE information
    > management.
    >
    > I might want to install wiki software on this server
    > and see if that could be used as a collaboration tool.
    > Play with it.
    >
    > So to sum up.... I don't want to buy or maintain ant
    > hardware myself. For now I want to just rent server
    > time and play and muck around wit many things. This way
    > I can play from ANY PC.
    >
    > Is it possible to rent a server and have the ability to
    > install any dang thing I want on it.... Apache, SQL,
    > etc?
    >
    > Can this be done? Cost? Advice?

    If you want to go cheap (and not buy the hardware & software to setup
    your own server intranetwork), you could try using Virtual PC to build
    your own virtual intranetwork. You can install varying operating
    systems on each virtual PC and you can have them only talk amongst each
    other in a private network. I figure one of these days I'll probably
    get Virtual PC (cheaper than VMware) just to use a virtual PC to install
    unknown software to see how it behaves before putting it on my real PC.
    Plus I can install Windows 2003 on a virtual PC to start playing with
    managing a server environment. I could even install those games onto a
    virtual PC that want DOS or won't run properly under Windows XP and need
    Windows 98.

    Obviously by running virtual PCs, you need the CPU horsepower and
    especially the memory to handle multiple concurrently running virtual
    PCs. Virtual PC costs about $120.

    For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

    Vanguard, Aug 5, 2005
  5. Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote:

    >Obviously by running virtual PCs, you need the CPU horsepower and
    >especially the memory to handle multiple concurrently running virtual
    >PCs. Virtual PC costs about $120.

    Yes that was another idea I had

    I was thinking I could use VMWare or VPC... either one

    But could I make one of the virtual PCs a real server
    that is accessible online all the time say from my
    computer at work?

    Here is what Id like to do:

    1. Be able to access my Quicken form any computer in
    the world so I can enter and edit daily expenses.

    2. Same idea above for my contact manager such as ACT.
    And for my MindManager app.

    3. Have the ability to access other files form any PC
    in the world

    In what ways would it be advantageous to use VPC or
    VMWare for this above?

    Would it allow me to "wall off" certain functions from
    each other to avoid any hacking from someone else
    online?

    I realize I don't even NEED VMWare to do the above. I
    could in fact just use remote desktop. But what I'm
    getting at is that I may want to install a real web
    server on one of the virtual PCs so I can access it
    from work.

    Phew. Hope all these questions make sense.

    I'm in market for a new PC and will get dual core
    Athlon system with LOTS of ram

    John

    , Aug 5, 2005
  6. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Obviously by running virtual PCs, you need the CPU horsepower and
    >>especially the memory to handle multiple concurrently running virtual
    >>PCs. Virtual PC costs about $120.

    > Yes that was another idea I had
    >
    > I was thinking I could use VMWare or VPC... either one
    >
    > But could I make one of the virtual PCs a real server
    > that is accessible online all the time say from my
    > computer at work?

    The virtual PCs can be configured to communicate only amongst themselves
    or outside your host computer to your network. I suspect it uses NAT to
    route the virtual PCs through your NIC.

    > Here is what Id like to do:
    >
    > 1. Be able to access my Quicken form any computer in
    > the world so I can enter and edit daily expenses.

    Once you have your virtual PC setup and configured to connect out
    through your NIC, whether or not you can access from anywhere in the
    world depends entirely on how your network (outside of your PC) is
    configured. If you are on your company's domain, it is likely that you
    won't get past their firewall. Drilling in from the Internet to your
    host or any of its virtual PCs depends entirely on what is between your
    NIC and the Internet.

    > In what ways would it be advantageous to use VPC or
    > VMWare for this above?

    The last time I looked at the difference between VMware and VPC was that
    VMware isolated the emulated networking devices more securely than VPC,
    but VMware is a much pricier product.

    > Would it allow me to "wall off" certain functions from
    > each other to avoid any hacking from someone else
    > online?

    You can create your own private network amongst your virtual PCs. Or
    you can have them connect out through your NIC to your network. I
    haven't use VPC but only know enough to interest me as a solution for
    other problems, like learning the server OS without having to buy more
    hardware (other than more memory). I'm not the expert on VPC. There is
    a separate VPC newsgroup for that (microsoft.public.virtualpc).

    Vanguard, Aug 5, 2005
  7. Or a time limited version of win server 2000

    Harvey Haswood, Aug 7, 2005