    Tama Mativa Guest

    i have a canon A70

    can i recover my photos after ive done a format
    Tama Mativa, May 15, 2004

  2. Tama Mativa

    Marli Guest

    Yep, just get some software to do the job for you.
    Search google

    Marli, May 15, 2004

  3. Tama Mativa

    Tama Mativa Guest

    i used to be able to connect my camera and it would show in "my computer" as
    a drive

    this is not happening now, how can i see the camera as a drive so i can
    recover my photos

    i am running windows 2000

    Tama Mativa, May 15, 2004
  4. Tama Mativa

    Beck Guest

    Tama Mativa wrote:
    > i used to be able to connect my camera and it would show in "my
    > computer" as a drive
    >
    > this is not happening now, how can i see the camera as a drive so i
    > can recover my photos
    >
    > i am running windows 2000

    Have you installed the camera drivers/software ?
    Beck, May 15, 2004
  5. Tama Mativa

    Tama Mativa Guest

    yes ive installed the drivers and software and im able to download photos
    using the software from the camera to the harddrive

    but i remember i used to be able to see the camera as a drive and i could
    copy/paste in "my computer"

    Tama Mativa, May 15, 2004
  6. Tama Mativa

    Marli Guest

    I didnt think that with a Canon you could use it as a drive. They do have
    that other protocol they use but its not a proper drive as such.

    Marli, May 15, 2004
  7. Tama Mativa

    ferret Guest

    You will need a card reader so that the card appears as a drive and then use
    some software such as Photorescue. You can download an eveluation version
    from http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/ this will allow you to see what
    Photorescue is capable of finding. There are aother software packages -
    search via google. Most will allow you to trial them (but not actaully
    restore) to see how effective they are.
    Hope this helps

    Alan

    ferret, May 15, 2004
  8. Tama Mativa

    jean Guest

    If you did the format in the camera, try http://www.recover-my-photos.com/
    if you did the format in a card reader, then you could be in deep doodoo.

    Jean

    jean, May 16, 2004
  9. Yeah...
    The camera deletes an image by replacing the first character of the filename
    with a special character so the camera sees the space it occupies as being
    available to write on.

    Deleting files from the card with Windows replaces the first character of
    the filename too so if you can't get them back any other way, use Digital
    Image Recovery from:
    http://www.foto-erhardt.de/ The site is in German but find the red cross and
    it's the program. Works like a dream.

    WD.

    Not for Publication, May 16, 2004
  10. Chuck McDevitt, May 16, 2004
  11. Tama Mativa

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Photrescue will recover, but it seems to only work by analyzing and
    recovering all files on card, so it takes a few minutes. Worked with card
    formatted in reader from winxp. If you are going to do much of this, get a
    usb 2.0 reader.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, May 16, 2004
  12. Tama Mativa

    Dave Cohen Guest

    ps, my previous post assumed a 'quick' format. A full format would clean the
    card.

    Dave Cohen, May 16, 2004
  13. Tama Mativa

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Another addition to my previous posts. First, after I posted, I downloaded
    the updated version of photorescue. This runs an awful lot faster than my
    original 1.01.638 version.
    Two, reading the photorescue website it appears some cameras wipe the card
    clean on a format, no hope for those. My canon doesn't appear to do this.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, May 16, 2004
  14. Tama Mativa

    Tama Mativa Guest

    I have tried all the software suggestions and the programs dont seem to see
    my camera so im going to buy a card reader (as suggested) and see if the
    programs will be able to see the reader as a drive

    will any card reader do, do they all hook up to usb2 ?

    thanks to all for your help i will keep you posted

    Tama Mativa, May 17, 2004
  15. Tama Mativa

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Any card reader will work with usb 2, however, to get the performance gain
    of usb 2 you need a card reader that specifically supports usb 2. Beware of
    words like 'usb 2 compatible'. A true usb 2 card reader will cost more but
    is the preferred choice.
    Dave Cohen

    "HRosita" <> wrote in message
    > >i have a canon A70
    > >
    > >can i recover my photos after ive done a format

    > Hi,
    >
    > As long as you have not taken any additional pictures, there a programs

    that

    Dave Cohen, May 17, 2004
  16. Tama Mativa

    HRosita Guest