    I would like to know what additional thing I can do before I throw it
    away as "rubbish" ?

    Tks:(
    goolu, Nov 13, 2004

  2. goolu wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have one DVD ROM drive which can be detected by my PC on every
    > boot-up. However, as I insert CD into it and try to view CD's content,
    > DOS always reported drive failure. I'm sure the CDs are all normal
    > because they can be read in other PC's DVD drive.
    >
    > I have tried using LENS CLEANER to clean the drives. However, the
    > situation doesn't get improved.
    >
    > I would like to know what additional thing I can do before I throw it
    > away as "rubbish" ?
    >
    > Tks:(

    Remove the drive and check the pins on the IDE port on the back of the
    drive. My friend DVD drive was doing almost the same thing, and one of the
    pins was pushed in. He pulled the pin out a litte and it work now. If
    its something else, most likely it rubbish, since it most likely a
    internal problem with the drive. DVD drives are check, you can get a DVD
    burner for $80 or $90 bux today, and readers are even cheaper. My DVD
    reader/CDRW cost $50 and that was over a year ago.
    Quantum Leaper, Nov 13, 2004

  3. goolu

    JF Sebastian Guest

    goolu wrote:

    > I have tried using LENS CLEANER to clean the drives. However, the
    > situation doesn't get improved.

    Lens cleaners are toys, mostly useless. It takes five to ten years
    before lenses in optical drives get that dirty that a cleaning _might_
    be needed at all (unless you're a heavy smoker) and if it is needed, you
    get it less expensive and with much better results by simply opening the
    drive and gently (!) cleaning the lens with a q-tip and some pure
    alcohol (100%).

    And don't expect the optical pickup (the laser system) of a cheap drive
    to last the same 20 years as the one of a quality product anyway.

    > I would like to know what additional thing I can do before I throw it
    > away as "rubbish" ?

    Probably nothing.
    JF Sebastian, Nov 13, 2004
  4. >It takes five to ten years
    >before lenses in optical drives get that dirty that a cleaning _might_
    >be needed at all (unless you're a heavy smoker)

    In the case of smoke, it gets inside the optical pickup and fouls up other
    parts in addition to the objective lens, and this tarish residue is very
    difficult to remove.

    It ends up being impossible to remove the smoke residue from the innards of
    pickups because the only way to get to the residue that has taken residence
    inside to clean it off is to dismantle it, and many times trying to take apart
    a pickup will also essentially destroy it.

    This is why smoke can damage optical pickups, as well as lots of other
    electronic equipment. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 13, 2004
  5. Make sure there is a device driver installed for the drive.

    news.east.earthlink.net, Nov 16, 2004
  6. goolu

    RainLover Guest

    CD DVD +RW works perfectly, EXCEPT for ONE CD-ROM.... why???

    Hi everyone,

    I have a NEC ND2100AD on a WinXP machine (sp-2), and it has an odd
    problem. I'm trying to install some software from Canon, but the
    machine doesn't even recognize the cd as being there.

    When I first put in, my curser turns to a icon of a CD for a moment,
    then nothing... even in window explorer it shows nothing in the D:
    drive.

    The CD ROM works perfect in another computer.

    WHATS UP??

    THANKS!
    James, Seattle
    RainLover, Dec 6, 2004
  7. goolu

    Mr Jessop Guest

    Re: CD DVD +RW works perfectly, EXCEPT for ONE CD-ROM.... why???

    "RainLover" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have a NEC ND2100AD on a WinXP machine (sp-2), and it has an odd
    > problem. I'm trying to install some software from Canon, but the
    > machine doesn't even recognize the cd as being there.
    >
    > When I first put in, my curser turns to a icon of a CD for a moment,
    > then nothing... even in window explorer it shows nothing in the D:
    > drive.
    >
    > The CD ROM works perfect in another computer.
    >
    > WHATS UP??

    The next test is to see what cds or other disks will run in your drive if
    any or if it is just the canon cd.
    Mr Jessop, Dec 6, 2004
  8. goolu

    RainLover Guest

    Re: CD DVD +RW works perfectly, EXCEPT for ONE CD-ROM.... why???

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:04:11 GMT, "Mr Jessop" <>
    wrote:

    >"RainLover" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I have a NEC ND2100AD on a WinXP machine (sp-2), and it has an odd
    >> problem. I'm trying to install some software from Canon, but the
    >> machine doesn't even recognize the cd as being there.
    >>
    >> When I first put in, my curser turns to a icon of a CD for a moment,
    >> then nothing... even in window explorer it shows nothing in the D:
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> The CD ROM works perfect in another computer.
    >>
    >> WHATS UP??

    >The next test is to see what cds or other disks will run in your drive if
    >any or if it is just the canon cd.

    Yes, every CD, CD-ROM, and DVD work fine in my drive except for this
    Canon disk.... which the computer doesn't even see as THERE.

    james, Seattle
    RainLover, Dec 7, 2004
  9. goolu

    Tweek Guest

    Re: CD DVD +RW works perfectly, EXCEPT for ONE CD-ROM.... why???

    Tray making a copy of that disc in another machine and see if the NEC can
    read the copy.

    Tweek, Dec 7, 2004
  10. goolu

    Biz Guest

    "RainLover" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, every CD, CD-ROM, and DVD work fine in my drive except for this
    > Canon disk.... which the computer doesn't even see as THERE.
    >
    > james, Seattle

    This should be simple then, call Canon for a replacement after explaining
    that all disks except this one read fine.
    Biz, Dec 7, 2004