    at the lower resolution. Any suggestions or help in this matter would
    be greatly appreciated (and I hope I've explained it well enough).

    Thanks, Shep

    Shep Hellerman, Sep 17, 2007

  2. "Shep Hellerman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a Magnavoc MRV700VR DVD Recorder. My main purpose for buying
    > was to convert my VHS collection of home movies, old TV shows, etc. to
    > DVD for longer life. I also use computer software to create menus and
    > the ability to jump to chapters,etc, which is more of an enjoyable
    > hobby than a necessity.
    >
    > However, it would also be great to be able to record from TV and DVR.
    > My attempts at recording HD, wide screen programs, however, always
    > result in a "widescreen shaped" display, that would fit in a 4:3 box
    > (black bars on all four sides). Everything is there, not distorted in
    > anyway... just doesn't reach the edges of my widescreen HD TV.
    >
    > Barring going to HD/DVD recorder, is this the best I can do? I was
    > hoping that I could display at the same "size", but, understandably,
    > at the lower resolution. Any suggestions or help in this matter would
    > be greatly appreciated (and I hope I've explained it well enough).
    >
    > Thanks, Shep

    does your equipment have a 'record anamorphic' feature?
    that's what you need - maybe the dvr has such an option - so it will feed a
    truly wide image to your dvd recorder.

    --
    Gareth.

    That fly... is your magic wand.
    http://www.last.fm/user/dsbmusic/

    the dog from that film you saw, Sep 17, 2007

  3. Shep Hellerman

    Guest

    Shep Hellerman wrote:

    > I have a Magnavoc MRV700VR DVD Recorder. My main purpose for buying
    > was to convert my VHS collection of home movies, old TV shows, etc. to
    > DVD for longer life. I also use computer software to create menus and
    > the ability to jump to chapters,etc, which is more of an enjoyable
    > hobby than a necessity.
    >
    > However, it would also be great to be able to record from TV and DVR.
    > My attempts at recording HD, wide screen programs, however, always
    > result in a "widescreen shaped" display, that would fit in a 4:3 box
    > (black bars on all four sides). Everything is there, not distorted in
    > anyway... just doesn't reach the edges of my widescreen HD TV.
    >
    > Barring going to HD/DVD recorder, is this the best I can do? I was
    > hoping that I could display at the same "size", but, understandably,
    > at the lower resolution. Any suggestions or help in this matter would
    > be greatly appreciated (and I hope I've explained it well enough).
    >
    > Thanks, Shep

    Your recorder should record whatever signal is sent to it. The first
    thing
    to check is that you have its output setup for a 16:9 TV. If you do
    not,
    then it is outputting a signal meant for a 4:3 TV (black bars).

    I have read that some cable boxes will not output an anamorphic (16:9)
    widescreen picture via the composite (yellow) or s-video cables (you
    have
    to use the component, DVI or HDMI cable). As a test, you can plug the
    same
    cables you have going to your recorder into your HDTV and see if the WS
    picture is properly displayed.

    -Bill

    , Sep 18, 2007